I didn't start out to make a wearable muslin. I figured if it worked, I'd wear it. If not, I'd just toss it. Looks like I'll be tossing it … into the donation bin. Someone will wear it, but it won't be me.
Side note: I was in the sewing room about 9 AM today, but only just now finished it (sans bottom hem) because as it became clearer that I wasn't going to like it, I just dawdled and wasted time and went in and out of the sewing room ALL DAY LONG. Does anyone else do that? Sheesh. If I had just plowed through, I could've finished it and had my next project ready to sew.
It fits perfectly. So what's the problem? Well, never trust pattern drawings — especially those without an accompanying photographed modeled shot. The neckline is way wider than the drawings suggest. I think I'd call it a scoop-neck bateau, which isn't a real style name I don't think, but it fits. The front of the neckline is definitely scooped. It could even be a little lower and I would still like it. But where it's supposed to cover my bra straps on the sides? It doesn't. Not even close. And it's not something I can pin, tape, or bra-saver into place, and since the top half is already two layers (more on that later), there's no way I'd ever wear another layer under it.
Sewing Demons - 1
Debbie - 0
Here it is on me. You can't really see my bra straps too clearly but that's only because it's a nude colored bra and my hair is making a shadow. Trust me, in real life the bra straps are loud and clear. And those two inches I added to the length for insurance? Completely unnecessary. If I were really going to wear this, I'd chop it off at least 2 inches.
Sewing Demons - 2
Debbie - 0
I also had a wild hair and decided to pipe the front seam between the upper chest and torso. I like effect. Too bad it's mostly hidden in the print. Just like the pleats.
Sewing Demons - 3
Debbie - 0
Overall, I still like the idea of this top. But it's got a few stupidities that I will have to correct if I decide to make it again. The neckline for starters. But look at this mess:
Yes, those are full copies of the upper sections as facings. With instructions to hand tack most of it. Yeah, right. Not. If I make this again, I'm either making new facings that don't include the sleeves or (more likely) binding the (corrected) neckline. For this one, I used the "burrito" method for the sleeves so there is a seam at the edge instead of hand tacking and I stitched in the ditch from the front to catch the facing. Besides the PITA factor of using these facings as-is per the pattern, they are just screaming for a stretched-out neckline that rolls to the front and floppy sleeves. I avoided that by edge-stitching the neckline seam allowances to the facing and then taking extra time to hang the top from Zillie and pin very carefully before tacking the facing into place. For a top I won't wear.
Sewing Demons - 4
Debbie - 0
Tomorrow, I'm planning to cut out Michael's shirt in the good fabric. I'm hoping the Sewing Demons have had their laugh and moved on.