Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Niagara No. 3

Continuing on with the (unplanned) turquoise and navy theme of the month, I made my third Pattern Niche Niagara top in stash ITY knit from Fabric Mart (I think).
For this one, I extended the cut-on-fold pattern pieces so I could cut flat in order to center some of the motifs in a more pleasing manner than willy-nilly. I'm not going to lie - this was a Royal Pain in the Arse since I had 4+ yards of this fabric and wrangling the slipperyness and weight of it over my cutting table and then cutting the big pieces was a Chore. But it all worked out and I'm happy with the design placement (although I could be a tiny bit happier with the lower front bodice but I wasn't about to re-do it for something no one but me will notice/care about.) I do love how the back yoke turned out.

This fabric has a border print along each selvedge and I decided to take advantage of it for both the neck binding and by adding sleeve bands.
To go along with my blog return, I also cracked open my Instagram account yesterday and posted a couple of these photos, noting that my binding skills seem to be like riding a bike. Whew! I don't, however, think my current bike riding skills are like binding with a coverstitcher. ;-) 


Part of the "skill" is using scraps of fusible interfacing on the binding strips to give them a bit of oomph and to prevent the edges from curling. Match the direction of stretch in the interfacing to the crosswise stretch of the binding.
I guess I've been in a hole, but apparently quilters are using coverstitch binders on their sewing machines to attach quilt bindings? Of course, the sewing machine companies aren't calling them coverstitch binders and are selling them at high dollar with specialty plates so the binder can be attached to the sewing machine. Interesting. Anyway, I saw a tip in a You Tube video (13:15 mark) to use an awl between the foot and binder to help guide the binding, as shown below. It's a good tip and I highly recommend it when coverstitching a binding on.
Are you Team All The Pins when you attach gathering to a non-gathered piece? I say the more the merrier and sew very s-l-o-w-l-y over them. Next up will be a skirt to match this top. I'm not sure of the length yet (probably midi so I'm not a complete walking wallpaper) but I do want to try to incorporate more of the border into it. There's now less of the fabric to wrestle so hopefully cutting out will be a little easier.

12 comments:

  1. You’re on a roll! Clever use of the fabric. (VickiM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice top! I can't wait to see it with the matching skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. I'm still thinking about patterns for the skirt so I can use that border. Or I may go simple and just piece the border to the bottom.

      Delete
  3. I like the use of the border as binding on this top!
    I had not heard of using a coverstitch binder on sewing machines for quilt binding. I watched that video, and all I have to say is - it might be fine for wall hangings, but for a quilt that will see much handling and laundering...I'll stick with the traditional binding, thank you very much. At least there's 2 layers of binding fabric to wear out before it needs mending or replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think using the CS binder on a sewing machine for quilts looks too fiddly, and this from someone who is very comfortable with the binder. I'd rather bind the normal way in front of the TV, if I were to ever finish a quilt again. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Your ability to inspire hasn't gone anywhere!!!!!! Great project there. It's bound to look terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and lovely top, Debbie. Thank you for all the wonderful tips. Yes, I sew gathers the same as you. It gives me the best results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cennetta! Glad to know you're another crazy pinner. LOL

      Delete
  6. You are the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.