I stopped wearing this dress months ago because it became a tent, but I loved the fabric so I didn't toss it. Today, I put it on, pinched the sides to see how much it needed to be taken in (5" per side), and went for it. (Great early morning no make-up look, eh?) And now I have another "new" dress.
I was extremely lazy and didn't rip out the hems, just took it in straight down. No one is ever going to see the seam at my armpit, or inspect it (but it does actually line up very nicely), and since I shortened the length 1-1/2", the original bottom hem didn't matter either. I just turned it up and coverstitched on top of it. The hardest part of this project was changing thread color. Hah.
Here's the result. I'm very happy with it and will definitely be wearing it to work sometime this week. I'll also be putting this pattern back in rotation, but will have to recut it smaller before I make it again (Butterick/See & Sew 5593). I'm still experimenting with indoor tripod locations. This is in my bedroom, with yet another mirror that needs to see some Windex action. The dress actually hits right at the knee now but the camera was pointing downward.
For reference, here's the original version on a pudgier me. The difference in my face alone shocks me. :-)