Sunday, September 13, 2009

And One More



Are you tired of seeing my bras yet? I know I am, even if this one is fun to look at. But I'm giving up for a while, until I have the proper fabrics.



This is made using the latest "redraft" which incorporates the power bar on the side. It technically fits fine but the fabric is wrong and there is absolutely no support in the lower cups. That is the only bad thing about sewing bras … there's really no such thing as a "down and dirty" muslin which means you really don't know what you've got until you're just about done making a whole bra.

I feel like I've wasted a lot of time the last few weeks sewing bras I'm not going to wear, but I know it's not really completely wasted because I do have a good pattern now. I just need to marry it to the correct fabric. And hopefully the bra mojo will be back when the fabric arrives.

So this afternoon I put away the bra supplies for a while and turned my attention to some instant gratification sewing.



I traced, cut out and sewed Jalie 2804 for DS#2's girlfriend. Sorry it's just pinned on Zillie but (1) there was no way it was going to fit Zillie and (2) I wasn't going to embarrass the GF (or myself) with begging for modeled shots for my blog. ;-)

I completely guessed on her size, choosing size "R", and made no alterations other than to listen to my inner voice and trace up a size at the hips and to scoop out the back neck as I always do for Jalie patterns. It fits her perfectly. Ah, to have that 17-year old body again. But even my 17-year old body would've needed an FBA. Hers does not. The empire seam falls exactly where it should right out of the envelope. It was nice to see first-hand that patterns as drafted do actually fit someone. ;-)

I wish I did have a pic with her wearing it so you could see how nice it looks on her. The colors and style suit her very well. She's usually a very plain t-shirt kind of girl so this is a bit "wild" for her, but I do think she'll wear it. Either that or she's a very good actress. LOL! But as I told her, even if she never does wear it, it's OK and it won't hurt my feelings. It was fun for me to make and that's all I was after.

The white modesty panel is part of the pattern and is sewn into the upper bodice. I like the elastic trim I used. It looks like it's floating in air, but there's a clear mesh area which gives that illusion. The GF liked the faux cami, noting how much cooler it would be than to wear a real cami underneath.



I think the whole thing took me 2 hours start to finish. And probably 3/4 yard of fabric. Do I sound jealous? ;-)

* * * * *

In football news, DS's game was first delayed and then cancelled Friday night due to a nasty t-storm that wouldn't go away. The game was rescheduled for Saturday afternoon, and they won. Yay Cougars! They're now 2-0 and first in their division.

17 comments:

  1. You're so nice to make the top for your son's GF. It's very cute fabric and a very cute top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top. It would be such fun to see it on her. Too bad GF would be mortified posing for a picture for her BF's mother's blog. Nice of you to be sensitive to these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a darling shirt for a 17 yo girl. Congrats to your ds and his winning football team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I totally need a leopard print bra. And, very cute t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tee, especially the fabric. I'd wear that myself, but then I'd need a multitude of alterations. Oh to be able to sew from the envelope. Sigh! It would make sewing soooo much more enjoyable. I can't even sew for DD straight out of the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Move over Victoria's Secret! You could make PJ bottoms to match that bra and have a lingerie set. That's a cute top. I bet it felt good to you to do some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've sewn four bras and don't quite have it right yet; it looks like you have a winner with your latest iteration. The top looks great! BTW, I frequently use your tutorials and just yesterday used one to make an FBA on a surplice top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a pretty top. What a lucky girl! I've never sewn anything without FBA, either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I like the "unusual" bras. I love the fabric in the Tee Shirt. Where did it come from? Is it just something you had lying around?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute and how little fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Less than a yard for that cute top nd no alterations- oh to be young and small again would be great. How nice that you have your bra pattern to tnt status. Finding a bra is always expensive since I have to try different ones to find the one I want and even though I buy as many as I can find of one I like eventually the hunt has to start again. With my dismal sewing track record this year and reading this while wearing a pair of rtw elastic waist capris,I will just enjoy your sewing adventures. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun bra, and again your determination is impressive as you said you have to pretty much finish a bra to know if it's going to work. Meanwhile over here on Planet Brussels we also had a big t-storm Friday night that cancelled the weekly summer roller skate tour the city and community promote. Nice of DS's gf to appreciate her fancy top, and that it fit almost straight outta the envelope! Kudos to you for guessing her size so accurately. And finally, go Cougars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad you stop sewing lingerie for a while. Isn't there anywhere you can get the right fabric, because you have the right pattern now. I keep up the good hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Debbie-I've been following your bra making with close attention as I think we have the same 'issues'(ie more breast tissue at the sides than is helpful :-} )Did you come up with that black panel shape yourself or was it from a pattern? I'd love to be able to duplicate it for myself.
    Aless

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ms. Debbie, you are my inspiration. I love the work you do and can spend a lot of time on your site. I just bought a cover-stitch machine and it is on the way. The bras are fab. My favs are the tops and the way you modify them from one pattern to make them your own. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that fabric for the top. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bra looks great, and I think all the work redrafting is worth it, a proper-fitting bra pattern must be worth its weight in gold. I've had a bit of luck with a KwikSew pattern but have yet to perfect it, I want to make fun bras out of cool fabrics like yours here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.