Saturday, July 26, 2008

Up Next



I bought this now-OOP pattern a while ago for the orange/tan version because DS#2 likes the (DaVinci) shirts Charlie Sheen wears on Two And A Half Men. I also bought fabric. But then I let it sit and sit because I knew that *I* would be the one to iron this shirt every time it was laundered. I do well enough to keep up with my own ironing.

Fast forward to a thought just flying into my head one night last week: "Knit, Debbie. Make the shirt in knit."

Well, yeah, now it's obvious.

I've got some great Milano knits I bought I couple of years ago. They're a stable poly/cotton blend and wear like iron. This knit will be perfect for the shirt, perfect to save me from ironing something that's not mine, and perfect for using up stash that's not "my" colors, and which was bought with the men in mind to begin with.

I just finished cutting out the pattern and I'm going to work on sewing the shirt tonight. We'll see how far I get. DS has no idea I'm making it and with my luck, the surprise may go bust since he usually prefers "style input." Fingers crossed.

Update: The shirt is not finished, but DS has seen it and approves.

7 comments:

  1. That shirt is really different looking than the usual. I just picked it up on ebay as it has all the sizes even the little boys sizes. Since I have two small grandsons and one more on the way, I thought I would surely get a chance to use a boy pattern at some point. I can't wait to see what you are sewing with it I'll bet your son will love it. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. with hubski's travel, we are always looking for no-iron shirts. i've discovered that woven shirtings with a smidge of lycra are almost as good as those fancy schmansy no-iron shirts you can buy at the department store for $75. Downy Wrinkle Releaser is also a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, sounds like my son -- very clothes conscious. As a matter of fact, I would call him a clothes HORSE! Looking forward to seeing the end result

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're fans of 2 1/2 Men... I always notice Charlie's shirts. Hope I can find a pattern (or do my own) for that idea. My boys would love it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remembered where else I have seen these type shirts. I think"Tony" and son "AJ" wore them on sopranos sometimes. My guess is they were very expensive brands in keeping with the upscale image the producers wanted to convey of their lifestyle. I never shop anymore- will have to have a look at the DaVinci type shirts in rtw. That is a great tip from mermaids about the stretch in the shirtings and also your using the knit. I with you . The only ironing I want to do is mine and dh's dress shirts that he wears to church. Being a farmer, the cotton ones he favors daily do fine hung out in the sun or hung up from the dryer thankfully. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I can't wait to see the finished shirt. My hubby would love those. You are fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a whole wardrobe of those style shirts for my husband planned out. Only about 2 made. We have to watch Two and a Half Men every night so that *I* can make note (his request) of whatever style Charlie Sheen is wearing in a particular episode so that he can have 25 different shirts with matching styles for our baby boy. That's the goal.

    What type of fabric did you originally intend? I have several pieces of "manly looking" (husband's words, not mine) rayon challis that he picked out as well as a whole bunch of dirt cheap polyester poplin. That's his favorite. Go figure, a guy who wants shirts made from tablecloths!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.