Friday, August 25, 2023

Basic

You can't get more basic than this. Sorry for the snoozer but I will actually get a lot of wear out of this, if my current basic black knit skirt is any indication. This is the old formerly black skirt (right) next to the new one (left). Yeah, I was overdue, wouldn't you agree?
I copied pretty much everything from the old skirt, including the slit. The only thing I didn't have on hand was 2" wide elastic. So I adjusted the top edge and used some of my 50-yard roll of 1-1/2" elastic from Wawak. I also didn't make a separate elastic casing. I was boring myself with this project and just wanted to be done already so I just serged, turned, and coverstitched it down.
Note to self: If you leave your coverstitch machine sitting for 2 years, it would probably be a good idea to dust off the harp before dragging your new black skirt across it. That's the wrong side of the hem/slit edge. Yuck. The harp is clean now though. LOL!
Next up is this b/w dotty woven fabric. It was the other piece that had been sitting on my dryer for 2 years with the fabric I recently made into a Rhapsody. I'm forcing myself to use it before I venture into my stash. It's been so long that I don't even remember where I bought it. (Funny story - I was digging through a bin of miscellaneous sewing stuff that had been sitting in the other room. I found bits and pieces of masks and mask makings, some Wonder Clips I forgot I bought, and a brand new, tags still attached, pair of knit joggers that I also forgot about — the "TNT" Old Navy RTW that I've been living in around home. I'm sure I bought them as a backup since I love all my others so much. I don't even need them yet since the others are still in excellent condition. I'm usually NOT scatterbrained like this, but this is definitely an indication of how weird the last 3+ years have been.)
I'm going to be giving the Love Notions Melody Dolman a try. I don't think I'll be wearing it tied up, but never say never. I'm hoping to get the pattern taped together tomorrow. And maybe some pictures up on the walls in the sewing room. It's so … blank in there.
If this top works out, it will be something else I can wear to the office. Or around the house. Speaking of the office, we just moved to a new building a few weeks ago (I think I mentioned that already in another recent post) which means I've lost my trusty work bathroom selfies mirror. A moment of silence, please. The new building, not my firm, owns the bathroom spaces, so I don't think anything will be improving there. I also don't have a true full-length mirror in my house so it looks like I'll be shopping for one of those soon. 

Have a great weekend! I hope to be checking in again soon with progress on the Melody.

3 comments:

  1. Walmart has a HUGE full length mirror for a reasonable price, like less than $40. I believe. And hurray for basics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That new black skirt will definitely be a workhorse! Also, I have washed fabric stacked on my dryer that has been there for at least 2 years. I'm trying to sew from that stack, or at least alternate so I can move it to the fabric closet. Speaking of losing things, when I sorted, refolded and reorganized the fabric closet earlier this year, I folded all the fabric in half, my shelves are really deep, so I stacked some fabric in front of another stack and then couldn't find my challis. I think I'll have to unfold those two stacks and turn them into one, won't be as pretty, but I won't lose fabric in the back ;) g

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled to see you are blogging again. I always enjoyed reading your posts. The Melody looks looks like a winner. Quick to sew, and a nice, comfortable style to wear to the office or around the house

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.