Monday, November 21, 2011

Pamela's Patterns Magic Pencil Skirt

I need a vacation. ;-) I've been very busy this weekend but in a selfish good way.

I cut and sewed the brown ponte knit skirt tonight, using Pamela's Patterns Magic Pencil Skirt.


The magic is that there's just one pattern piece, no zipper, no waistband, and you end up with a flattering and comfortable skirt. It's pegged just the right amount and while it has an elastic waist, you can't tell by looking when you're wearing it.


$10 is maybe a lot to pay for one pattern piece, but the bottom line is that it works. I can see making many of these, which brings the pattern cost per skirt a lot lower, plus it uses less than a yard of 54-60" fabric so it's economic that way. I plan to make the higher waist version too. For this one, the lower waist view, I cut the Medium per my measurements. The only adjustment I made was adding 3/4" to the length. You can definitely make this skirt start to finish in an hour, especially if you don't have to change thread in all 3 machines like I did. I'm going to write up a proper review on PR (probably after returning from my trip) because this is a sleeper pattern and it needs some enabling. ;-)

Before starting the skirt, I (re)made my Jalie top from last year smaller. And by smaller, I mean I took out 8" of width, 4" at each sideseam, tapering up through the armhole and down most of the sleeve. I took a good 2-3" out of the bicep area, tapering to nothing by the wrist. I also removed 5" of length. I can't believe the old stomach and boobs took up all that space — wow! Well, I can, but seeing it that way was eye-opening. This is the before shot from the earlier post:


And this is the remake:


Lastly, I finally cleared off my pile of costume jewelry off the top of my dresser and hid it all in the top drawer, except for my little dish of earrings still on top. I still have the big pile of too-big clothes (which keeps getting bigger) and I'll deal with that when I get back too. And I should probably dust my dresser now.


That's my Fire in its new brown leather case in the bottom right of the pic. I also stuck on a screen protector, so it's officially good to go for tossing into my purse. Teri - you asked about battery time with the wi-fi. I don't have a good answer because so far I've never been too far from a charging source so I've not let it get low. I'll try to pay attention on our drive, when we'll be mobile hot-spotting it with Alex's phone.

Another good use for the Fire? Killing time in the Walmart customer service line while waiting to return the purchases I didn't show you.

19 comments:

  1. Perfect pencil skirt!!! and that it uses so little fabric and no zipper makes it doubly perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! Great pencil skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! Wow, that is a *lot* you had to take in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great skirt! I can just imagine you making a bunch of these in loads of pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone Debbie! Great looking skirt....you are such an ENABLER!!!! Now I have to buy the darn thing :-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pencil skirt- simple is best, isn't it? It looks great and clearly is comfy. And the remake really is a great success. That top is so pretty, it's good to make it work once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great Debbie! And you are looking mighty fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great skirt. It's cut perfectly to flatter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great skirt! I'm thinking of buying the pattern (thanks, enabler... hehe). Did you use the "Fantastic Elastic" you can, it seems, only buy form the pattern maker? Or can you use other elastic?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice skirt. I am going to have to try some Ponte knit, since you and Carolyn rave about it.
    And congratulations on the weight loss, that is terrific and you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture comparison is amazing. Despite all the taking away it still sits looser than the original! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing! I can't wait to buy that pattern and the fantastic elastic! When did you start your diet? You're my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela is a great teacher as well. I took quite a few classes from her when she lived in Connecticut. Your skirt looks great. I may have to re-consider wearing skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I love the skirt. How you've shrunk. That's lots to take out. The top print is great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I want that pencil skirt! I was working on a complex pattern over the weekend that didn't go well -- I think I'm overdue for a quick and easy!

    I use my Kindle app for iPhone to pass the time in lines also. LOVE Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Beast is a place and the social decay which emerges. The Anti-Christ is the bullshit.
    The Anti-Christ is the positioning, whether enforcing the historical perception of the Holocaust, refusing to acknolowdge the existance/capability of Artificial Intelligence or the clone host fakes who infest society's upper eschelons, those who the gods use to enforce the BigLie which compells people to incurr evil through temptation.
    Everyone "going along" is part of the problem. Ironically, this may be where you "earn" your place in the Apocalypse and your "consolation prize".
    This is the REAL battle of good and evil. Take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that pencil skirt pattern and it looks great on you. You are forcing all of us to get the pattern! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab projects! A basic double knit pencil skirt pattern is a must-have. I need to revise mine...maybe it would be easier just to buy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally bought this skirt pattern, and am looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.