Sunday, October 1, 2023

Chalk and Notch Fringe Dress - Finished

My Fringe Dress is done, and overall I like it. I'm still not loving the fabric though. The print/color is good. But the fabric quality is just OK. It's very drapey and comfortable, though I expect it to wear out quickly.
The dress sat in Time Out for a week because the bottom edge just seemed so uneven and I didn't want to deal with trying to even it out. (I had eliminated the curved up sides of the pattern and just squared off the hem but that wasn't a factor.)
Here's another view. It looks like the sides of the dress are hanging much lower than the front/back.
Well, today I had the brilliant idea to finally try on the darn dress. And, guess what? The bottom edge hangs MUCH straighter on my actual body and not Zillie's. The dolman sleeves without arms in them made the sides of the dress hang lower. It's obvious NOW, but when I was looking it on Zillie, all I could see was the floppy unevenness, hence the Time Out. 
I decided that any residual unevenness is not obvious when I'm wearing it, so I just hemmed it, added buttons, and called it Done. (Do you see my Cyrus—aka Velcro—behind me?)

Here's the back view. (I really need to fix Zillie's tilt.)
The inseam pockets.
And the sleeve "cuffs" that are the View B sleeves bands, which aren't really cuffed and there are no tabs. I didn't want to fiddle with those.
I also didn't want to fiddle with buttonholes. The dress fits over my head fine so I just sewed the buttons on, by machine, through all the layers. 
Before I get into my very few quibbles, I'll say the pattern goes together very well, I like it, and I'm sure I'll make it again. Now here we go on the quibbles …

The PDF prints in landscape orientation and I found that kind of awkward. It's not a deal breaker and I know I'm being nit-picky, but I do wish at least the instructions were portrait oriented. It's just what feels "normal" to me. I kept reading the left side of the page top to the bottom and then the right side, like columns and not rows, and the instructions are oriented in rows not columns, so I was reading out of numerical order and had to keep self-correcting.

I found it completely ridiculous that there are about 20 pages devoted to patterns for interfacing. (Outlined in yellow below.)
And even if you deselect those sizes in the layers tab of Acrobat, the interfacing pages still print with the page outlines and number watermarks. Yes, I could have checked and done a custom page selection before clicking Print but since I print at the office, I tend to just print everything because I blend between sizes and I want to be sure I don't miss something. Even with the "key" telling you what to print for certain sizes, it's difficult to know which pages are actual pattern pieces and which are interfacing pieces. If you're using your own printing supplies, you may want to check what pages you can eliminate from printing. Twenty extra is a lot.

After all that, I didn't even use the interfacing patterns, preferring instead to block fuse my interfacing to my fabric and cut out the facing pieces that way. The instructions have you fuse the interfacing to the garment wrong side instead of to the facings, although fusing to the facings is an "option" mentioned. Fusing to the garment side of things is way too fiddley for me, especially with this floppy rayon challis. (See here if I didn't explain well.) I'll also mention that the interfacing pattern pieces do not include seam allowances, which can be good in theory but extra fiddley to place accurately. Also, you shouldn't be using interfacing on this dress that is thick/firm enough to be a problem in the seam allowances so I think eliminating the seam allowances from the interfacing pieces is not really necessary here. Plus, I *like* the interfacing to go to the edge of my facings, especially on fabric that ravels when you just look at it sideways. And I don't turn under the edges of my facings - I just overlock/serge those suckers, at least for non-fancy stuff like this. So I guess what I'm saying is the instructions are fancier than I sew. Haha.

But the instructions overall are good. Not too verbose and well-illustrated with diagrams/drawings. If you prefer photo instructions or want more fitting help, there's also very good extra information on C&N's sew along pages, here.

Like I said above, I do want to make this again and I like the pattern. Any negatives I've detailed above are not show stoppers and are easily remedied or overlooked. I also hope to get a decent pic of me in this one, but who knows when that will happen. 

Question(s) of the Day: Do any of you watch sewing channels on You Tube? Who are your favorites? I have a few but I'm always looking for new ones. I miss the sewing shows from PBS. Sandra and Nancy and Shirley were gems, weren't they?

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE that dress. You did a fantastic job and it looks great on you. … I really enjoy The Sewing Workshop videos each Tuesday. A bunch of them by now—good information and great inspiration. I just finished watching the Crooked Hem blogger’s channel series on top down center out pants fitting, which I’m getting ready to try. … Yes, 😔. I miss the PBS shows. Highlight of my life was meeting Sandra Betzina at one of her trunk shows. Took vacation and drove many miles for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for the YT recommendations. Two new ones for me to check out.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I miss sewing ( and quilting) shows on PBS. I used to watch them while I did my ironing for the week on Saturday mornings. Retired RN , and I used to iron my uniforms and my husbands’s shirts. Don’t really miss that. I haven’t found any I kept up with. Most of the ones I have seen are a lot of talking and simple things I know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironing - don't know what I was thinking with all these wovens I've been making lately. LOL Now I have ironing to do. But I do love wearing them so I suppose I shall just suck it up. I enjoy some of the newer sewists' channels from time to time just for their enthusiasm. It's also good to have on as background noise since I don't have to pay close attention and it feels more like having a sewing friend in the room.

      Delete
  3. I loke the dress, I bet it is very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it one of the most comfortable dresses I've worn in a while. The only downside is having to iron it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie. I’m so happy to see you back in the land of blogs. Love all your posts. The dress looks great! I used this pattern to make a shirt which I really like. Very comfy. YouTube suggestion - I really like Lifting Pins and Needles. Lots of really good sew alongs and details of the tricky bits as well as some fancy suggestions for alternative ways of sewing different parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love Katrina's channel too. She has some very good tutorials.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love the dots too. I just wish the fabric was a wee bit more substantial.

      Delete
  6. I love your polka dot dress. I bet this colorway looks great on you. Interestingly, I had the exact same issue with the dolman sleeved dress I just finished. On the hanger and form the hem hung way out of wack, and that was after being hung over a couple of weeks. But when I put it on, well, let's just agree our butts and tummies realligned things and the hem was perfect. Really surprised me and I went ahead and stitched it done.

    As far as youtubs, I miss the old classics as well but find there are some taking up the slack. Karina Trinidad of Lifting Pins and Needles is right up there with Nancy in my opinion. She is so clear and knowledgeable and calm to watch and listen to. I have learned a lot watching her. I will think of more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. Yes, I've been into navy lately because I think it's probably one of "my" colors. Funny that you had the same experience with dolman sleeves. I've tended not to make many in wovens in the past so this was a new experience. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Hah! It's been hemmed and worn and seems to be just fine on my body.
      I love Katina's channel too. She's very good!

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.