Thursday, January 14, 2010

They're Back!

Yes, yes, my men are back from their trip up north, but really, what's equally as important is my D1 is back too! My home is again full and complete. ;-)

Here she is. Notice the working Fix and Reverse buttons lit up, and the working lights. The bobbin winder is under the lid but it's fixed too. And, lastly, the needle threader works again.



These are the "bad" buttons. A $6.00 part. Well, only two of them are bad but the whole panel is one unit as you can see.



All of the parts totalled only about $40. It was the $89 in labor which was the biggest charge. But still, it's hundreds cheaper than I was expecting so I'm not complaining. Except to wonder WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG?? I'm still holding final judgment on the issue with the lights. The tech said that they kept burning out because I touched them with bare skin when installing new bulbs. But these aren't halogen lights so I think that's mostly hogwash. But I'm willing to be proven wrong, especially if it means that it's a $5.00 dual bulb replacement instead of a $xxx computer board.

It was strange sewing on it last night to test things out. It's been forever since I had a working needle threader so I had to dig into the brain cells to remember what to do with it, but I remembered pretty quickly. And the first thing I reached for when I started her up was the presser foot lever. Except — Designer 1's don't have presser foot levers. The foot raises and lowers automatically when you step on the pedal. It's funny how quickly you get used to (or UNused to) things. The Featherweight and Kenmore both have presser foot levers, of course, and there I was reaching for one of them on my D1. I had to laugh at myself.

Speaking of Mr. Kenny … Do you see his shiny new white ankle for snap-on feet? Well, that's courtesy of Gaylen who popped one in the mail to me and it got here in what must be record time. Washington State to Florida. Opposite ends of the country in two days. Thank you so much Gaylen! Sewing friends are the BEST! And now Kenny can use some of my favorite D1 feet.



And OMG but I swear this card was as good as getting that ankle! Gaylen is definitely a dog person who knows I am too and she taped the ankle inside this great card with Chili's cousin looking right at me.



My sons saw it and asked, "How did she know?" But Gaylen is a sewing friend and dog person. She just knows. :-)

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your family back!! I'm glad it was so affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear everyone is back and in working order! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your machine back and working. My main one is in for repair. Can't wait to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you got your machine back so...inexpensively. I agree, what took you so long? Yes, I know...anticipating a multi hundred dollar price tag. Still cheaper than a new machine. I hope you have many happy, lighted years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news abounds! Yay! Now you can fully enjoy sewing again. And finishing your quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can sooooo relate!!!!
    Glad she's home and anxious to serve I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on getting your machine back. I didn't expect that you'd have to pay all that much even if you had to replace a board. If you read the warranty it's covered for something like 25 years. I had one replaced in my last machine and just had a tune up charge. Enjoy your having your baby back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the card! I was laying in bed this morning thinking how I really need to have my main machine serviced ... and how I will keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee, what happened? You shrunk, grew ears and shaved off your red hair. (Looking at your new profile picture). Bahahaha :)

    Glad you got your "baby" back in full working order without much dollar shock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad the ankle arrived quickly. I will be so sad to send off the last of those cards. Of course you and the JRTs had to have one!! g

    ReplyDelete
  11. $89 for labor is pretty good I think! My Bernina has been down for months now and a trip to my tech is an hour away in NH but your post is reminding me I really need to get her up there. And hey when are you going to give that Coldwater Creek jacket pattern another try? The fabric was a bit too subdued as you noted but the style looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting your men back. I had to send mine away in the summer and it was torture putting him in a box and taking him to the post office and just thinking of him being tossed around in the post office and in the back of some truck bouncing around with all the other stuff! You just want to give them a big hug when they return don't you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your baby - isn't it great when the bill is less than expected ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gaylen does just know! What a great gift! And it's wonderful that your D1 was an affordable fix, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on getting your machine collection back in order--and for less! Am I the only person who doesn't know what an ankle is?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your fix was actually fairly cheap! I am like you, I would have expected a much larger bill.
    Have fun sewing on it again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, Gayeln is the best!! And so are you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.