Sunday, September 10, 2023

A Bit of Shopping

I am truly and well back into the sewing thing, as evidenced by my recent shopping sprees. Yes, I have two cabinets (plus some bins in the garage) full of fabric. Does that stop me from adding to the collection? Nope. I feel I'm preaching to the choir.

In the top row below are ITY knits purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics. The solid black will become a top of some sort. The b/w print a top and skirt. And the coral/white dots likely another top and skirt. The bottom row are all rayon challis purchased from Fabric Mart. They are bit thinner than I was expecting, but they will still work for tops and dresses. They are being prewashed as I type. I hope to stay away from further fabric purchases since I really have more than enough and I actually WANT to sew some of the stash so I can finally wear it. But I had to dip my toe in a little bit to get the sewjo into high gear. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I also went on a bit of a PDF pattern buying bender. I now own the Chalk & Notch Fringe, the Itch to Stitch Nittany, and the Love Notions Saltwhistle. I will print them when I'm in the office next week, because free office printing is one of the perks of actually going into the office.

The Fringe will be first up in the woven category but not until I've sewn another knit top currently in the works (see below). I will definitely have to muslin this one and I'm sure I'll be adding length to the skirt and straightening the shirt tail hem. 
The Nittany below has neckline pleats which are impossible to see in this print. There's also an option for a keyhole in the middle of the pleats. Not sure which option I'll try, but this will be another I'll have to muslin.
And finally the Saltwhistle, which was on a $5 Friday sale. I'm not in love with the scallops, especially as tiers, but I do like the square neckline. I'll likely make a dress version with short sleeves. I'm sure I'll need a muslin for this one too. At least in Swedish Tracing Paper if not fabric.
The biggest purchase is a sister for my Designer 1. But by "big" I mean a mere fraction of what I paid new for my original D1. I paid nearly $5K for my original about 20 years ago. (Gah, How has it been that long??!) I paid $170 on Ebay for its sister. Sister seems to work very well, but it does have a couple of issues that will need to be fixed at the local repair shop. 
First, the thread cover broke off in shipping. Well, one of the hinges holding it in place. (My original D1 with the thread cover flipped up is on the right, the "new" one is on the left.) Second, the auto thread cutter "thingie" is completely missing so it doesn't cut the bobbin thread. This missing piece wasn't mentioned in the listing and the seller has not responded to any of my inquiries, so Boo on that. But the machine itself seems to work well otherwise so I'm going to keep it anyway and just get those things fixed and still feel I got a good deal. I can snip threads with scissors until then.

You're probably wondering why I bought a SECOND machine exactly like my original? Well, the truth is that while I ADORE my D1, it has some things that need fixing too and I've been just limping along for YEARS instead of bringing it in for repairs. I just haven't wanted to be without it while it's in the shop. Yes, I haven't actually been sewing for the last couple of years so I could have EASILY been without it (and I do have other "vintage" machines), but sewing and machines were not top of mind. Now that they are again, I just decided I must have a comparable backup. And well, just because. :-) I thought $170 was a reasonable backup price, not that I don't think my original was worth every penny I paid because it was/is and I still love it.

It's going to be a shock to be sewing with a working reverse, a light over the needle, and a fix button that I don't have to trick into working by re-selecting my stitch every time I want to end a seam. Yes, I have been sewing without a reverse for years. How ridiculous pitiful lazy is that? 

So my plan is to bring my original D1 into the shop next weekend and keep its sister at home to sew. Then I'll switch them when my baby is ready. I also might want to look at some new machines. Ahem. I never did spend that Pandemic relief money so who knows? 

Currently on the cutting table is another Niagara top. My last one was one of the last things I made a couple of years ago before the sewjo went MIA. I still love/wear it and want another. Stay tuned.

19 comments:

  1. I love the Saltwater and wished I had grabbed it for $5. I'm looking for the perfect 'underdress' to wear under some very sheer voluminous dresses. Also, my D1 is also 20 years old. Last year I took it in for service and found out the bearing at the top of the needle shaft is almost finished and not replaceable. Saving to replace it and my serger, which is slightly older. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no ... there's something on the D1 besides the motherboard that can't be replaced?? I wonder if you could get a "parts" D1 for that? I'm not about to drop what top of the line machines cost these days but I have been eyeing some mid-rangers. I'll probably need a new serger at some point soon too, because mine grinds and moans when it's starting up and no amount of oil seems to fix that. Should probably bring it in for service too.

      Delete
    2. Hi Debbie

      If you use facebook. there is a group that has the Designer ! repair manual in their files. I have found
      that the reply that I get for Designer 1 parts are not available when I took it in for service. The Buttonworx works to fix the buttons on the machine , available on Amazon

      Marilyn in Oviedo Fl.

      Delete
  2. Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I’m glad you’re blogging again! Can’t wait to see your new creations. I feel my sewjo gradually returning and I’m very glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to be back too and glad the sewjo came back. I really did miss it.

      Delete
  4. I too like my D1. My main concern has been the motherboard, good for you finding such a reasonable price on a second D1. I'd love to find one for parts, but the only one I've seen for sale locally was over $1000! I've been looking off and on at machines, just in case my D1 dies and cannot be fixed. I've seen a Janome that I'd probably be okay with but am not jumping for joy at making a change any time soon. I've actually sewn some garments on my Singer Featherweight recently and it's nice to use it more and keep it running smoothly. I also have my Kenmore from the 80's and am curious about getting it back up and running. Yes, I'd miss lots of the handy features...but I did lots of nice sewing on that machine over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm concerned about the motherboard so maybe this 2nd machine will be a backup parts machine if it comes to that. I don't think D1s are worth $1000 anymore. They come up on Ebay often enough at low prices that it was worth it to take a gamble on this one and I think $170 is a good investment if only for parts but I can sew on it until then. There are usually no emb unit or many accessories, but I already have those, so that's not a problem for me. I'm lucky that I also have other backup machines but my true love is my computerized Viking. I just have always loved this machine.

      Delete
  5. So happy to see you back. I’ve wondered a number of times what happened to you. I’ve had a hiatus, too, but never stopped “mental sewing”. I make the most beautiful creations when I’m mental sewing. 😂 I also was surprised to see Bloglovin begin to work again after being told it was kaput. That was how I always kept up with the Blogs I followed.
    Anyway, your familiar face is a very welcome sight. Keep up the good work. It’s inspiring as my sewjo has returned, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, Bloglovin seems to be working again. But truthfully even though I wasn't active on my blog, I still used my Blogroll to keep up with others. I have hundreds on there and it's a good place for me to quickly check in. And yes to mental sewing! I'm glad to finally be really sewing again though.

      Delete
  6. I always have a backup machine. Who knows when you are going to need it? Like Christmas Eve......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have multiple backups ... just not as fancy as my D1, so I'm spoiled and never want to be without her.

      Delete
  7. Hi Debbie,
    I'm so glad that your sewing mojo is back and that you're posting on your blog again! Even when you weren't posting, I visited your blog so I could 'borrow' your blogroll (hope you don't mind) to check what others were sewing.
    I average 1-10 items sewn per year, and usually, the sewn item is something practical for the home, usually for the skinny dog, rather than a clothing item for me. However, your renewed sewjo has somehow leapt across the screen and I managed to finish a long languishing pair of Fremantle pants (2019!), hems and all. They're wearable; yay, yay, double triple yay! bring out the parade, the clowns, the cymbals! okay, not the scary clowns, and not in an embarrassing, I raided my grandmother's closet way. First pair of wearable bottoms, not including made-with-thrifted sheets pajama bottoms (saving the 'good' fabric scenario, although I think thrifted sheets for clothes are awesome) .
    Back to the point, love that you're posting again. Your sewing is inspiring as well as practical and I look forward to seeing many more of your makes and reading about your take on life and all things sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachael! And yay for finishing wearable pants!! And definitely do NOT bring out the scary clowns but we can sure do a parade. LOL!

      Delete
  8. I love my old D1 too and bought a Sapphire in 2020 fearing it would die any day. But she continues to sew a perfect straight stitch, I don’t dare touch the control pad (which flickers and fades). The repair shop said when that computer finally goes there are no repairs. So I use the new one for anything other than a perfect straight stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have subliminally influenced me. I came home with a new Sapphire this past weekend.

      Delete
  9. Isn't it insane how much our computerized modern machines lose value in just a few years?! I think it's brilliant that you bought yourself the exact same machine "preowned" as a backup. I bought a new, smaller Bernina once when I dropped off my "main squeeze" machine for service and found out I wouldn't be getting it back for a month. Turns out the smaller machine is nice for taking to guild classes and events, but it annoys me that the baby machine doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that I'm used to on the big machine. So, question for you -- is there decent garment fabric at JoAnn anymore or is it all crap? I have had bad experiences with some of the fabric I've bought there pilling up and starting to look nasty after the first wash, really disappointing when you've put in so much time to make something, but when I was there the other day I noticed some apparently (to my less-experienced garment fabric judging eyes) nice French terry and other knit fabrics that were tempting. I love browsing Gorgeous Fabrics, Emma One Sock and Mood but I have wasted so much money ordering knit fabrics online and then when it shows up it's not at all what I expected and won't work for the garments I wanted to make with it. I finally sold my serger and coverstitch machine and replaced them with Babylocks. And I did that Marie Kondo Tidying Up thing where you go through your closet and get rid of everything that doesn't "bring you joy," so now I'm standing naked in an empty closet and I need to start sewing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't comment about Joann's fabric as I haven't been in one of their stores in years. I think you need to learn exactly which fabrics you like. I know that Ann at GF and Linda at EOS will happily steer you toward matches. I don't think Mood does this online, but I really don't know. I believe all will send sample though. So maybe that's what you need? Certainly better than staying naked in that closet! I've been online fabric shopping for enough years that I've gotten pretty good at knowing what I'll be getting, but even then, I do get some duds once in a blue moon.

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.