Sunday, February 19, 2012

Can You Stand Another Shopping Post?

I promise this will be a sewing blog again one of these days, just not for a couple of weeks at least. Carolyn's post the other day really resonated with me, because even before she wrote it I was thinking the same thing about my blog. I like sharing details and usually do when I have them, but lately, my sewing has been down and dirty, with pretty easy projects, and my time for details has been limited so I've been putting out more "look at what I did" posts instead of sharing the process. But I tend to go in cycles with most aspects of my life, so if you're hoping for construction details on more complicated projects, hang in there — they'll be back eventually.

I worked yesterday from 9:30-4:00 and again today from 9:00-3:00, and I got a lot done. Yesterday morning, our network went down. Thankfully, everything I had planned to do is not on the network so it didn't affect me too badly. But our email is down, which means Outlook is down, which means I can't access the emails and lists of stuff I need to do other things on my long list. It was still down when I left the office today, so I'm sure there will be grumbling in the morning, but, really, what can you do? It will be fixed when it's fixed. I'm sure the IT peeps had better things to do on their weekend too.

I planned to stop at the mall today on the way home to return some things from my recent JCPenney  and Coldwater Creek orders. Well, I didn't make it out of JCP so CWC will have to wait until another day. But I hit the mother lode, and had to talk myself OUT of many things because my closet is close to bursting at the seams as it is and I do plan to sew soon, AND I still had the things waiting at home that I kept. But what's working overtime good for if you don't spend some of the bonus money on fun stuff, right? ;-)

So, here we go …

I love this outfit. The blouse has a flounce around the vee neck and cute cap sleeves. It's lined front and back (sans sleeves), and I'm digging the 1940s vibe. Now I *need* some spectator pumps. The skirt is black, with gray dots …

… which you can see a little better here if you click the pic to enlarge it.


This skirt below is a little tight at the moment, but how could I resist an ORANGE skirt? You *know* my love affair with that color! Plus, look at it with my recent blouse purchase from CWC. I'm pretty sure by summer, the skirt will fit great. It really only needs about 5 more lbs gone. I think I may get the turquoise one too. At $20, fully lined with back welt pockets, I can't even THINK about making it for less.


I'm not sure about this top. It's really more for the weekend, but it blouses in a way that makes me look like I have jelly rolls around my waist. I think if I hem it shorter, that will fix it, but I'm still thinking about it. It's brown/beige, not black. The skirt is a jeans skirt (fly front, scoop front pockets, back jeans-style pockets). Also for the weekend, and jeans Fridays. (I not especially fond of jeans Fridays, BTW. I just don't like dressing DOWN for work. I feel schlumpy.) New shoes also, which I just ADORE!! They are 4.5" platform espadrilles, with bone patent leather cris-cross peep toe uppers, and they are extremely comfortable. I'm going to wear the heck out of these this summer and I'm already regretting not buying a back-up pair, since they're now sold out.


This blouse looks better without a flash photo, since all the contrast is washed out and it (and me) looks like a big blob. It's ivory, with a matching separate cami underneath and a bias tube belt with rings on either side. It's has seamed, gathered shoulders and is very floaty and pretty. And it's ONLY NINE BUCKS. Run to JCP and buy yourself one.


It's also got lingerie guards already in place. I nearly fainted when I saw that, FOR ONLY NINE BUCKS!


Green jacket. This is badly in need of a pressing and the back vent is still stitched closed so it's sitting a little snug at the hips until I snip that. Only $35. And more new shoes. Black loafer platform pumps. I'm still deciding on these. I like them and they're comfortable, but will I kill myself walking around in such high heels? Trust me, they are MUCH taller than they look in this pic.I'm almost 5'10" in these suckers since I could look Alex in the eye, and look at where my head hits on the door compared to the pic below. I also bought the white tee today too. You can't see any details, but it's a ruffle knit and will be a good basic underlayer. It's too long at the moment, though, so it needs a trip through the coverstitcher. There! I mentioned sewing. ;-)


This blouse is gauze-like, but a little more substantial. It has flounces on the 3/4 sleeves and the matching tank came with it. The blouse definitely needs to be belted and the armholes are low/wide, but it will be so comfortable when the humidity is at 3000% in August that I'm willing to overlook those deficiencies. And are you diggin' my Carolyn shoes?? I love them! Unfortunately, they are a little too wide (in the regular width) which you can sorta see at the back of the foot on your left, but I'm going to buy some foam insoles and I'm keeping them. I loved them when I saw them on Carolyn and I love them in person. Better a little too wide than too tight. ;-)


A new necklace.


And, finally, another new tote bag. I like this one better because it's bigger and costs less, so I'm sending the other one back to Zappos. If you're like me and don't need someone else's name or logo on your bag, then JCP is the place to shop. They always have a ton of nice bags at great prices. I can buy shoes all day (and night!), but I'm really cheap when it comes to purses.


So what did YOU do this weekend? I think NEXT weekend, I need to be dumping all the things in my closet I've been holding on to that are really just too darn big. I now desperately need the space.

20 comments:

  1. You look quite like the up-and-coming young executive!

    Since you asked, my DD drove from Clearwater, and we drove from Daytona, to meet at a Turkish restaurant in Orlando (on 17, half-way between oriental row on 50 and Leu Gardens) called Atilla's. O.M.G. The food was so very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that blouse too. I just wanted to tell you that I have really appreciated the posts you have done where you talked about HOW you did things . I really found your information on Flatlocking really useful too . So thank you for all the time and effort you have put in doing the hard yards for all of us out there . I have a blog too but although I have been sewing I havent made any posts for ages for a whole range of reasons. I must start again as being part of a community is so great especially when sewists are still a bit rare.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay my post wasn't directed at you at all! I'm really liking this phase of your blog because you are sharing with us the latest stage of your life, plus you are working a lot right now and need to gain some work/life balance...but that will come and the sewing will come back then to.

    I'm so glad that you like the shoes...did you only buy the one pair? Cause I bought them in the black too...they were so cute and so inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know "life" happens and colors everything we do, and it's somehow comforting to see that when we have downs there will be ups. I do enjoy all the shopping pics and what I made pics, but a steady diet of just one thing, re: "What I'm wearing (Erica B's DIY)'s" lately gets a little tiresome.

    I first stumbled on your blog, searching for info on FBA and drafting slopers, and I discovered so much more. Your thorough description of techniques (coverstitch, eShrug adjustments, sleeves for V1250, etc.) hooked me as a follower immediately. (Way before you changed your blog header.) There are many lurkers out here who appreciate the time you devote to your blog, and we do like to hear what's happening in "life".

    I would have commented on Carolyn's blog, but her options make me unable to do so.

    From Joy in Palmland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your permanent job--I'm so glad they made an offer!
    Enjoy purging your closet next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well congratulations on the fulltime position. It would be no surprise that right now you might not be able to post sewing tutorials. This is your blog. Its not a job. You shouldn't feel indebted to anyone. I for one, am enjoying the posts and seeing that you are enjoying your new job. Oh, and boy, did you ever hit the motherload at JCP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not so sure that anonymous calling out Erica B's blog as tiresome was very nice, really. I enjoy that as well. I like seeing how a pattern looks on someone with a real body, not a stick figure, before I attempt it. I enjoy all of these blogs...through the ups, the downs, the sewing, the jobs, everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy construction posts, rtw purchasing posts, product posts as well as what I am wearing posts. It all motivates my sewing mojo and enlightens me to sewing/dressing outside my comfort zone. I love your purchase haul and its great to find some rtw gems at too good to pass up prices, a great way to mix rtw garments with what we've made and/or rejuvenate an out of rotation garment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Please, you of all people do not need to apologize for not writing in detail about sewing. Your tutorials and coverstitch section on your blog are amazing and such a great resource. Write about whatever you want, it`s all good. Besides the fact it is fun watching you lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so bad! All that shopping is uncalled for. Okay I admit I'm jealous. I haven't been shopping at all other than a new pair of shoes. Your are really putting together some nice outfits. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Arlene: I have been following Debbie's and Erica's blogs for years and Carolyn's for some time now, too. Debbie asked question(s) referring to Carolyn's question inviting opinions. I merely made a comment using Erica's posts of late as an example. I didn't say Erica's blog was tiresome, just that it was tiresome to see her focused on just one thing for so long. The blogs are their's to write - what they please, when they please, and how often they please. If when reading it doesn't interest me, I'll skip it on by. That doesn't mean it won't appeal to me on another day...I do go back and re-read older posts. If you re-read my earlier comment, I said, "I do enjoy all the shopping pics and what I made pics..".

    I'm well aware of "life happening" and sometimes not having all the hours in a day you need. (I worked 2 jobs for 9 years as a single parent to raise and put a child through college.) I also know Debbie is a Powerhouse and can tackle anything life deals her and deserves any rest or break she takes. And Erica as well is such an expert in her clothing details inside and out...IMHO I think at this time she probably is wrapped up in the new Isabella (and rightly so). I'm sorry you think I wasn't being nice as that was not my intention.

    ps. I agree with all ElleC said.

    Joy in Palmland

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy all your posts. Shopping sewing kids whatever. I think you probably have a wicked sense of humor also. Your personality is what makes this blog interesting. You are never condescending and your verve shines through no matter what. That is why I come back regularly. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy all your posts. Shopping sewing kids whatever. I think you probably have a wicked sense of humor also. Your personality is what makes this blog interesting. You are never condescending and your verve shines through no matter what. That is why I come back regularly. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 4.5" heels!?
    I'm nearly speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The green jacket, denim skirt and the BAG! Love the bag.

    DH is one of those IT guys and got called on Sunday morning. He is self-employed and doesn't get overtime. He will see them Monday;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your posts are always interesting, in part, I think, because you include a self-modeled photo of each item which really makes it possible to see how things go together. And takes considerable time, I'm sure!
    I'm also a fan of the green jacket. Actually I like pretty much everything from this shopping trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Joy/anonymous: No harm done, Thats just what it sounded like to me. I say they all keep doing what they all do, cause I read and love them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. To Arlene: In total agreement here.

    Joy in Palmland

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice finds! I think that green jacket looks super sharp on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats again. All your posts are great whether they are technical or celebrating where you're at. And I want that green jacket. RTW at those prices can't be sneezed at even when they fit so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.