Monday, June 22, 2009

Night and Day

On the PR message boards, I joked that halfway into the cleaning process the machine was not yet showing a Night and Day difference, more like Night and Mid-Afternoon. Last night, she reached Night and Day status.

I still need to get further into the bobbin winding area, which will require some disassembly (and a new rubber wheel). But my fingers and hands are sore and I needed to clean up the 2-day mess I had going in kitchen so that will wait for another weekend.

Here are some more comparison shots …

Front After:



Front Before:



Back After. Notice the area near the side plate (on the far right in photo), where the decal is not even faintly visible in the Before pic. I almost missed this decal, it was so covered in gunk.



Back Before. And yes, Dani does have to be right in the middle in both shots. ;-)



Side After:



Side Before:



Before starting the cleaning process, I noticed that it looked like someone had taped something around the neck of the machine, over the Singer logos. DonnaH explained to me that it was very common for women to wrap fabric around this area to use as a pincushion, with the resulting bunch of tiny scratches being called "pin rash." While I was able to get most of the tape (or whatever) residue off, I could not get it all without damaging the decals further. It's just evidence that at some point in her life, this machine was used as more than a side table.

I mentioned this little bit of trivia to DH — whose father is holding my MIL's treadle in his basement for me to have one day — and he confirmed that yep, his mother did the same thing. Funny. But I couldn't imagine sticking pins into my Designer 1. Then again, I also can't imagine it lasting 93 years. I wonder if the original owner of this machine had any idea hers would still be sought after almost a hundred years later.

17 comments:

  1. Wow! She is bee-you-tee-ful. What are you using, in addition to the ever popular elbow grease?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks wonderful all spruced up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith,
    On the machine body/decals, I used dishsoap (Sun & Earth) and water, scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and then wiping down with a clean, wet cloth to remove the soap residue. On the metal parts, I used Brasso and steel wool and LOTS of elbow grease and then rinsed, dried with a towel and replaced the parts. On the inside parts, I sprayed WD-40 and let it set/drip for a while. Then I wiped it down with a rag and/or q-tips. Repeated a few times making sure the last wipe removed as much WD-40 as possible so I wouldn't have to do this again in 6 months. Then I applied 1-2 drops of sewing machine oil to the moving parts. The last step was to wax the whole outside with a carnuba car wax. It took 2 whole days, morning to late-night, to clean everything. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That machine cleaned up really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The machine is looking great. With the interest that Dani is showing, I wonder if you can use some of that terrier energy and teach her to treadle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You've done an amazing job with her! Now to get her treadling again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful machine! My husband bought me 2 treadle machines as a gift several years ago. At the time I was ungrateful. Now after living in the country for 4 years and losing electricity constantly I am eyeballing these machines more lovingly. They need belts and I found a website for a manual. One of my machines is a white maybe 1911? Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I have two old Singers, one being a treadle, that could really use some TLC. Thanks for the cleaning tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pin rash! I never knew it had a name. My Wilcox & Gibbs has the same thing, alas the enamel is worn off all the way down to the base metail, which is scratched pretty good too. The piece of flannel I took off must have been at least 60 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your hard work paid off. You have a beautiful machine. Now for treadling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Those decals certainly show up now. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it looks wonderful. I have a 1929 treadle -the cabinet looks similar to yours although I don't think it has pretty decals but they may also be covered in gunk. Thanks for the tips - I will have to get some of the things you mentioned and clean it up. Do you have any place you like to get supplies from- I think mine needs a new throat plate and maybe a couple of other things-not really sure. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So it wasn't jut my Granny that had a piece of wool flannel wrapped around for the pins-it was actually quite handy! She was Scottish, and came to Australia in 1927, so I don't know if it was a Scottish thing or an Oz thing. Mum didn't have it on her treadle though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, You machine looks great!! I saw your post on Ismacs regarding the change from a back clamp to side clamp. I also would like to change my restored 66 backclamp and will follow your responses!! Thanks
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely having treadle envy! My grandmother told me she would give me hers and when she was in the midst of Alzheimer's, she gave it away to her other grandchild when she asked (not even a blood relation to her. Yeah, that hurt. That was the ONLY thing I ever wanted from her---no jewelry, no artwork, nothing else. Ah...must remember to move on ;) .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice machine! Mine still needs a bit more cleaning, someday. My Singer 15 also had the fabric around the head, no tape though. I can see where it would be a handy thing to do. I'd consider it on my (newish) Viking, but no place to do so - either the light or the control panel is in the way. If I *did* put one of these on, I'd try to find a way to back it so pins didn't go through to the machine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.