Saturday, February 4, 2012

Weekend Plans

Sorry, this will be a picture-less and quite wordy post.

Today, I'll be sewing — but not for me. I have to finish another cammie bag that is due to mail on Monday, plus I have one more waiting beyond that. I have mixed feelings about the bags. The extra money is great and I do like making them. I just don't like having orders hanging over my head, especially on those days when I'd rather be sewing for ME. lol But I'm OK with not sewing for me this weekend since I was so productive last weekend and, besides, my closet is kind of bulging with work clothes right now, even though I have a BIG stack of patterns I want to try. (What I really need to sew is some weekend wear.)

It was another good (and busy!) week at work and I still love my job! I can't believe how much I look forward to getting up early and going to work each day. And it's not just because life at home is pretty much crap, although I do admit that's probably part of it. But I just really like what I'm doing, who I work with, and this work environment and I can't wait to get back to it each morning. The days just fly by.

I was honest with my immediate boss and the "big boss" and told them I needed to come in late on Tuesday because of an interview. I just felt honesty was the best policy, especially since there's always the possibility that the agency would tell them anyway. But I assured them that I'm still quite willing to be patient for things to work out where I am, and that it's my definite preference and desire to stay put, but with the current economy and my present position up in the air, I couldn't afford to turn down an interview. And I told them that I definitely wasn't trying to push things, only being honest about where I was going to be since I didn't want them to find out another way. I know they understood and were not just giving me lip service. ;-) That's one of the things I like about where I am - no one plays games, which is rare in a corporate environment. And my philosophy in general is "what will be will be," so however things work out is how they're meant to.

The big boss took our Marketing department out to lunch at the Hyatt yesterday to thank us for the job well done with the new website launch and for us all to have some "down time" with each other. She handed out "Super Certificates" to each person and mine was for being a Graphics Genius. Which I am, of course. lol It was a fun lunch. But yesterday was horrible for my eating. The lunch, and then a Happy Hour at 5 PM. Oh well, one day off the wagon won't kill me, and I *needed* a little Happy Hour. ;-)

Sort of related, my work area is currently in the Finance department away from Marketing (where I'm really assigned) due to space constraints. At first, I missed being actually IN my department like I was before the woman on maternity leave returned but now I'm used to it and actually like it. I still interact quite frequently with my Marketing coworkers but when I'm busy (like always!), no one is looking over my shoulder or interrupting me and I can be really productive. So I'm independent and connected at the same time. Kind of the best of both worlds. And, really, I would sit in the closet if I had to to keep this job. ;-)

Anyway, what this is leading up to is that the Finance people, who are an entirely different breed than the Marketing people, lol, have now decided they actually like having a Marketing person with graphics skills nearby and they've been asking me for little projects here and there to brighten up their financial reports with the new logo and colors. It's been so cute … "Debbie, do you think you could …" and of course I can. I am a Graphics Genius. :snort:

I relayed this to the "big boss" and she lit up with a smile and I could see the gears turning. She told me to send her an email about it on Monday along with any other "side projects" so she could add it to her "ammunition" for creating a permanent position for me. So, making that list is another one of my projects this weekend. I've already thought of a few things for the ammunition list that were probably overlooked because of how busy and "nose-down" we've been with the launch. We walked out to the parking garage together after Happy Hour and she told me again to remember to email her on Monday.

The annual shareholders meeting is next week and we're really busy getting materials together for that. But once that's over and things have calmed down a little, it's the big boss' plan to then go to bat for me. So it shouldn't be too much longer now.

And tomorrow, I'll distract myself with one last weekend of football. Yay Super Bowl, but boo to no more football for a long time.

16 comments:

  1. You always give me a laugh! I hope you keep your job; it's nice if you love it, they love you and it works out but I'm like you .. what is meant to be will be so don't sweat it but it's good to know your immediate people are putting the good work in for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally can relate to your feelings on the cammie bags. I embroider and sew for others as well and it seems like I just get one big order done and someone else is dropping off something to be done...it really blows when I have my projects taking a back seat! Good luck with your job...I hope you are telling us soon that you are permanent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best in your hunt for a permanent job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie I think you're doing this just right. As someone who's worked full time for 30+ years I've seen a lot of changes in corporate america and if you were doing this even 3 years ago they would have hired you already however things are really different now and companies just take their time with new hires because, well, they can in this climate. So letting them know that you're still keeping your options open is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. try to find out what their fiscal year ends because that will tell you when they plan to budget a permanent position. For example at my company the fiscal year ends Sept 30 so by generally by he summer new hire salaries are approved for the forthcoming year's budget. However, if their fiscal year started Jan 1 then they won't be able to budget a new hire until the fall. Anyone in finance can tell what when their fiscal year ends. Also you said the annual meeting is coming up so that tells me their fiscal year is about to end because that meeting legally has to happen before the end for the fiscal year so the stockholders can vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! Good luck with both the interview and the current job. It's great to feel wanted, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have enough time to sneak in another Magic Pencil Skirt this weekend especially if you make one for the interview on Tuesday.

    I agree that honesty is the best policy especially since you are still a temp employee. But I really hope that this job works out for you because it's rare to find an environment to work in that you love so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, this company is so fortunate to have the opportunity to hire you. Of course that doesn't mean that they can do it or will do it, but they clearly recognize that folks like you don't always come along right when there is a burning hiring need. I so hope that they are able to take advantage of your availability! I have really enjoyed hearing about your experiences with this company and I am very glad that your work has been recognized and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that your present employer is recognizing your value and I do hope you can become a permanent employee. I love my job and cannot imagine people who hate theirs and feel "stuck" having to drag themselves to work each day.

    I do believe your positive attitude has everything to do with how much they love having you and how much you enjoy it. :)

    ~Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, nothing wrong with Finance people...cause I are one. :-) And I agree, we *are* a different breed. And it would be fun having marketing people around...or at least one who wasn't too loud during closing. ;-) Good luck with everything, and I'm sure that with your talents (and efforts) you will end up right where you are supposed to be! And telling them about the interview was fair. They have a right to know AND because it's easy to take someone for granted. We don't want them doing that. They might forget that you aren't an employee already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck getting on permanent at this company. Sounds like a great place to be where they work well together and don't play games regarding the truth! I enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh Debbie, wonderful news about your graphics for the Finance people. I am a Finance person and I read your description of us with great interest :-0
    *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a chuckle out of the cammie bag orders. I,too, love the make things for others, especially when I am getting paid for them, but also find they can cut into "my" sewing time.
    Good luck with the interview and continuing luck with the present job.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure hope that the temp job becomes permanent. It sounds like a great place to work. Wow! You are excited about getting up early to go to work! I do think that you are wise to keep your options open. Good luck with the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fingers crossed on the job--it sounds like a great fit. It never hurts for them to know you have other options.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go, Graphics Genius! I really hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.