Monday, May 9, 2016

Kwik Sew 3873 and Cashmerette Concord Mash-Up: Reveal


I took this past Thursday and Friday off with big plans to sew for 4 days. Well, all I managed to finish was my mash-up of Kwik Sew 3873 with a Cashmerette Concord Tee bodice, but I'm happy with my new dress so it's a win. The weather was just too nice on Saturday to stay inside all day but the biggest speed bump was my second thoughts about all these prints together, resulting in a bad case of analysis paralysis.


Cutting went very quickly, especially considering how many pieces there are. Since I was using 3 different fabrics and most pattern pieces were able to be "nested," I still have plenty left of each print for future projects.


I had the print mix in my mind before I started, but once I had everything cut out, I started second-guessing myself and visualizing Mrs. Frizzle. I ended up staring at it all on my cutting table for about a day before I finally decided to just do it. Once I actually started, the sewing went fast. The Kwik Sew pieces for the skirt curvy sections have notches that line up perfectly, making alignment and construction very straightforward. And since I morphed the already-tested Cashmerette Concord Tee for the bodice section, fitting alterations were eliminated.


With the bodice and skirt sections stitched, it was time for some more navel gazing. I had initially cut out sleeves from the same print as the bodice but then thought maybe I wanted contrasting sleeves. I put out a call for an informal poll on Instagram and the opinions were about equal for both options.


I decided the matching sleeves were a little less Crazytown and since I already had them cut out, they won. I'm happy with that decision. A contrast neckband finished up the print mixing.


I shortened the sleeves about 2-1/2 inches compared to the KS pattern (not the Concord sleeve) because while I wanted to try the longer short sleeve length, I decided it was too frumpy on me. After the first full try-on, I also shortened the back bodice 1 inch at the center graduating to 0 at the side seams. This was more to fine-tune the morph of the Concord in lieu of a real muslin. It also meant frog-stitching the back waist seam, but since I hadn't serged that seam, it was fairly painless.

Finally, since I have to carry a key card at work and without pockets I have nowhere to hang it, I added a loop at the front right waist seam for clipping the card onto it. I have to say that I LOVE this feature. Dorky, but so useful!


All of the mirror pics show how I wore this dress to work today, including my key card. It's the end of the day so I'm a little wilted but life is life. I'm never going to win for most beautiful blog pics. Hah.


And one more just because. The bottom "hem" isn't really. I just left the cut edge raw. After wearing all day, I think it probably grew a little too long and I may go ahead and hem it at some point when I want to veg with Netflix and pin a million pins on a very wide skirt hem. In other words, don't anyone hold their breath on that one. :-)


Final verdict: I love the dress! It fits nicely, thanks to the Concord bodice (by the way, if you're busty/curvy, go get this tee now! I am not affiliated, yada yada ... just really happy with the pattern). The dress skims lumps and bumps,and the twirl/swish factor is awesome. I even like the print mix again. It feels summery and fun. I'll definitely be visiting this pattern morph again, just in a more subdued way. I think I'd like it as a skirt too.

Parting shot: My Mother's Day gift from Alex ... New ceramic pots and colorful crotons to put in them. I love them!


56 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Great idea to hack the Concord bodice onto such a fun skirt. I love the print combination, too. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I thought I loved the print combo when I started and then just froze when I was too up close and personal. Hah! I love it again now.

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome. :)I should look up that Kwik Sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely a nice pattern.

      Delete
  3. I really like your fabric combination. The dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like all the prints--looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. analysis paralysis! mrs frizzle! KEY CARD LOOP! there is too much to love in this post. i think all the thinking paid off :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. Love it. Keeping the prints in a neutral color range makes it really cohesive yet very visually interesting. The shape of the skirt falls so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia. I love the skirt part. It's drafted perfectly to use not too much fabric but give just enough swirl.

      Delete
  7. The dress is great, but I think the key card feature is genius, seriously. Why sew of you can't build in useful features?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene! The simple loop was one of those "ah hah!" moments. I know I'm going to love having it on this dress.

      Delete
  8. 4 days for a fabulous dress AND some "life" outside is pretty good going, especially with a mix of fabrics and patterns. And the fabrics work so well together - you nailed it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle. Yeah, having a life on the weekends really cuts into my sewing time but I try to keep a balance. I really need to convince myself to sew for just 15 minutes each weeknight.

      Delete
  9. I'm partial to adding useful features to my creations - the key card loop wins.
    Dress is fresh looking and who doesn't understand the twirl factor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could retrofit a loop onto all of my non-pocket work outfits.

      Delete
  10. This dress is a real winner! You look great in it and I love the combination of prints in black/white. I am going to give that Concord pattern a try since I am a 38 DD now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Concord is definitely a winner! I hope you like it too.

      Delete
  11. Your dress is pretty and fun. Re sleeves, I recently started thinking that sleeves in a contrasting dark color create a slimmer effect. Haven't tried it with my own sewing yet, so this idea is from looking at photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Carol, which is why I contemplated the darker sleeves. But I felt with this dress, yet another area of print contrast was just one too many.

      Delete
  12. love the combination of fabrics, you chose so perfectly. and great fit on a very pretty dress. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice dress! I love the layers on the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely dress, it looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress is awesome! Black and white prints always work! And I feel you on the Concord love...I need to make more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I'm definitely making more too. I have some new prints that will pair nicely with skirt solids for quick and easy (sew and wear) work outfits.

      Delete
  16. Oooh, that is SO FUN! I love it!
    You probably already do this, but I find using the differential feed on the serger to gather up the hem makes it easier to fold up a full circle skirt... no fighting with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need some of your pretty colorful necklaces (and scarves) to finish the look, but I think I'm just too cheap. Haha! Yes, I usually use the serger for circle hems but since I'm going to coverstitch this one (if I actually get that far), I'll probably just sit on the sofa one night and pin as I eyeball it.

      Delete
  17. Pretty dress and front porch, and I love the Ms Frizzle reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! The front porch is still a work in progress. The actual porch has stuff on it nearly a year later that shouldn't be there but doesn't fit anywhere else. More downsizing in my future ...

      Delete
  18. Analysis paralysis? Ha - that's me! I love your dress. The different print combinations make it fun. You did a great job combining those prints. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa. I am definitely enjoying the fun factor of the print mix. It makes the black feel more summery.

      Delete
  19. This is such a fun and flirty dress! Looks great on you, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great dress and it fits beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Man, Debbie, that tee fits sooooooooo nicely. You've convinced me to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L. I do think this pattern has good bones. But remember, I did do some initial adjustments so make a tester first.

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful mix of prints-cute dress and nice pics throughout this post (I wouldn't win either!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Mary! Sometimes I wish my photos were more ethereal like many other bloggers but then I wake up. Hee hee ...

      Delete
  23. Really cute dress & I love how you mixed the prints - they work so well together ! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing on you! The fit on the Concord top is really wonderful, and after seeing your Concord I bought one for myself. Can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, it is SO CUTE. I love the mixed prints - I think they look very good together! The whole dress turned out great and looks awesome on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome print mixing. Love this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your print mixing! I also loved the odd sleeve version. It was very artistic...which might have been hard to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute, cute dress and I love the mixed prints. Great idea on the tab for your card key. I have to wear a badge at work to get in and out of buildings and sometimes I have nothing to clip it to.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it. I bet every woman in your office is jealous of your tab for your card. The patterns work so well together and I love the way the dress fits you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the dress on you, perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.