Thursday, August 31, 2023

Hurricane Sewing - Melody Dolman

As I've mentioned, my firm has moved to a new building. This new building's management has slightly different policies during hurricane times in Tampa, and I'm here for them (the new policies — hurricanes not so much)! This building shuts down as soon as there is an official Hurricane Warning from the weather service. Well, that official warning for Idalia came Monday afternoon. Which means the building and my office was closed from then through yesterday (Wednesday), and it was sewing time! It felt like a "snow day" from my youth. As far as the hurricane, I had nothing but rain Tuesday night and never lost power. It's still rainy today so I'm tired of rain but I'll take that over an actual hurricane.

Below is my finished Love Notions Melody Dolman. It's too big on Zillie because Zillie is currently smaller than me. 

I was able to look at past orders online where I learned this fabric is a rayon challis I bought from Fabricmart in 2020. That's the last of the old dryer fabrics. 

The sewing part was a breeze (hurricane pun?). But the buttonholes made me want to scream. My (now ancient but still loved) Viking D1 is in sore need of servicing and it just did NOT want to make buttonholes without a fight. Ripping out a black thread buttonhole on b/w fabric is not a pleasant job. After doing that once, I decided to move to Plan B …
… which was bringing out my Featherweight and the Singer buttonhole attachment. I shouldn't have grumbled about this because it didn't take long to set up, review You Tube to be sure I was threading and attaching correctly, and then make 6 perfect buttonholes in a row. Plus, it was fun to visit with my Featherweight. 
Here are the finished Featherweight buttonholes. Sorry, you can't see much with the black thread on b/w. (One of my near-future projects really needs to be a new ironing board cover.)
Below you can see the edges of my buttonhole and the buttons I chose for this top, as well as my fading chalk marks for placement. These buttons are from Carolyn years and years ago. Thank you again Carolyn! I went with 6 buttons instead of the 5 per the pattern. I may have even gone for 7 if I had 7 buttons. I like less gaping opportunity.
Overall, I think the pattern is pretty good and goes together well. The only other thing I'd change (and I did) would be to interface the entire integrated facing instead of using just a strip per the pattern below. 
Here's the inside of the shirt. Nothing too exciting here. I attached the cuffs technically wrong but I wanted them to be bands and not cuffs so they're attached opposite of the pattern instructions. At the bottom of the shirt, I turned up a 3/8" hem, twice, and stitched it from the wrong side. 
The Melody has a standard camp collar, with good instructions, although I question why they have you snip 1/2" into a 3/8" seam allowance. I think that's a typo? But if you've been lounging around your living room watching Netflix for the past couple of years and NOT sewing (who me?), a good refresher is Katrina's video below. Her Lifting Pins and Needles channel is fun to watch.


I'm not sure what's up next. Now that I've sewn up the dryer fabric, I have given myself permission to look through my stash. That should reacquaint me with what I have and hopefully inspire a pattern/project choice.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about interfacing the Melody dolman. I have the pattern but haven’t made it yet. I’m so glad you’re blogging again. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! I just cut the facing section off of the main pattern piece to use it for cutting the interfacing, and then re-taped it back on with Post-It tape so the pattern is ready to go again. I'll probably just trace a separate facing piece next time, but I was out of tracing paper until today.

      Delete
  2. That looks great, I'll go and watch the video as I have struggled with those types of collars in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, Katrina's video is great! She is detailed and shows everything close-up.

      Delete
  3. You're back!! How did I miss that?? Love your blog....love the sewing info, also my body shape is similar to yours so it's nice to see how patterns shape up on you first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Yes, I'm back! Thankfully, the sewing bug has bitten me again, and I missed my blog.

      Delete
  4. I love sewing buttonholes on older Singers with the attachment. The buttonholes are so easy and quick and always look nice.

    The only trick is getting the buttonhole cam to start in the same place every time. I hate it when I misalign my buttonhole because I haven’t started in precisely the same spot. User error. 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely fun to bring out the old classics. Such workhorses!

      Delete
  5. Those buttonholes look great. You can't beat a vintage SM for a great buttonhole. My old Kenmore knocks em out of the park. I have had my eye on this pattern ever since I saw Katrina's video. But at 44 degrees this morning it is not on the front burner. I will get to it. It's a great design. Thanks for making it and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be months before we see any temps close to 44 degrees. I am a little jealous. While I love my vintage machines/buttonholer, I find myself going down the path of looking at new machines. My current machine is due for servicing and I may soon relegate it to backup afterward if the shop has another Viking that's not the price of a car!

      Delete
  6. This is a great top! Love Notions seems to have some great patterns. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I agree - Love Notions seems to have some winners and also some "sleepers" that have possibilities when you look at them a second time. I've been pleased with all of their patterns so far.

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.