Thursday, August 24, 2023

Easy Peasy

This post is really to remove the "Under (Temporary) Maintenance" post as the last post, because I really have not done much since my last "sewing" post (which was a wadder to bring you up to speed)

The good news is I believe I fixed the issues I was having with my blog. Replying to comments seems to work again. I can add new entries to my two blogrolls at the right. My archive of old blog posts at the left is expandable/working again. There are few small things that aren't back to my preference, like typefaces and sizes, but I'm going to just let it roll for now because I just don't feel like spending more time in the HTML bowels of the blog. 

So, back to the sewing stuff. I am making the absolute easiest thing in the world. A black ponte knit skirt, which uses one pattern piece cut two times. You'd think I'd be done by now. But you'd be wrong. 

I was going to use my RTW skirt (on its last legs hence this project) to create a pattern, so I'd get lengths and widths correct. Then I went a step further and decided to just modify an actual pattern instead of, I don't know, drawing lines on paper. The problem with drawing lines on paper was I have no idea where any pattern paper is at the moment, so modifying an existing pattern seemed easier. Neither method was going to be particularly hard. It's a tube of fabric with elastic at the top. 

I used Kwik Sew 3256, which I last sewed 7 years and many pounds ago, and which I actually cut instead of tracing. I used the top section of View A. 


I still have the skirt hanging in my closet so I could try squeeze it on and figure out adjustments. I added up adding many inches by just adding copy/printer paper (thank you office!) to the sides and bottom with Post-It tape (LOVE this stuff!). That way my original pattern can survive unharmed.


I should have had the skirt finished yesterday but I was having the weirdest problem with skipped stitches. My trusty main machine has never done this before. I finally changed the needle and was back to sewing. But that put me off for the afternoon so I've still got the side slits to sew around, and black thread on black fabric + over 40 eyes at night (who are we kidding? Over 60!) don't mix. I hope to finish it up tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you're interested in someone who is undertaking a much more interesting and challenging project than my stupid-easy black skirt, I encourage you to go visit Bunny's blog and follow her as she makes what's going to be a fabulously fancy sparkly wonder! 

Also since I can't help it, I leave you with another photo of Cyrus. Who is definitely in the running for Most Spoiled Dog in the World. 

7 comments:

  1. Awe,,,,thanks for the tag, Debbie. I had a good day today with my sparkles. I know your persistence will come thru on this skirt. Who ever lets pounds stop a project, right? Cyrus is precious with his pink toy, I'm sure one of many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Bunny! I'm enjoying your progress and thought processes from afar.

      Delete
  2. So glad to see more of your progress! Oh, how much you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please sign with a name so I know who you are. I allow anonymous comments but I can't tell anyone apart. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you have renewed blogging. There is so much useful information in your blog. I also appreciate SO MUCH your using a dark, easy-to-read font. So many places use a very pale, eye-straining font and I don't know of a way to make it darker and easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Also, thank you for the feedback on the font - it's one of the things I'm still unsure about. I used to have a "curvy" (serif) font, which is technically easier to read, but I didn't want everything on the blog to use that style so I've let Blogger have its way for now. One day, I'll dig back into the code. But I will definitely be keeping the main text black on white. My older eyes appreciate it too.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad to see you back to blogging! I quit sewing clothes about 5 years ago when I went to full time remote work (even before covid), but I still love to see what other people are making. My sewing has transitioned to some home dec stuff (curtains, cushion covers, etc.), quilts, and lots of machine embroidery. Cyrus is such a handsome boy, keep those pictures of him coming please! My Gracy sends him ear scratches and belly rubs :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.