Sunday, March 22, 2009

Muslin a/k/a PJ Top

My sewing mojo has been mostly missing the last couple of weeks, but I think it was my body telling me to just do nothing for a couple of weekends. I think I mentioned that my voice had been missing too? Well, it was gone a total of 4 weeks, almost to the day. Unbelievable! But it's back now, although sometimes still a little croaky at the end of the day. One of the weirdest things ever for me. Someone else's voice, or none at all, coming out of my mouth.

Anyway, today I felt extremely rested and back to my old self. But I still had no idea what sewing project I wanted to start next. As I was scrolling through the Review Gallery on Pattern Review, I came across PattiB's review of the Christine Jonson Princess Wrap top, which caused the sewing mojo to start stirring. Thanks Patti!

I've had this pattern in my stash for at least 2 years. Probably closer to 3. Belinda reviewed hers in May 06 (what happened to your pics Belinda??) and I bought the pattern soon after that, I think. So, yes, almost 3 years now. I shouldn't have waited so long.





I cut a straight XL, although I did add length as I cut (and think I still will add more) and made my usual square shoulder adjustment. I also added width to the sleeves because I only wish I had Michelle Obama's arms! I think the top is going to be another winner.

My "muslin" is a 100% cotton baby rib knit. I think I've had this fabric at least 3 years too. It's Baby Lulu fabric bought from a coop. Very soft and comfy - perfect for a PJ top. Not so perfect to wear out of the house as cotton rib tends to grow widthwise and progressively shrink lengthwise. But to test the pattern and possibly get a new PJ top - a good match in my book.



I like how the wrap is gathered on one side into the princess seam. Nice asymmetry, great camouflage.



Since this IS 100% cotton rib, after all, I serged clear elastic to the neckline to counteract its natural inclination to droop. I then just turned and coverstitched the edge. Because of the construction order, this top would be also be a great candidate for binding the neckline on the CS machine. I may try that on the next one from better fabric.



So, after dinner I'll sew in the sleeves, stitch up the sideseams (they are pinned in the photo above), and hem it. Maybe I'll even have enough time to whip up some coordinating no-sideseam PJ pants. That's probably pushing it, so they may have to wait for 10-20-30 minute sewing during the week.

17 comments:

  1. I've been a "secret" watcher of yours for several years. I love this latest top. Glad you're feeling better, ya had me worried. When I lose my sewing mojo, I always get re-inspired by you.
    BusyBee

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been a lot of laryngitis going around.

    Christine Jonson will be at one of my seiwng clubs this Tuesday. She'll have a trunk show, and will be bring patterns. This one will definitely be on my list. Thank you for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love that pattern. I think that would be a good pattern for me, as shaping would be easier. I think it will look great Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful blog you have, I am fascinated by you:..

    (from Hungary)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a few of those sewn up and really like them. I know you will as well. Sounds like your voice and your mojo went on a nice vacation! Hope they took pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this top! I like the gather/princess seam thing too.

    I'm with you on the voice. You aren't the only one that caught that nasty thing. Mine was only out for 4 days, but I've been "croaky", especially at night after a day of talking, for about 3 weeks. Slowly getting better. I hope you get your real voice back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how this is looking. I tried this a few years ago when I was just starting to sew knits and I felt like a sausage. Did not work for me. I think I'll try it again with yours looking so becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm back at garment sewing and your blog has become a fav so I was also a little worried about you! Glad to hear you're back at it! The top looks good, I may have to try it. Agree about the great camoflage comment and I'm all about the camoflage for the next 50 pounds or so!! lol

    Lori in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh nice, I have made that top twice, so I appreciate the tip on the binding. I got a BLCS and a binder from eBay. Using your tutorials, I got the binder to work, and I NEVER could have done it without you. Thank you so much Debbie!!
    On the CJ top, I find that mine crosses over right exactly at my bust point, which I do not like. I want to try again and I want to either raise or lower the bustpoint to avoid that on my next version. I look forward to seeing if you encounter that issue and how the pattern works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great top! I'm glad you got your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debbie....

    I really like this pattern..must try it for myself soon.

    Please don't forget about the blog award waiting for you on my site!
    Here's the direct link:

    SISTERHOOD AWARD

    Take care Debbie..hope you are feeling 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top is so nice. Thanks so much for the shot of the clear elastic serged to the shirt before the coverstitch. I ordered clear elastic and have not tried to use it yet. My mojo has still not arrived much less gone. I have panels to finish for the church hall and totes to embroider for wedding favors for a good friend so I am procrastinating big time. My back is not cooperating either so I virtual sew(read blogs and internet) in what free time I get. If I start something for me I will never finish the other projects so I stall to make myself finish the yuk projects since I never wanted or felt like the other sewing projects in the first place. Someday I will learn the no word- even for should do sewing favors. Great that you are getting over the laryngitis and feeling like sewing again. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to hear you're feeling better :)
    This is a very nice pattern. I love the print of your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again. I just went to a sewing meeting, featuring Christine Jonson. I have a little write up on my blog about her patterns. I also mentioned your post about the Princess Wrap. Drop in a take a look when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really nice pattern. The fabric makes a good combination with it too. Perfect spring piece. :) Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,

    My name is Tracy Jackson, I'm the Affiliate Marketing manager here at Fabric.com. I have a wonderful opportunity for you. To put it simply, by placing a Fabric.com banner or text link on your site, anytime someone places an order through your site, we will gladly pay you 8% commission per sale!

    If that's not enticing enough, you have the potential to make 10% commission by meeting a monthly sale amount of $1,000.00. This link will take you to our Affiliate page on Fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/SitePages/Affiliate.aspx.

    I welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss in greater detail the endless possibilities. Please let me know what day and time works best for you.

    I look forward to speaking with you soon. Your success is our success!

    Tracy Jackson
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    1-888-455-2940 ext. 214

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember this fabric. :) Nice PJ top and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes three years to sew a pattern. :) I must make another for myself as I love this pattern but all my tops are long gone.

    Thanks for the heads up on my photos too. I've now fixed the links. I moved a bunch of photos a few months ago and some of the links got broken. I thought I'd got them all but obviously not. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.