Friday, March 27, 2009

TGIF!



I am so ready for a weekend! I have grand sewing plans, although I'm fairly sure my plans are grander than my energy. I turned 47 (gasp!) yesterday and I'm feeling every one of those years lately. We'll see how much I actually accomplish, but I want to cut/sew the PJ pants to match the top above, cut/sew an out-of-the-house version of this top, cut/sew underwear, and rework some tab-top curtains into valances (last on the list both literally and figuratively).

The top above obviously is done. I ended up not turning up a hem. It's a PJ top after all so it really doesn't matter. But this pattern is short on me, even though I added a generous 1-1/2" to the length when cutting. I didn't want to be constantly tugging it down so I just serged the bottom edge. It looks lettuced but it won't after it goes through the washer/dryer once. Other than the length, I'm very happy with it. It's a nicely drafted pattern that went together well, fits great with only a couple small and expected adjustments, and is a little bit different from what I've been making lately. Although I *was* hooked on wrap tops a couple of years ago, they've all now aged (or sized) out of my wardrobe and this will be the only one. I want to get a public version sewn by next Friday, when I'll be taking out my peeps (my assistants) for a casual dinner.

Tonight, I'm going to cut and sew/serge some no-sideseam PJ pants to wear with this top. Those are very fast to do and I should be wearing them to bed tonight.

As mentioned, also on weekend agenda is new underwear. There's been a lively discussion on PR about making your own panties. Great timing for me because I'd already been thinking it was time for another batch and had ordered my elastics, etc. since my elastic supply was getting thin. Whether or not a sew-along is actually started, *I* will be sewing them. I may not finish them this weekend because assembly-line sewing is not my favorite thing to do, but I will definitely get them started. If I bring a DVD player into the sewing room, I might even get some done.

Just typing this all out I can already see I won't be getting to re-working the curtains. But that is a project I do want to get done sooner rather than later, so I'll make time for that in spurts over the next couple of weeks.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! (you can't catch me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    I confess I have been a lurker for a while now. I even went back through some of your older blogs.

    I am very much inspired by your love of sewing and your great pictures!!!

    YOU made me get my sewing machine out and I have been to Joanns fabrics 4 times in the last month.

    THANKS!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing on your blog and PR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. I just attended a trunk showing of Christine Jonson's clothes made from her patterns. Your top was among them. I bought the pattern and am looking foward to making it. I may have to bring in the neckline to raise the "v" a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. Looks like you got your sewing mojo back.....wish I could find mine....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I'm not anonymous...I"m Lorri. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, happpy, happy birthday...! I am fascinated by your blog and by your love of sewing. Really.
    I am from Hungary, from the other part of the world. :o)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a nice birthday! It is always fun to find a new Debbie post. I had overlooked the underwear discussion at PR so will read there. My outlook for undies is not good though as I can't even seem to sew an outer garment these days. Lol!
    I got the PP dvd yesterday that is totally about bust adjustments so hopefully at some point I could get a pattern like this to fit. I like how yours looks as it seems sort of streamlined in appearance instead of something a teen would appear in. Can't wait to see your public version- I'm betting it will make the ever growing to do list get longer. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top looks wonderful. I have that pattern and your comments will be so helpful when I get to making it... thank you!

    And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! And hopefully you will get as much sewing as you can manage completed this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! I'm also an Aries.
    I really, really like that pattern! And although it's not a print that I'd typically be drawn to, I also like it! Just a pretty top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday! What a blessing to turn 47. It's not everyone who is so fortunate. Congratulations again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was lurking to see if you'd say it's your birthday!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEBBIE!!
    Soft hug,
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Forty Seven isn't so bad, I was worried approaching December but by January I knew it would be ok:) Enjoy! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belated Happy Birthday1

    ReplyDelete
  16. bit late but still wanted to say Happy birthday - hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday. LOVE your jammies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.