Thursday, March 31, 2011

USMC Purse Done


The purse is done, but I think it's really my final, "wearable" muslin. There were some issues with my pattern that I didn't catch in muslins 1-3. Nothing serious, but it means I have to fix the pattern and trace it again.

I also had a "construction issue" at the end. This is why you shouldn't sew when you're tired.


The zipper should not caught in the seam past the top corner. I knew this, but it just wasn't computing when I was pinning things together with the bag turned inside out. I think I ripped out this end three times. It didn't help that I bought the wrong kind of zipper. I saw the right color, the slightly bigger teeth, and the label for "purse." I didn't pay attention that it was closed on both ends, with two pulls in the middle. Oops, but that's what happens when you have a teenaged son glaring at you as you try to rush through Joann's. ;-) I ended up pulling off the stop at one end and sliding off one pull.

Here's the way it should, and does, look.


Here's the inside. It's OK and will be useable as-is, but the side pockets would be better if I had attached them higher up. I also screwed up with the lining pattern and the bottom is about an inch bigger than the purse. I just sewed a tuck across the width of the lining on each side of the center pocket to take out the excess. Not the most elegant fix, but it's never going to show, especially with my stuff inside the purse. You can't even see the tuck in this pic of the empty inside.


I added purse feet, which are entirely useless. LOL! They don't support diddly-squat. But they look good, right? ;-)


Here's the other side. I added a pocket and a custom "name" tape.


On the pocket is the tab from the sleeve cuff, with the button as it was.


I like that the straps use various pieces of the original cammie blouse so there are things like seams and buttonholes included. This was not really my plan to start with but I had no choice when cutting the straps so I went with it. My Viking 6010 sewed over all that bulk like a champ.



I ended up making a key ring from the Semper Fi embroidery in my last post.


Nothing left over but some button plackets, a collar, and some felled seams I cut off. I'll save the buttons and send them to my son, who called earlier in the week asking how to sew on a button. I referred him to YouTube. lol


I'm not sure if I want to jump back into the same pattern, with corrections, to sew up a purse for my mom or if I want to use a different (commerical) pattern. On the one hand, it can be frustrating to have to work out every little construction detail on a new pattern on your own by winging it the first time. On the other hand, I think I've now conquered most of the bugs and #2 should go much smoother. Right? Still, it's a tedious purse and maybe not the best pattern for this thick fabric and I'm thinking I should try something different to compare. Mom will be happy with whatever I decide.

19 comments:

  1. This is adorable! I really like the matching key fob.


    I have to tell you though, everytime I look at it I'm reading "Cookies Marine" - maybe I'm just hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great purse. I've enjoyed reading your posts about it. I recently finished a shirt purse and can relate to the unexpected details and the trickiness of making use of the yardage the shirt provides. I used scraps to add accents to purse organizers, which the dork in me loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how fabulous !!It really is a great purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing creation. Being a 'Proud Army Mom' I get every inch of it!!! Love,love,love it...and if my son were still in, I would be 'trying my best' to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! and so special. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The is realy neat. I think the key fob should be a gift to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and you did a great job. You should pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, I love it! While it gave you frustrations, it is clearly a labor of love that you will wear with pride. I say stick with this one for mom. I like the shape and love how you tilted the pockets. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're always more critical of our own work than others are. I think it came out really nice; what a great tribute to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SOOO fabulous! I love it. A really terrific idea. I never would have thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great purse and key ring, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great purse. I too, am a Proud Marine Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a special project! Hope you managed to stay safe and dry with all the crazy storms and tornados that blew through today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. Debbie. I can't let my mom see this. She'll be all over me for a Samuels / USARMY bag. That's great! I wonder where her old BDUs are....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic bag, all your details are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm impressed! I bet you get a lot of comments when you're out and about. Love the yellow ribbon, too. McDonna on PR

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a terrific bag, and you should enjoy carring this one of a kind bag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the purse! I am a PROUD Marine MOM. Are you still taking orders? I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how perfect!! You do amazing work! May I please please order one of these???? I am a Proud USMC Mom and I really really would love to order one of these with the key fob as well...please email me! I am trying to figure out how to get in touch with you. I would really love to have it for graduation but our Parris Island Graduation is August 26! Is that possible?? Please please email with more info or you can call me - my email tammy.sims.photography@hotmail.com or 334.220.7408
    Thanks so much ♥ Tammy Sims
    Valley Grande, Alabama

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.