A couple of weeks ago, Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow went on a tee bender, cutting and sewing four (4!!!) tees in less than a weekend. Me, I can barely sew four seams in a row lately. Anyway, Gillian's post inspired me to download and try the free Kirsten Kimono tee from Maria Denmark. It's only two pattern pieces (plus a neckband) and I would've had it finished last weekend had I not made a really boneheaded mistake at the finish line. More on that later. Anyway, here's the finished tee. I added an interfaced self-fabric sash to add some waist definition (and give me a place to hang my pass card at work).
I don't remember the exact sheet count for the PDF and the file isn't on this computer for me to check but it wasn't too many, and it went together quickly and with no alignment issues. (Edited to add: I've checked the pattern and it's 20 pages, 8 of which are instructions. So, only 12 pages to put together.) Seam allowances are not included but it was easy enough to add them with my rotary blade attachment as I cut out the pattern.
I went back and forth over sizing and in the end picked too big for the neck/shoulders. I ended up adding two pleats to the center front to take up the excess. No big deal on the finished top, as they look intentional. However, the pic below is NOT the finished top. I thought it was nearly done last weekend, until I realized that I had mixed up the back and front and those pleats below are really the back. (See the shoulder seams riding "forward"?) Of course, I didn't realize my mistake until after I had attached and coverstitched the neckband. I ripped it all out and was able to finally finish it this past weekend. It wasn't too traumatic, just frustrating to have to put off finishing for another week.
As I mentioned, the tee is only two pieces - a front and a back so not too complicated. But one part that was a nice surprise was how well the underarm hem turned under. Often on dolman/kimono sleeves, the underarm hem has to be fudged when it doesn't turn under evenly. Not so here. (The coverstitching looks a little messy because you're seeing my ending threads run under the loops.)
The finished tee, this time with the pleats in front. The next time I make this, I'll narrow the upper width so I can eliminate the pleats, although I do like them on this top for little interest. All in all, a great fast project and pattern, or it would've been if I didn't mix up front and back the first go-round. And, hey, FREE!
And for a parting shot, if you follow me on Instagram (link upper left), you'll have already seen this photo of the grasshoppers that have invaded my neighbor's yard. They're cool and ewww at the same time.