Wednesday, September 20, 2023

What's New?!

I haven't done any actual sewing since my last post, but I have done some sewing adjacent activities.

I've been working on the Chalk and Notch Fringe dress. First was assembling the PDF. This is NOT a no-trim pattern. Boo. I spent an evening in front of the TV trimming the pages. Yes, I know I could do the "fold a corner thing" but actually trimming gave me an excuse to do something sew-y that didn't take much brain power. 
I left the TV to assemble the pages and sort out which pages/pieces I needed and which I didn't. Thankfully, I can use my office printers and not worry about ink or paper because there were a LOT of wasted pages, like 10-ish or so pages just for interfacing patterns and 5-6 that ended up being blank after turning off smaller size layers. I don't use/need interfacing patterns and I either just block fuse (preferred) or I use the actual pattern pieces. I certainly didn't need to print interfacing patterns for a bunch of different sizes but I found the "key" for which pages to print kind of fiddly and/or my brain just was not on full power. I generally print ALL the pages (thanks office!) and the sizes around my general base size and then I sort out which of them I actually need to put together. 

The fabric I'm planning to use is below. It's the Fabric Mart navy blue/dotty rayon from one of my last posts, which is now hanging over my chair since I pre-washed and pressed it.
The big (BIG!) sewing-adjacent activity (previewed on Instagram) was bringing in my Designer 1 for service (finally!) and also coming home with this. 
Meet my new toy! It's not a top of the line anymore but it's certainly at least 50 steps up from my Designer 1. It's weird (and not gonna lie, still a teeny bit annoying) to have to wait for my sewing machine to boot up. But it's also very cool to have a 21st Century sewing machine. This one better not die before I do. Not that my D1 is dead — I expect to pick her up in a couple of weeks.
I went into the store set on a Topaz 50. But there were a couple of quirks I just wasn't thrilled with. Silly, minor things but things that would bug me nonetheless. Don't get me wrong, the Topaz is an excellent machine and I almost came home with one but … I spent a good 2+ hours in the store (an independent fabric store slash Viking/Pfaff/Singer dealer) and the saleswomen were very patient with me, letting me go back and forth between machines and do whatever I wanted with no pressure, and in the end, the owner/saleswoman dropped the price of the Sapphire 85 considerably lower than what I have ever seen for a new OR used one and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. If you're ever in my area and need a new machine or sewing stuff, I highly recommend Fabric Warehouse in Lakeland. (Side note and probably one reason for the extra good price on my Sapphire — There's a new Designer Epic 3 coming out next month that's going to cost ~$25K. It's quite a machine from the previews but for that price, it had better drive me to the fabric store too.) 

Here's the internet on my new machine. Well, sort of. I haven't actually created my account yet.
Here's the regular stuff.
All of my Designer 1 feet and accessories are 100% compatible, including embroidery hoops, which is great news because I have about every foot made and it's nice to not have to re-buy them. But I knew that before heading to the store which was another reason I stuck with same "family," the main reason being I'm just a Viking girl.

But there are some Viking feet I didn't know about until I started looking at new machine stuff, including an "interchangeable" walking foot. It's just like a regular walking foot except there are specialty feet options, such as an edge joining foot, a 1/4" guide foot, and others, so you can dual feed AND precisely topstitch/edgestitch at the same time. Cool, right? I'm not sure how often I'll actually need it, but I was stupidly happy one was included with my new machine. My name is Debbie (hi Debbie!) and I have a machine/accessories problem. ;-) 

I'm hoping to get my dress cut out before the weekend so I can actually SEW for real on this new machine. I will not be shopping for a while. 


12 comments:

  1. I love Viking machines and they are the only ones I use. Of course, being Swedish helps as that is what everything was growing up, even our cook wear. I love the navy fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I hope you get to make your dress with that new beauty. Sofie Sew Darn Tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaw on floor. That's some machine! My new (well, last year) machine was Janome's best mechanical... the HD 5000. I had an electronic machine that I'd gotten in 2014 and it drove me nuts...Every time I turned it on, it reverted to the default stitch settings. I had to ask it nicely to do things. I'm not sure I would get along with an actual computerized sewing machine, lol.

    And my two youngest kids now live in the Auburndale-Lakeland area. We should meet up sometime when I'm down visiting them... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this machine 3 weeks ago. Traded the Diamond in on it that was starting to have issues. I avoided the larger Ruby and Epic's simply because of the size of bobbins. Like you said, this is the last of the upgrades for the Designer series. I really like this one so far. Only complaint is the User Guide does not explain all the buttons that show up on the screen. Everything is now touch the ? and the button for an explanation. I know I will eventually get there, but annoying still. And it is HEAVY. That said, I love Viking's and this one is a joy. It makes me happy. God willing and the creek don't rise, this will be my last machine. Naw, not going there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bobbins were a factor for me too. I didn't want to have to start over. I hope you enjoy your new Sapphire too. It will be fun to get to know this machine.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your new toy :) I also have a Designer 1 and love my machine. I also have the PFAFF Creative Sensation. Both are awesome machines but upgrading the Designer 1 would be very nice, especially if all the feet and accessories can be used. That's a win! enjoy your machine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Pfaffs are nice machines too, I'm just not familiar with them. And it's probably just as well that I stay away so I don't add to my collection! I'm still looking forward to my D1 coming home as it's still my "baby," at least until I get more familiar with the Sapphire.

      Delete
  6. "Meet my new toy!" Don't you mean "new power tool"? With that many bells and whistles, not to mention cost, IMHO power tool is a much more accurate term. Awesome, whatever you call it!! So cool to be able to use the same presser feet, bobbins, etc between them. I hope it brings many years of good sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it's definitely a power tool but more fun than a table saw.

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.