I made my way into the sewing room tonight. I was "forced" because Alex needed a pair of his shorts repaired at the crotch, and since I already had black thread in the machine and the shorts are black, well, it just made sense. Then I decided that while I was already in there, I would stay for a little while and add the casing and elastic to the waist of the dress-in-progress.I was on a roll, so I continued on.
Guess what this is? Maybe you have one too? It's a pile of interfacing scraps too big to toss but too small for most applications. Except tonight ...
The fabric I'm using is a drapey knit. Which is good for the dress. Not so good for the self-fabric waist sash. So I called out to my miserly self and starting "piecing" the interfacing scraps onto the sash before it gets sewn up. For this, it really doesn't matter if the pieces are perfect (they aren't). It really only needs some extra body so the sash doesn't collapse on itself around my waist. It took a bit longer than just cutting one solid piece of the fusible, but slowing down to piece the scraps instead let me make a little dent in that pile I keep around.
The actual sewing of the sash will wait until the next session, but since it's only a couple of seams and a turn and press, that part will go fast.
Here's where the dress stands tonight. You can see the elastic tail hanging out the bottom. While I did made the casing and insert the elastic, I never said that I actually tried it on yet to size the elastic. ;-) It's looking less sack-like now that it has a waist.