Friday, January 1, 2016

Cashmerette Appleton Dress in Review


Although technically I started this dress in December, I'm calling this my first make of 2016 since I finished, photographed, and blogged it today.

Overall, I like my finished dress and it's a great pattern. But ... there are a couple of things I changed during construction and a couple more I hope to change for a next version. The main thing is I'm not sure how I feel about the boobaliciousness on display with the ties riding up right under my bra. The ties are just sitting too high for my preference. I'm pointing the finger at me on this one, though. Meaning, it's due to my belly growing over the last couple of years from indulging in too many goodies and not enough sit-ups coupled with the body changes that creep up with age and so the ties just ride up even though they actually start in the right place to hit my true waist. I'm thinking maybe I'll add some belt holders but until then, I will likely wear this dress with a light gray cardi to camouflage the belly in profile view, at least until I get on with those sit-ups (don't hold your breath on that one). From the front, which is how you're seeing me in these pics, it looks fine. Great, even. :-) As a comparison to the Muse Gillian wrap dress, I prefer the Gillian's sewn in waistband for keeping both the ties and my waist in check.


I do L.O.V.E. the color and the dots, and the fabric is a nice ITY that drapes and swishes just right. I can't remember if it came from Fabric.com or Fabricmart but it was last year (I mean more than just yesterday), so I'm sure it's gone from wherever. It was a good match for this pattern.


So, onto the changes I made and what I'll do next time ...

First, simple, but I fused the opening ... er ... open with Steam-a-Seam. The fabric is slippery and I knew the "flaps" would probably work their way through the hole and look weird.


Next, I interfaced the ties. Not any of the neckline pieces, just the ties. You can see how they are attached separately onto the neckline pieces below. I prefer my waist ties to have some body so they don't collapse into themselves and get lost in the fluff that is my waist. If I had actually tested this pattern, I would've suggested adding the interfacing at least as an option.


Something I will change for next time is to move the shoulder seam backward. I do not have forward shoulders at all, just the opposite in fact, so the shoulder seams are riding a bit forward on me. (I don't know if this pattern is drafted for a more forward shoulder. Jenny?) This will be a fiddly pattern alteration, though, because there are a lot of pieces coming together here and the nice no-gape neckline is achieved by having these pieces fit together in a certain way. Alternatively, I may just make an erect back alteration to the back piece, which would be easier. I'm still evaluating the finished dress in my mirror.


The other thing I'll change for next time is to lengthen the ties about 12 inches. I want to be able to tie a bow and have the tie ends hang lower than they do at this length. Plus, I would make them different lengths so they are the same finished length when tied. Below, I've made a loop with just the longer side. There's not enough tie to make an adult bow vs. a little girl bow on the hip. This is an easy enough change once I do the math to figure out which tie needs to be longer than the other.


Here you can see the "structure" adding the interfacing gives the ties when going around the back. And you can see the deep hem. I thought the pattern wasn't going to be long enough and added a total of about 4 inches by spreading 1 inch in the middle and adding the rest at the hem edge. Yeah, that was overkill. I ended up making a 1.5 inch double-fold hem. But I do like the added weight of this hem so I'd probably do it again.


As for the pattern itself, I was using the paper version provided to me for free by Jenny (with no strings attached and if you know my blog, you know I tell it like it is). It's nicely drafted and comes with a lovely and comprehensive instruction book. From the instructions, I found it to be very straightforward figuring out what size vs. bust cup to choose. For the record, I used the E/F cup piece and cut a 20 at neckline/shoulders/waist and then morphed out to 24 for the hips (tummy in my case) on the front piece only. The fit is good through the shoulders, but I think the 18 up top might be even better. I went big due to the abundant negative ease in the bust as a "just in case." But in any case, no linebacker shoulders drafted here.

It's more than roomy enough around the hips/butt/belly and since the fronts wrap almost to the sideseam at each side, I don't have any fear of the wrap flying open and exposing anything better left covered. Beginners may find assembling the neckline pieces a bit tricky, but soldier on ... it works.

I can see why this pattern has been popular from its release. It's a pretty dress, flattering to and designed for curves. So nice to pretty much just cut, sew, wear.

A couple more gratuitous shots ...





38 comments:

  1. I think the dress looks great on you. Any tummy bulge you're worrying about seems to be well camouflaged by the print. Interfacing the ties was a great idea -- wish I had thought of that with my Kwik Sew wrap dress, which definitely suffers from Floppy Ties Syndrome! Finally, I love how you've shown us the dress inside out so we can see how it goes together. Sometimes the seam lines are hard to spot in Internet photos, especially with a print. Congratulations on your first make of the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this on you. Great fabric to pattern match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you Debbie and you look great in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are rockin' this dress. Nice fabric - very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is your dress. You need a closet of these! Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job on this! Love the fabric/pattern match and can't wait to see your next version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking dress! You know, I have the forward shoulder seam on this, too--I thought it was just something odd about how it was fitting me. I love your suggestion to interface the ties--I hadn't even thought of that, but I wish I had done that in my purple version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, and such a great colour on you. Love the interfacing, it looks so neat when the ties aren't collapsing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have been collecting lots of comments on this dress and thus far it is definitely a winner. I am loving seeing it look so good on so many real women. Your suggestions are good ones and will be used by many, including yours truly. Welcome back to blogging and a happy 2016 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress! I will use your interfacing suggestion.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, I have a forward rotated shoulder and usually do that adjustment, even on knits. This pattern fits perfectly through the shoulders on me as is. Love the idea of having the ties interfaced and if I ever need another wrap dress I will do this too. I do love this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and flattering! Makes me want to make another wrap dress. It's been years since I made a new one and I only have one left in rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress looks great on you, and I think you will get a lot of mileage out of it! Thanks for the detailed review....

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great on you ! Thanks for all the great tips on interfacing & all the how toos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love how you tell it like it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't like the dress until I saw yours. It really looks good on you. Your fabric choice helps to make this work. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the prettiest dress you have ever posted on this blog. You look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love this dress. That color is fantastic on you. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so pretty. Great suggestions about interfacing. Welcome back to this space. g

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very flattering dress Debbie. The print is perfect too. You should make more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely dress. You look great in it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lookin' good Debbie! It's good to see you back again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. great print choice for that dress, love the color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Deb,
    Great dress, you may want to look at how I solved the forward shoulder thing without touching at the collar bit I posted on my blog not too long ago. It might help.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This dress is just gorgeous on you - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was another one that wanted to see your review before I made up mine. Thanks for the great tips. Love the sleeve length you chose. I will definitely extend my ties and interface them. I will also fuse back the SA for the side tie opening. I am still going forward with a bit of trepidation since this isn't my usual dress style - but I want to be bold this new year - and a cardi or a cami can cover any of my personal issues if necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've seen a lot of versions of that dress, and it's a nice one. I'm not wild about ties hitting where yours do, either, but your tie carriers should solve that. (And my resolution to do situps is a nonstarter this year, so you've got company on that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This dress looks so nice on you. Its a very flattering color and style.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your dress looks great! Good idea to interface the ties. I might give that a go on my next one. Did you use stretch interfacing?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your dress looks great! Good idea to interface the ties. I might give that a go on my next one. Did you use stretch interfacing?

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is great fabric. I also interfaced the ties on mine - I feel validated about that now because I wasn't sure if it would work out (it did). I find the shoulder seams a tiny bit too far to the front, but I think in my case it's because my bust is pulling the dress forward a bit, I'm planning on going up a cup size next time I make it, which will hopefully help.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous dress! I do really love when there is an accent on a waist! I love both fabric and pattern, however it would be really interesting to see your updated version.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.