Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A New Work Outfit: HotPatterns 1189 and Kwik Sew 3256


I just can't resist this work bathroom for selfies. It has a huge mirror and great lighting. Plus it's a solo room, so  no chance of being embarrassingly "caught." I finished this top on Sunday and the skirt last night and wore them both to work today.


The top is a Hot Patterns Fast & Fabulous Shirt-Tail T. It's definitely a fast sew and the first-try fit is better than the similar Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee I made earlier in the year. I like the lower scoop neck of the F&FSTT better than the boatneck KKT and the shoulder seams hit me better. The KKT tends to pull backward. The F&FSTT also has a bit more drafted-in waist shaping, which could easily be added to the KKT if one were so inclined. The F&FSTT also has a couple more styling options with the cuffed sleeves and the optional piecing and/or flounces. As for overall sizing, I agree with other reviewers that this pattern runs large. Even larger than most HPs on me. I used a straight 14. This is at least one size smaller, and maybe two depending on the style, at the hips than what I usually cut for HPs.


My fabric (an ITY) is sorta striped so I chose the pieced front. Unfortunately, the striping isn't obvious enough that the piecing is truly noticeable. Still, I do like the way the zebra stripe changes direction. I'll make this again and either use a more obvious stripe or, more likely, color/pattern block it.


The back is seamed and I chose not to perfectly match across that seam for more visual interest.This actually looks more pieced than the front. Hah.


This fabric is pretty lightweight and I felt the sleeve cuffs wouldn't stay cuffed without some help so I interfaced them with some Palmer/Pletsch Light fusible interfacing. I like the extra body it added to the cuffs.


I wish I had added some interfacing to the neckband. It's OK the way it is, but it would be a lot better if it had more heft. The neckline is also a tiny bit too wide for me. It's better out of the envelope than most HPs on me, but note that the neckline is the same size/width for all sizes so you'll definitely want to think about muslining it. I thought about it, and plunged ahead anyway. :-)


The neckband non-heft and width and having a long scrap left over inspired a necktie/scarf. I like that the tie adds visual interest (Does this print actually need more visual interest?) and takes the "T" up a notch for office wear and under cardigan.


All I did was use a 3-thread rolled hem to lettuce the edge a little bit. Easy-peasy, and now I have a scarf to wear with other things too.


Here's how I was actually dressed today. Tampa was in the 40s this morning. OMG.


I've been meaning to make a longer black ponte skirt for quite a while and finally got around to it Sunday/Monday. I pulled out this old Kwik Sew pattern. I'm sure many of you have it also, and have probably made it. The longer View A was a thing about 10 years ago. I think it's pretty much a classic and I've always had a thing for flounces. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to use this pattern since I short-changed myself some skirts over the years. I did add back waist darts by tracing them from my TNT Magic Pencil and before that I shortened the whole skirt from the top about 4 inches (since it's pretty straight down from the waist and the flounce was already attached and who wants to rip all that out?). Without shortening it, it would've been nearly a maxi on 5'5" me. Whenever I make it again, I'll also probably narrow it too since it's on the wide side and I'd like it more pegged. It's a KS Plus pattern and I'm on the edge between their Regular and Plus sizes.


I did keep the slit, although I noted many of the old reviews on PR mentioned sewing it closed. I'm not sure why since it's low on the leg, even after I chopped off the top, so it's not even remotely revealing. I like the added visual interest.


Here's a couple of totally dorkus pics in my back yard after work, with the sun doing odd shadowy things to my face.

I still have the post on Big 4 ease coming but it's more fun to post finished projects. I'm hoping to finish it during the upcoming long Thanksgiving weekend. I'm really looking forward to the time off and hope to get into the sewing room some more.


29 comments:

  1. Cute- love your HP F&FSTT (and your acronym cracked me up!). It looks like a bow blouse with the coordinating scarf, perfect for the office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Yes, I like the look of the faux-bow. Hah ... faux-bow.

      Delete
  2. I wish my work bathroom looked remotely like yours is what I'm thinking.
    Love the print and the outfit and oddly enough it was around 40' this morning in Oregon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, this is actually the building lobby restroom. No one really uses it since offices have their own on each floor. Probably why it stays so clean.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. I was having a good hair day - it actually is overdue for a trim!

      Delete
  4. You look great! And wha a good idea to use the work bathroom for a photo op...not a hanging towel, wrinkley robe or a half used bottle of shampoo anywhere in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the print for your top and making the scarf was a great idea. Lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. I always have good intentions for using those bigger scraps for something and I actually managed to force myself to follow through this time.

      Delete
  6. Love the outfit. Both the top and the skirt looks great on you! And I love the scarf. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andie. I think you might like this skirt pattern too. It's a quick sew, good size range, and definitely Secret Pajamas. :-)

      Delete
  7. Fabulous outfit-the print is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I hope you're healing quickly and keeping your spirits up.

      Delete
  8. Love both pieces - fabulous! I really like the fun print you chose for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great prints & great job on both top & skirt . Following your acronyms was a hoot 😍

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The whole outfit looks wonderful on you! I also like the faux-bow!! It looks great with the sweater/jacket over as well! As always, I love your smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love the fabric for the top. I have made the top a few times. I never realized that the neckline in every size is the same size. That explains a lot. I have pinched out width at CB and CF to make the neckline smaller. I will have to do more because it is still too large. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a nice new outfit for work. Love the added scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always glad to see your posts. I love the print and the top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the whole outfit. That fabric in the top is divine and I have always loved a "flippy" skirt. Great addition of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.