Thursday, February 16, 2012

Permanent Working Girl

This is what a working girl with a real job with real PAID benefits looks like after a long day at the office. Woooo!


That's the new tote bag I mentioned a couple of posts ago. It's still not exactly what I want, but it will do for the time being. I have a job now, I can buy another one later. ;-)

This is the Ottober 02/2007 re-TNT'd tee on its own. Too bad I didn't straighten my necklace before the camera clicked, but that's me - always a little skewed. lol


And this is REALLY what a working girl looks like after a long day at the office, changed into comfy lounging clothes. Both of these are huge on me, but I'm not going anywhere tonight so who cares.


This is the photo of the top (Burda plus mag from Feb 08) when I first made it. It's considerably shorter in this pic since there's considerably less me holding it up. It's also laying snug across the belly instead of loose and baggy as in the photo above. Plus, if I'm not paying attention, I end up flashing the bra now since there's less bazooms too. Well, not less — I still have two, just less of each.


So, about the job …Do you know how they say, "Be careful what you wish for?" Hah.

Yes, I have the job and I am absolutely thrilled, BUT … the woman who I first was filling in for while she was on maternity leave until she came back mid-December, well … she resigned this past Monday to be a SAHM. What that means is that I am going to be SUPER BUSY. Adding my job in addition to hers was approved so I would've been hired either way but until the new position is filled, I will be doing it all. Which I did from September to December, when I knew a lot less about the firm and its procedures, so I know I can handle it. But I also know from that time and to present that I'm going to be so busy the hours will just fly by. But that's OK. I really do love this job and being busy. I'm a dork, but on the drive in every morning this week, I said out loud, “I LOVE MY JOB” over and over. If cars next to me had been looking, they would've thought I had lost it.

What this also means is that a week from Monday, I get to leave my spot in the Finance department and return to the bigger, better spot in the Marketing department. I love that too! (No offense Finance types, but you were kind of driving me nuts. lol) I'm already re-decorating the area in my mind, and I can't wait to have that view back again.

Tomorrow is birthday cake day and I may even treat myself as a little celebration. We're also having a firm-wide video presentation by a Tuskeegee Airman in honor of Black History Month, with lunch catered. I'm really looking forward to the webinar because I think it's going to be fascinating. This firm is involved in a lot of diversity projects year-round, not just during February (and has won numerous national awards), and one of my upcoming projects is the annual diversity report. Another project I'm looking forward to, and it will be even more meaningful to me because I'll get to share my thoughts on tomorrow's presentation.

But the big thing on my plate right now is getting all the zillions of projects done for our annual invitation-only In-House Counsel Forum. Everything from a glossy 8-page program to foam core signs to name cards to gift bags to 100+ page "lookbooks" with bios for each attendee (about 80) and much, much more. My predecessor's last day is one week before this event, so it's pretty much all falling on my shoulders. I already know I'm working this weekend and next (putting sewing on hold), and I may even be going to the event, which is in Orlando. Exciting times ahead. Have I said how much I LOVE MY JOB!!!

I still can't believe how lucky I've been to land in the perfect job at the perfect time. Yes, it took some patience hanging in there, but it was so worth the wait.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the congrats, good wishes, and nice comments. Your support has been so wonderful these last months.

50 comments:

  1. Congratulations Debbie! You have your real wardrobe all ready for your real job. You are to be commended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, again!!! So are you already permanent?

    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your projects sound really interesting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are sooo lucky! I started a new job four months ago and I HATE MY BOSS! My husband has given me permission to resign but I want to hang in until I can find another job. We can scrape through on one income but I don't want us to suffer. We also have a prepaid trip to Germany coming up.

    I hope I can find a job I like as much as you love yours, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the fabric in your skirt, well, I like the skirt, too, but I WANT some of that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I've been following you on your journey, and honestly, girl, you bubble even when things aren't going well. I congratulate you for your perseverance and your "new" job. You certainly could be a role model for the "oldies but still goodies" who search for the job.

    And I really love your newly sewn pieces. Is that skirt a WalMart? I totally adore the fabric.

    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! It's always the way. :) Busy is good though and hopefully the busy part won't last too long so you can get back to the other thing you love, sewing. Now that you have permanent work I hope everything else falls nicely into place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, hugs, and attagirls! Woohoo! I am so happy for you. You've worked so hard and so deserve this. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats again. I hope you have a wonderful week. Really happy that you "Love your job."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! Your enthusiasm for the job... it must come through in the workplace, and that's a real plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH!!Patience paid off - big time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many many congrats!!!

    I love the print of that top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!!! And today's outfit is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Having not long gotten a similarly longed for great job, I know how you feel right now. It's a lovely surprise to have a nice little career spurt later in your working life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah! Apart from the doing 2 jobs thing, this is really great. You deserve it :-).
    And how about getting the bum out of the house? Don't let that slide just because you're busy, you'll feel a lot more energetic on your own for real..

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's wonderful news Debbie - and it's great being busy in a job you love too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations and so glad you love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Debbie, your clothes are beautiful, but your fabulous smile speaks volumes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy for you, Debbie! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, Debbie, from a long-time reader, first-time commenter. You really deserve it! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look so happy! good for you :))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your joy is singing through the blogosphere. Many congratulations, you so deserve this reward for all your hard work. I only hope you will still get time to get the pleasure of sewing and continue to share.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really happy for you Debbie, I know how much you wanted the job, and it is always so good when wonderful things happen for such a wonderful person! Hope everything else goes in your favor too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray! that is such great news :o) I hope you survive the busy time without too much stress!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woo Hoo! Congratulations! I would much rather be very busy at work than idle and watching the clock tick off the time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So happy that you are happy! :)

    ~Bev

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful, just wonderful; catered lunches, birthday cakes, benefits, travel, interesting work, pay. So very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Deb, you look like you are just glowing! I am so happy for you. Having a job you love makes life pretty well perfect...it always seems like everything just falls into place when we are doing something that we love. Best of luck to you and hope the rest of the year brings you even more good news and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome!!!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome!!!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are very lucky indeed, to not only have landed a job, but one you already know you love. Sewing will wait until you have time, but your wardrobe has been shaping up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! Having a job you love is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sounds fantastic. Your outfits look great, I love how you make warm colours and prints look smart and business like - so much nicer than all that black and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations!!! They would have been crazy to let you go. Don't let them work you to death...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your enthusiasm.
    I actually like my job - it's the people with no training that get promoted who haven't got a clue they could be much better managers with some outside training. I have high hopes that my new boss next week will actually embrace 'politeness' and extra-curricular training and my way will be so much easier.
    Thank you for sharing your positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy career and new life.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Permanent working girl looks exceedingly happy in these photos! Congratulations, good job you got all that sewing done when you had a little bit of time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congrats on getting hired on permanently!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Debbie - I haven't checked in for a while and how wonderful to come see and you've a new job that you love love love. Brilliant. Congratulations

    Great clothes too BTW!!

    Hope you get to go fabric hunting in Orlando????

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hooray for you Debbie, you can tell by your smile in the first picture how happy you are. It sounds like such an exciting and fun job. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm thrilled for you! And you look fabulous! Your excitement is shining very bright!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations! It sounds like you have worked hard and you deserve it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cheers and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks like cyberspace ate my comment... Humbug. Congratulations and love that outfit. My mind is swirling over sewing up skirts and pairing them with cardigans. Cute tote, I love totes and have been teased about carrying a handbag and tote. Are you a double bag carrier?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Debbie. Congratulations You have done amazing job. I like the fabric in your skirt and best wishes for your happy career and future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.