Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Birthday Shorts


Technically, I finished these before DH's birthday since they were wrapped and waiting when he woke up. But in actuality, I was still sewing long after midnight. I called it quits sometime around 2 a.m. WHY do I always get these Bright Ideas at the last minute?? I never did get to measure his RTW shorts inseam so these were wrapped with serged but unhemmed legs. It only took 10 minutes to finish them this morning and DH has been wearing them ever since.

I should've just hemmed them because I had guessed correctly -- adding a 1.5" to the length and then sewing a 1" hem seems to be the perfect length. Oh well, better safe than sorry and DH really didn't mind. (He's great that way.) Since I was running behind, I also made the Executive (time-saving) Decision to just go with the Velcro waist closure instead of a button. DH doesn't seem to mind that either and since I had some No-Snag Velcro, I'm hoping I won't mind come laundry day.

All of the details and more photos can be seen in the review for Pattern Review, here. Oh, and in case you're wondering, that's my older son in the photo with DH.

8 comments:

  1. These shorts are fabulous and glad DH is enjoying them! You almost (yes, "almost") make me want to make a pair for my DH.

    I also have these brilliant ideas at the last minute (usually while driving) and then wonder why I get so stressed out trying to bring my idea/s to fruition...

    BTW, nice picture of the men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am glad that I did. I will be a regular reader and wish you lots of luck with it.
    --Linscee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - so glad to see you in the blogging community. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love seeing the stuff you're making when I happen upon your posts on one of the Sewing Threads. Great work - welcome!!!

    By the way - your men are very handsome. The shorts look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! The shorts too! And coincidentally, my DH has sandals just like those. I bought some "experimental" fabric today for making the prototype shorts for my DH - a poly-cotton blend in dark khaki. Is that a pleated pocket on the side? Mine would like a small buttoned pocket for his cell phone. Have to finish the seersucker shirt first...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind words everyone! Julia, yes, those are pleated (cargo) pockets on the side. If you go to my project pics page in the sidebar, there are more pics of the shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shorts Debbie! I'm so excited that you are blogging. Yay! Please let me request you get a bloglines feed so I can add you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Project pics! They are great. I love the detail on the shorts. I'm about to start the layout etc. of mine next. I know I keep saying that but -- soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie,
    I am so glad you have this web site. Eventhough I am nearly a senior citizen I love to sew fashionable clothing and your tips have been a great help to me and many others. I have lots of fitting issues and you make it seem easy to alter a pattern. So thanks again for sharing all your wisdom and beautiful clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.