Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Home on Leave



We're home with our new Marine! Our trip was good, and Family Day and Graduation were fun. After the Private was dismissed, we drove up to my mom's in Virginia for Thanksgiving. We left Virginia Saturday and arrived back in Florida in the wee hours of Sunday morning. The Marine passed out in the car at 9 PM, being used to getting up at 0400 and to bed at 2100.

I was *very* sick the week before we left and had a relapse in SC the day before Family Day, but I made it. I never did have any pie on Thanksgiving — that's how sick I was. lol But my son made up for me. I've never seen him eat SO much and SO fast. And he hasn't stopped yet.

Apart from being an eating machine, he is exactly the same young man who left for Parris Island 3 months ago. Which is good. Many teenagers do change at boot camp, but Tyler is older and already had the Marine persona and values, so I wasn't really expecting major changes.

He did great and says boot camp was easier than he thought it would be, even fun sometimes. He earned the highest rating of Expert on the rifle range (you can see his badge above), and excelled at all physical and written tests. We're very proud of him!

I'll be scarce for the next week as I catch up with both my son and work. Being down for the count for two weeks has left me with a big pile. The sewing room will gather dust for a while longer.

The Marine will be off again on December 7 for his combat training in North Carolina for a month, then he'll be off to his first school in Pensacola and somewhere else for the next school, the location of which he'll find out after he's through the first school. We won't be seeing much of him for the next few years, but at least he will have his cell phone and laptop back.

I'll leave you with this photo taken at my mom's. He's not entirely pressed out or wearing his ribbon and badge, but we *had* to see him in his Dress Blues. ;-)

18 comments:

  1. How handsome. You must be proud of him. Have the best of holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie - I hope you are feeling better and so happy for you that you had a great time. You must be so proud of your son - what a fine young man you have raised. Handsome too! He will excel, I'm sure. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the mother of a veteran I know full well the pride you feel. A pride well deserved for all of you. Continued blessings to all of you as he serves our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well - glad that you are better! And you should be very proud of that wonderful young man...it is an amazing task he's taken on...serving his country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be sooooo proud! I'm proud and I don't even KNOW your son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is so handsome, I know you are soooo proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How proud you must be. He looks so handsome in his uniforms. Shame you have been unwell, but hopefully all better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's too bad he won't be home for Christmas, but it is wonderful that he's home for a week. Love and wishes for your son's continued success and enjoyment of his career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice visit you had. And how proud your family must be of your son. Please thank him for his service. We appreciate him, and those he servew with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He looks great in his uniform! and how nice to hear he did so well.

    I went straight to trades training after my boot camp and so had the same style of mess hall food, which tends to not be so great..however I still remember my first trip home after that....home cooked food was soooo delicious ~ I just couldn't get enough :)

    Enjoy your time together!

    Glad you're feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, enjoy your time with your son. Congrats to him, he looks so handsome in his uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know seeing your son was special! I was born and raised in Pensacola - I am also familiar with the base(s) there as I come from a military family. My hometown will take good care of him! Tell him that when he visits Pensacola Beach to keep traveling on the main road (Via de Luna) past the boardwalk, and there will be several pull-offs for non-touristy parts of the beach. It's the locals' secret. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marines are so handsome in their dress uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a handsome fellow! Congrats to him and you! I hope you enjoy this time together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As the mother of two Marines, I know how proud you are. These experiences stay with them forever. Hope you're better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good looking fellow, you can't help be proud!!!!

    But where are you? I love reading your blog and you sewing is so inspiring, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the family! My son and Daughter are both active Marines! Semper Fi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.