Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cleared for Take-off



It looks like he was doing all the work in this photo, but we actually shared equally. I needed his brute strength to get the lug nuts and wheels off, and to break the initial grip of the bolts on the calipers. I'm sure I could've done it, but why strain when he was right there! He was amazed at how easy it was. Of course then I had to throw in an "I told you so." ;-)

We were done in an hour. I think we would've spent more time shuttling the car to/from a repair shop. We definitely would've spent a ton more money, and been "advised" to spend more. And we wouldn't have had such a fun (yes, fun!) mother-son bonding morning.

Kidding aside, if you have a jack, stands, a socket wrench, a big C clamp (for pushing the caliper pistons back into the casing) and a teenaged boy/strong person for the grunt work, anyone can replace brake pads. Sheesh, brakes pads are a no-brainer compared to Burda WOF instructions! Only a few years ago I probably wouldn't have ever considered doing this job until I was sort of forced into being a brake assistant by my older son. At that point, I realized just how easy it is to replace the major brake parts and how ripped off you are at brake shops. Seriously ripped off. At the very least, inspect your calipers and rotors yourself from time to time before you go into a shop. You can see them without taking the wheel off. A little education could save you hundreds in repairs you don't actually need because those brake shops love to scare you into thinking you need the whole shebang when you don't. Still don't believe how easy it is? Check out this video.

Side note: That little green chair in the photo? Playskool circa 1983. Best money ever spent. We bought a new table and 2 chairs set when the boys were little, which was used all the time back then and we're still using the chairs for odd things like this. It's amazing how useful a tiny chair can be.

11 comments:

  1. My husband always does ours. And changes the oil. I asked him after reading your post "is it that easy?" yeah it is he says. I will stick to oiling the sewing machine.Thanks for the post. You are one get it done woman aren't you? I am in awe. seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing oil is something we don't do at home. lol ... it's only about $15.99 at the oil change shop up the road and that's worth it to me, mostly to NOT have to deal with collecting and disposing of the used oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lucky. My husband works construction so there are times when he doesn't have any work. In his off time he does mechanic work. We have a separate two-car garage on our property with its on own driveway that is his workshop. Right now there are four cars there waiting for his expertise. A money saver and a money maker. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo! Ironic that you posted do-it-yourself car repair the morning after a big brake replacement on our old car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how useful those tiny chairs can be... and things like those Little tykes wagons; I've moved household twice using a 21 year old little red wagon to do the grunt work (yes, and maybe a teenaged son too!). Thanks for reminding us that we don't need to be helpless in terms of maintaining our cars. ... or our sewing machines.
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing your own brake pads....I am so massively impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Debbie! Especially the chair and comparing the process with Burda instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tan Playskool chairs like that. They are astonishingly useful. I also have a Step 3 garden cart that arrived here one day in a shipping error from Sears, and it is great, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one making good use of my kids' old toys.

    I made all of my kids learn to change their own oil and brake shoes. But I won't let them change their oil here, since it's so cheap to have it done at any shop. I gave them knowledge, and they have to decide how to best use it. (My oldest daughter decided she could change her alternator after her male roommates laughed at her for not wanting to spend the money for a new one to be installed.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. Maybe I should for my car. It's INSANE what they charge for a oil change on a MINI. $90 at the regular guy about over $150 at the dealership (dodges). But, I put so few miles on my car I only "have" to do it once a year. Not that I've done it yet (dodges again).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheesh, brakes pads are a no-brainer compared to Burda WOF instructions!

    That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rock! No mystery you've raised such capable sons...
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.