Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Little Sunday Sewing



My sewing weekend was shorter than I had planned since the construction workers putting in a new sidewalk on our road cut my telephone and internet lines Friday morning and I wasn't back up and running until late Friday afternoon. Grrr.

The telephone company had to run brand new lines from the street to our house, which is more than 1,000 feet of line. Apparently the construction workers have been doing this all week up and down my road but the bright side of their incompetence is at least they now have a direct line to who to call to get it fixed fast and the technician was at my house within an hour. No internet gave me a chance to catch up on some non-crucial paperwork for work but it also put me a day behind on the more important stuff, which meant working Saturday too.

The telephone company still has to come back out and bury the new line and the construction company owes me a new mailbox since they totalled that too. More fun stuff to deal with tomorrow.

But I did finally get into the sewing room this afternoon. I putzed around with the Vogue Betzina jeans pattern, comparing it to a TNT BWOF pattern and sorting out pieces from the Vogue pattern that I want to morph onto the BWOF pattern. But then I decided I really wanted to actually finish something so I rolled those patterns up, stuck them on a shelf on my cutting table, and decided to return to them later in the week.

Unfortunately, I didn't actually finish this top either. I couldn't let well enough alone and had to make design changes to my TNT pattern (BWOF 05-2006-111) by adding the pieced-in waistband front and back, and then I fought with neck binding for probably an hour. The binding strip kept wanting to curl off the edge of the neckline and also twist as it fed into the binder. I really needed 3 hands for this one, but settled for 2 hands and a mouth. It was quite a sight to see, I'm sure, but I did finally get it done evenly and to my satisfaction. I really didn't want to have to settle for "almost" so I kept re-doing it.

I haven't pressed the waistband so it's looking very puckery in this pic, the sleeves aren't in yet, and the sideseams are just pinned to Zillie. But I'll do all of that in the morning, plus hems, and then it will be done. This is one of my favorite patterns and I've been meaning to make it again all summer long. Today being the official last day of summer means nothing here in Florida. It will still be summer for at least 2 more months, although thankfully the humidity is starting to subside a little.

BTW, the crotch towels were a big hit, although DS' team still lost the game. The comments some of you left just cracked me up. But then how often do you get to comment on crotch towels? ;-)

Have a good week! Hopefully, I'll check in before next weekend to show you the finished top.

12 comments:

  1. Digging it! You know you look great in brown. Never mind the weather, with brown you can confidently say you've already made an inroad into your fall wardrobe. (Commenting while America sleeps...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top in looking great, I love the fabric combination. I too fought for hours putting in the binding for my BWOF dress but I finally made it work...and here I thought it would be done by Monday oh well

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top is really looking great. I really love the color and print of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that top, love the fabric. I'd wear it without the sleeves, but then where I live, the sleeves would be necessary after the one month of summer we get. Sorry about the phone line issues and having to work on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this top. I have had issues with my phone and you are very lucky to get it fixed so quickly. It took us 2 weeks without a phone to get it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely great. I love the combo of prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet little top.You choose a beautiful print combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the print you used for this top...gosh I miss being able to work with funky kewl prints like this...it's going to be a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pattern! A water main broke on the next street over, which meant traffic was diverted onto our 1.5 lane wide road Saturday for 4 hours. I'll tell you what, it wasn't pretty. Even less so for neighbors, who don't have wells (but I do, so life went on...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the top! Your choices in fabrics are always top notch. Glad to see your posts again. My Jalie patterns arrived and the fabric as well. Now I just have to find the time to cut them and sew them. I'm heading down your way on Thursday to visit my DD and her family in Winter Springs, well kind of in your vicinity, so no sewing for me until early October.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do such beautiful work. I hope everything is okay I miss your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please let us know you are ok.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.