Monday, July 5, 2010

Pattern Organization

Sondra asked a couple of posts ago for me to expand on my pattern organization. Her wish is my command. ;-)

First, my "analog" version. All regular sized pattern envelopes are stored in loose leaf binders, sorted by general category such as tops, dresses, jackets, wardrobe patterns, men's, etc. I love having my "catalogs" to browse through while laying on my bed.

Until today, those binders were the typical blue plastic type. I don't know why I bought blue except maybe that I already had one and just bought the others to match. I used up more stash scraps by making covers for those binders this afternoon, using the instructions from here, minus the tab closure thingy. (The instructions/measurement guidelines worked out perfectly so I highly recommend them.)



Also on top of the cabinet is my basket of "on deck." I don't always make everything that's in this basket. It's more of a "what has caught my eye lately" collection and it changes regularly. I also throw new patterns in here until I get them into my system. (The basket was more than overflowing with un-systemized patterns until my organization frenzy last night, which tells you how behind I was.)

Finally in this mix, there's often a stack of stuff printed from the internet. Again, I don't always actually DO them, but I like to dream. ;-) The top of this cabinet is unusually clean today since I was taking photos. I stuck the Featherweight on top for more visual interest.



All of my actual pattern tissues and instructions are separated from the envelopes and stored in my pattern cabinet in Pattern Keeper ziplocks I buy from Nancy's Notions. I hope to paint this pattern cabinet one day soon. I'm really tired of the boring beige. (I'm also really tired of my sewing room non-decor/layout in general so look for me to be documenting changes over the next couple of months.)



I recycle the backs of papers to make pattern number sheets and file the patterns by company and then by number. There is a pocket on the outside of the pattern ziplock for this number sheet. I also stick the instructions behind the number sheet so I can quickly grab them when I want to check something.



The tissue is inside the ziplock section of the bag. It's a lot easier to put tissue and tracings back inside these bigger bags than inside a pattern envelope.



My oversized patterns, such as Jalie and HotPatterns, are stored flat in their own drawer in the cabinet. This part of the system needs an update, but right now it's working.



Burda magazine pattern inserts are in their own drawer. I haven't subscribed to Burda WOF/BS for a while now so this drawer hasn't changed much but there are at least 5 years worth of pattern inserts here with plenty of room for more. The actual magazines, along with others such as Ottobre and Knip Mode, are stored on a shelf on my bookcase.


I still have one empty drawer in the cabinet, but it's blocked anyway at the moment by the dog bed which you can sort of see below the drawer.

To prevent me from buying duplicates of patterns I already own, I also keep a digital list of my patterns and magazine issues. I use ListPro for this. It will sync with a Palm or other handheld device so you can carry your list to the store if needed. This is good for keeping a running Wish List too, since as long as you sync with the desktop, you'll always have your Wish List with you. Or, you can just print it too. I'm sure there are other apps available now, but I've been using this one for a number of years and haven't felt a need to change.

With ListPro, I created a custom list that separates patterns by company and then by pattern number. I can enter garment type, size info, notes, whether I've made it or not, and other info. Lately though, I really only enter the number but that and my loose leaf binders are enough for me to know what I have, and it works for me.

In addition to my pattern list and the usual lists such as grocery and to-do, I also have lists for things such as directions to far-away fabric stores that I don't frequent often, measurement conversions, Superbowl stats, state capitols and facts, Presidents, and all sorts of weird stuff like that. It's fun, in an OCD kind of way. ;-)

19 comments:

  1. absolutely unbelievable. Debbie I need you to come and sort out my sewing room right now. If you saw the state of my Burda collection you would be tsk tsking. I just had that lovely moment though of understanding when I saw that you like to browse patterns in bed. I take instruction sheets with me to read - it's very relaxing but I think few would understand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am impressed! My patterns are a shemozzle ;(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your organizational system is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to see the various ways people organize. I'm jealous of your pattern cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--you have a terrific system. I use the pattern bags from Nancy also, but not in the same way as you do. I like your idea of the "on deck" basket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome organization!! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's really organised! I have mine in one of the Ikea chest of drawers that a lot of sewers have seperated by type of pattern, ie vintage dresses, shirts and tops, skirts etc. My trackings live in plastic bags or envelopes in a storage box.

    My patterns I have/want are on a spreadsheet on my computer as patterns are so expensive over here in England that I only buy them online when I can get them on sale from the States (even with the shipping it works out way cheaper).

    I love flipping through the drawers to see what takes my fancy and in the top drawer I have a section marked 'current' where I put the patterns that have caught my eye and I'm thinking about making! I go through it every few weeks and put away things I'm no longer interested in.

    My Ottobres are just in magazine files, I stopped subscribing a few years back except to the Women issues as they were getting repetative for boys and I don't sew for any little girls! My Jalie and Onion patterns are stored the same way.

    Speaking of Onion do you ever use their patterns? They have a great selection and they always go together really well. I buy mine from www.shoponion.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the way I keep mine as well...except I don't have the snazzy file cabinet! I use file boxes for that. In fact after your last post, I did indeed get through my patterns and cleaned out the plus size ones I can't use anymore and gave them away. Then I was able to put the new patterns I purchased away. Didn't realize just how many purchases I had made!! Yikes. I need to stop. Thanks for the motivation to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful system. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to have pattern catalogues like that! The problem is that if you keep buying patterns the number of pattern catalogues continue to grow too! *LOL* I like your organization!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoW! Thanks for sharing your system. I also keep all pattern tissues in ziplock bags. I really like you idea for the pattern envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to keep all the patterns organized. Much superior to my "throw everything in a big tub, can't find anything, buy a second version, get mad" technique that I use!! You may have inspired me to finally do something about my messy sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Im impressed at the fact you have an actual pattern cabinet and your patterns are nicely organized.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "State capitals" that's funny. You are far far more organized than I am! I think you should go on "Jepardy" because you'd win.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby thinks I have a lot of patterns. Hmpfh. He should see your collection. I need more patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I'm so influential, Debbie. Your system is amazing. I just throw mine in a file cabinet grouped by garment type. Having the pattern envelopes to browse looks super handy. Something like that would keep me from buying duplicates of patterns. Not that I actually do that, you understand. One question: why do you use Nancy's Notions plastic sleeves for your patterns rather than Ziploc bags, which are about the same size and are cheaper? I've never used Nancy's bags and am wondering if they're superior to the Ziploc ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that is fabulous! I can't find those Pattern Keeper bags though! I'd love some of them, they'd be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OP Gal - I like these bags over plain Ziplocks because they have a pocket on the outside, where I can slip the instructions for easy reach. When I'm working on a pattern, I usually take the envelope out of my binder and slip it into that pocket too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.