Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Two and Done



Did I say I was making three scrub tops? Hahahaha! I'm bored already. I really do not like assembly-line sewing. Scrub #3 is going on hold because I want to sew for ME! I'll send the two finished scrubs off to my sister and at some point #3 will find its way to her too. Just not in the same package.

So anyway, this one is View A from the same pattern, KS 3709. (Pattern #3708 is the same pattern but in non-plus sizes.) Making this view, I figured what the heck good were those princess seams if they stay hidden, so I broke it up with a print and a contrast. I like how it came out. The print was bought a short time ago specifically for this batch of scrubs. The solid contrast has been a stash resident for years. It all came together when I was looking in the stash for something else. I like when that happens, like it's made to be. Oh wait, it was. ;-)



I'm especially proud of this edgestitching. Done completely on Mr. Kenmore with nothing more than my old eyes and the default foot. No guide rudders on specialty feet. I suppose I should invest in an ankle for the Kenmore that will let me use my Viking snap-on feet. Anyone know where to find one online? Until then, my foot choices for the Kenmore are dismal.




I forgot to include a pic of the back of the first scrub. It's got an elastic casing to draw in the waist for more shaping. I'm still deciding whether to add it to the latest top.



No word yet on my D1. I'm going to call about it tomorrow and see what's up. I really, really, really, really, REALLY!! miss my needle down and my automatic presser foot up/down, and my 25 needle positions, and ... well, just about everything. I could never use a straight-stitch only machine for garment sewing. Not now that I've sewn on the Dark Side. ;-) But, really, the Kenmore is fine and I shouldn't complain and it's actually been nice to have a Reverse again. Plus it sews nice and straight and one bobbin lasted for both tops and still has thread, but … I miss my D1 — warts and all. My menfolk are flying up north on Friday morning for a long male-bonding weekend with DH's father and brother and I'd really love to have my real machine back for my weekend alone. Since I haven't heard anything about it, I'm doubting that will happen.

We've been having a preview of the menfolks' trip up north. It's been extremely cold all week and we set a record with TWENTY-SEVEN DEGREES here this morning. OMG. Did the weather not get the memo that this is Florida?? It's supposed to stay cold for many more days. I'm not planning on going anywhere. Even the dogs don't want to be out longer than it takes to do their business. They don't have winter coats, natural or man-made. Chili was actually shivering this afternoon. I was right there with him. Brrrrr.

15 comments:

  1. Umm - yes I do know where you can get one on-line email me :)

    Love the tops - I hope you sister enjoys them. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uggh, I think it was colder in your area yesterday than it was here in Albuquerque. That's just wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scrubs top. The contrast panels are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "snowbirds" from here in the north who migrate to Florida are having a big surprise aren't they? I hope you get your baby back in time for your weekend alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee hee hee!
    It's been pretty nice here. 88 degrees on Sunday, but . . . . I actually like a little variety, and would much rather it had been 50-60.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These really look so great! Nice job! (But, yeah, I can see where you're ready to get back to sewing for you - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so funny at how we've become addicted to our feet. I love mine and wouldn't buy another machine that didn't have as many. But I have a Singer sewing book reprinted from the 20's I think. It was amazing what they did with one foot, no reverse, no feed dog down nothing. I'm so glad to be spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the scrubs. I run a large dental practice and have searched the world over for fun and interesting scrubs. When I couldn't find anything interesting, I almost offered to make them but then I slapped myself very hard. Scrubs for 20 people of all shapes and sizes?? No way. I finally found some vaguely fun scrubs from a US company. I hope your machine comes home soon. It's hard when you have to switch and nothing every feels quite right. But your topstitching IS lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the elastic for shaping in the back. Really nice tops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice scrubs. The print and contrast was a great idea.

    I hope you get your machine back for the week end :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the scrub tops! Colors are nice :-)
    I can't wait to get a sewing machine & learn how to use it, heh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the scrubs. Ms. Featherweight would do that beautiful straight stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm delurking to pat your hand and offer sympathy on the hospitalization of D1; and with an alone weekend looming too. For this very reason, I did not trade in my Janome when I got my Husqi.
    Happy New Year to you, your cave men, and dog squad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie, I seem to recall you saying in a review that you interface your pocket tops on scrubs - what weight/type of interfacing do you recommend for this?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.