Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee

A couple of weeks ago, Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow went on a tee bender, cutting and sewing four (4!!!) tees in less than a weekend. Me, I can barely sew four seams in a row lately. Anyway, Gillian's post inspired me to download and try the free Kirsten Kimono tee from Maria Denmark. It's only two pattern pieces (plus a neckband) and I would've had it finished last weekend had I not made a really boneheaded mistake at the finish line. More on that later. Anyway, here's the finished tee. I added an interfaced self-fabric sash to add some waist definition (and give me a place to hang my pass card at work).



I don't remember the exact sheet count for the PDF and the file isn't on this computer for me to check but it wasn't too many, and it went together quickly and with no alignment issues. (Edited to add: I've checked the pattern and it's 20 pages, 8 of which are instructions. So, only 12 pages to put together.) Seam allowances are not included but it was easy enough to add them with my rotary blade attachment as I cut out the pattern.


I went back and forth over sizing and in the end picked too big for the neck/shoulders. I ended up adding two pleats to the center front to take up the excess. No big deal on the finished top, as they look intentional. However, the pic below is NOT the finished top. I thought it was nearly done last weekend, until I realized that I had mixed up the back and front and those pleats below are really the back. (See the shoulder seams riding "forward"?) Of course, I didn't realize my mistake until after I had attached and coverstitched the neckband. I ripped it all out and was able to finally finish it this past weekend. It wasn't too traumatic, just frustrating to have to put off finishing for another week.


As I mentioned, the tee is only two pieces - a front and a back so not too complicated. But one part that was a nice surprise was how well the underarm hem turned under. Often on dolman/kimono sleeves, the underarm hem has to be fudged when it doesn't turn under evenly. Not so here. (The coverstitching looks a little messy because you're seeing my ending threads run under the loops.)


The finished tee, this time with the pleats in front. The next time I make this, I'll narrow the upper width so I can eliminate the pleats, although I do like them on this top for little interest. All in all, a great fast project and pattern, or it would've been if I didn't mix up front and back the first go-round. And, hey, FREE!


And for a parting shot, if you follow me on Instagram (link upper left), you'll have already seen this photo of the grasshoppers that have invaded my neighbor's yard. They're cool and ewww at the same time.



28 comments:

  1. Pretty! Nice colours and I love the waist definition coming from the sash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great pattern and I love your version with the sash and the stylish neckline pleats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a great pattern. It's classic and can be made so fast!

      Delete
  3. Great tee! You made it work and the pleats at the neckline really do look intentional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda. Even though I'll size down a next version, I think the pleats are something to keep in mind to change up for a basic style.

      Delete
  4. Great top ! I love the tip on adding the pleats . Color is great on you & so versitile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those grasshoppers are baby lubbers. They'll grow up into huge yellow and black grasshoppers. The only things that can eat them are shrikes (they look like heavy mockingbirds) and even they have to stick them on briars and let them dry out for a while, they're that nasty.
    Great tee; love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I did look them up a couple of days ago and, well, since they aren't in my yard and my neighbor has all the pretty plants, I'll leave them to her. lol

      Delete
  6. I started on my 2nd Kirsten tee this weekend. Great minds think alike. I went down to a medium I think for the neck and it's still a little wide. Thanks for the pleats idea!
    Can you tell me how much smaller than the neck you cut the band? Being a boat neck, I'm thinking this could also almost be a 1:1 ratio there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I also interfaced my neckband since it's a curly ITY fabric. I first used the measurements given in the pattern and then lopped off an additional 2-3". I think even with the almost-boat neck, the band still needs to be smaller than 1:1. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  7. It looks so good with the mods and I love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A joy to read a new post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I"m so happy you liked the pattern! As it happens, i made a version once with pleats in the neckline... except I actually chose to put them in the back! ;) Can't remember why I added pleats, frankly, but I did, and that top is still in rotation! I like the addition of the belt - works nicely on your figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny about the back pleats. I feel like belts give me my waist back by disguising the belly in the blouson effect. Or maybe I'm delusional. Hahaha.

      Delete
  10. Love this top on you and the fun fabric. Great idea to add the sash for shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see you back and in such a nice top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. It's great to be back, although I've never really left. Hahaha. I just seem to have less time these days.

      Delete
  12. It's a lovely new top. Glad to see you sewing hopefully we will see more of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, I'm trying. I need to force myself to spend 15 minutes a weeknight. That's do-able and I'd make more progress instead of trying to squeeze everything into the weekends.

      Delete
  13. Love the top! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fabric & the sash looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fabric and this end version. I must make it one if these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fabric and this end version. I must make it one if these days!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually like the pleats in the front and would never have known it was a mistake. Some bodices have forward shoulder seams. I like the sash too and did you say FREE? Hmmm...

    One, maybe two, grasshoppers is cute. A small village? Not so much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh cute! And good solution, adding pleats to the front. I'm forever winding up with too-wide necklines (really need to learn how to fix that), so I'm keeping this in mind for the next time that happens. Such a great little detail!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.