Sunday, February 26, 2012

A little tour

Still no sewing going on, but I've been thinking about it now that I'm on the countdown to NEXT weekend. Does that count? In the meantime, I snapped some cell pics this morning while I was alone in the office. Not that anyone would care if they saw me, just that I would feel weird with an audience.

This is PART of the hallway I used to have to walk down each time I needed to go back to Marketing. To get to Finance, I walked down this entire length, THEN turned left at the end and walked down that direction just as long. Pretty much the equivalent of two city blocks, one way. I'm very glad THAT is over with, but I also realize that I'm going to be losing some exercise time so I'll need a Plan B for that. Cool colors, right? They are part of our new brand colors.


I *will* have a reason to return to the Finance department from time to time, though. Last week I found out that the woman who sat next to me SEWS. She's about my age and complimented me on a blouse I was wearing. Taking the opportunity (because how else do you suss out sister stitchers?), I said, "I made it. And, I made everything I'm wearing today." The conversation took off. AND … she's a Viking girl too. Can this job GET any better? ;-) I feel some enabling coming on.

This is the view from my window. That's the Tampa River below, and just across it is The Tampa Tribune building. It's the white one you can sorta see on the right.


This is my old/new home. When I got to the office yesterday morning, I loaded up a cart with my stuff from my previous spot and wheeled it to my permanent (ahhh, permanent) home. My CPU had been moved already, but I also traded out mouse and monitor. I kept the "new" keyboard since I like it better and was really missing it. I am nowhere near organized, but I had actual work to do, so I just quickly put stuff in some sort of order and I'll tackle the rest at the end of the week after the crazy times have somewhat subsided. On my screen is a brochure I designed a couple of months ago that we're printing to bring to the upcoming event. When you think about law firms, you don't usually think about bold colors, shapes, and patterns. It's such a fun concept to work with. The blue/orange piece at the right is my Graphic Genuis "award" from the big boss.


Here's the distance view. It's obviously not a private office, but it's not a cubicle either. Where I was in the Finance department was much more cubicle-ish. I like the openness and there's only three of us here in the middle so there's plenty of space. We all get along great and we're quiet and respectful of each other when we have work to do. I know I've said it before, but it really is a great group. We each have very specific jobs to do and we do them well — alone and together. The big boss' office is at the back middle-right of this pic, where you can see a picture on the wall.



In other news, this morning on my way in to the office, I stopped for an appointment to look at a rental house that is about 2 miles from my current house. It was nice, but it's not the house for me and Alex. It's too big. I don't want to clean that much house anymore. But at least I've started the hunt. I'm hoping to find a stand-alone house, but am open to an apartment too if I can't find what I want at the price I can afford. Everything else has been working out, so I will just continue to have faith that my new home will work itself out too.

19 comments:

  1. How exciting. I'm smiling for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all such good news for you. Good luck with the house hunt. I am sure you will end up with just the right place.

    How wonderful to have a sewing buddy at work, you lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, it sounds like everything is moving in the right direction. Are you looking for a house in Brandon or Tampa? I am in Clearwater but have firends in Brandon and Tampa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't be happier for you in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb - the DH's 'people' (his family is so big, they almost qualify for tribal status)are all up in Tampa, so we visit and I'd love to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay Debbie! Things are really coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear you love your job and your workmates. And another sewing enthusaist on site... better yet. I'm sure dedicated sewing space is at the top of the new home checklist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, see, Finance folks aren't all bad/strange/weird/etc. Some of us even sew. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is falling nicely into place. So very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great that you not only got a great job, but one that your really like, and you found a fellow sewer. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great :-)! So interesting, to see other people's work environments. Yours seems better than just about everything I've had so far, including nice colors.

    And my heartiest congratulations on the house hunting. Wasn't there something about a fairly long commute? Would it be worth living pretty close to the new *permanent* job? I do think an apartment could be a good solution in terms of lower maintenance. Think, less commute + less housework = more sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am feeling very happy for you and what you've achieved so far.
    Just wish you had not put these pics up. My gut feelings say it was an unwise move.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your job. You're very lucky. Good to be so happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the fellow sewing person is a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great that you love your job AND found a kindred sewing spirit. Enjoy! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's great that you love your job AND found a kindred sewing spirit. Enjoy! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful environment, physically and mentally..congratulations!!

    As to the house hunt, decades back & to the horror of my mother; I moved 10" from work and my son's school to a (1400 SF) condo from (a 2600 SF house, 40" drive). It was the 2nd smartest decision of my newly divorced life.

    chloeE

    ReplyDelete
  18. My old legal filing office was a very similar set-up. I REALLY liked being on a quiet floor, away from the lawyers, tee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.