Friday, February 24, 2012

It's Official

I finally received my official offer letter today. The big boss had been out of town due to a death in the family, and the paperwork had to wait for her return. She was so cute hand-delivering it to my far-away location with a big you-know-what-eating grin on her face. Imagine my shock when I read the letter and saw that my salary offer is 10% more than what I'm making now through the agency, which was already pretty darn good (not bragging, just so happy I lucked into this whole thing). I couldn't sign that sucka fast enough. lol

My official start date on the firm's payroll is Monday. I have an appointment with HR that morning, which I'll have to squeeze into the middle of our big event preparation chaos, during which I'll sign the gazillion policy and benefit papers presented in this neat binder (ironically parts of which I actually helped design. lol). The benefits are more than very generous, and they begin immediately — no waiting period at all. Health, dental, vision, life, disability, 401k with matching funds, Flexible Spending Account, 18 days PTO for the first 2 years (then more) plus 10 holidays plus 1 floater, a year-end bonus, free financial planner advice, free mental health and other counseling if wanted, and probably other stuff I'm not remembering due to the haze of legalese on a gazillion papers. Woot!! Ya gotta love the big law firms!! So, not only did my actual expected salary go up 10% but if you add in the value of the benefits … well, let's just say I'm never quitting this job. Ever. (And if some years down the road I grumble about going to work, refer me to this post, please.)


A nice touch to all the paperwork was this little card, which says it all, plus inside, "We're so glad to have you here."


Today was another party day, even though we have SO MUCH work to get done by next Thursday. We had a catered lunch/meeting/goodbye-predecessor/welcome-me from 12:00-1:00 PM and at 4:00 PM, we pretty much shut down for a cocktail & goodies party to send off my predecessor, who looked like she was having second thoughts — I know I would be. lol

As I was leaving for the evening, my computer was being transferred to my new/old spot back in Marketing. I'll be working tomorrow and Sunday, and the first thing I'll do is move all my piles of projects to my new/old desk and get myself re-situated. I can't wait! And, it will be good practice for when I'm moving out of my current house and into a new place. ;-)

41 comments:

  1. Congratulations Debbie.
    What wonderful news - can't half tell that you're very happy with this latest development in your life! What a lovely card too.

    What's PTO? I'm assuming it's personal time off? I get 10 days a year of sick leave, 20 days annual leave, superanuation, workcover which is standard for australian employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - imagine all of the fabric, clothing and shoes that 10% will get you - my thoughts are if you weren't expecting that 10% then it is "free" money for which to play with ;-)

    Seriously - congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you!! As excited as you are I highly doubt there will be any grumbling in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PTO generally is personal time off. You acquire so many hours a pay period and use it for whatever. There is no difference between sick leave and vacation time under such a system. The last time I had this we got 15 days per year doled out at about 5 hours per pay period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you!! As excited as you are I highly doubt there will be any grumbling in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations by the way. Great news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for keeping us poor plebs up to scratch with your movements. I couldn't be more proud and happy for you than if you were one of my own.
    Full steam ahead, Debbie. It is so nice to read of 'happy' instead of 'doom, gloom and poor me' As we say here.... you done good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Sounds like you will be working in one friendly place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many many congrats!! You have definitely earned this job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I would stay just for the benefits! LOL. Really, I am happy for you! And an extra 10%--wow--more fabric! more shoes! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, how exciting. Everything is just falling into place for you. I'm so glad you're getting the salary you deserve and won't have to move into something too small for your sewing therapy, even if the job comes with a free therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow congrats! Sounds like the dream job. Your old job that is up for grabs, who do I need to speak to? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! Congratualtions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful news! Maybe you can fill out as much as you can over the weekend, saving time on Monday.

    So, when do we begin to vicariously experience your next "move"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! More money for more fabric purchases. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful news! You've worked so hard and surely have proven yourself with all those extra hours. Wise investment of time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have followed this journey of yours and have enjoyed your wit, your anxieties, your joy, your angst, and how gracefully you have handled so much transition. So very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to hear the news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way cool! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! The benefits are amazing. Glad that you are so happy with it.
    Sounds like you'll be able to afford a very nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delurking to say...awesome/terrific/fabulous news. So good that you've got a better/permanent work situation.
    doing a happy dance in my computer chair for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's awesome-ness Debbie - so please for you :)!!

    (Plus, I am feeling a little bit selfish in that I'm keen to see how you'll set up your sewing space in your future-new-home-to-be later down the line.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You sound so happy! Congrats on officially getting your deserved benefited job....sounds like a great place to work! ~Bev

    ReplyDelete
  25. You seem so happy - and rightfully so. Woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So happy for you Debbie! You certainly deserve all the goodness coming your way. Your skills and general excellence will always be in demand.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You seem to be working on the weekends too...don't burn yourself out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love how you remember to share the good stuff with us, as well as the journey that it's taken to get there. I am so happy for you: new job, new figure, soon-to-be new living arrangement and, most important of all, new clothes and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So happy for you, congratulations! It just sounds like you are hitting on every cylinder, and I'm wishing you every good thing in the new job and new path! K

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! I am going to tell my roommate who is job hunting and a little discouraged. A success story maybe what she needs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! I am going to tell my roommate who is job hunting and a little discouraged. A success story maybe what she needs right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.