Saturday, October 6, 2007

It's The Little Things



You probably already know that this is a thread rack. But what you may not know is that it's a tiny thread rack, costing about $3.50 from Nancy's Notions. When I saw it, I was in love and I bought it pronto!

This is where I sew.



My machines are spaced along a 6-ft counter. Generally, it's more than enough room. Except, as I sew I tend to accumulate "clutter" to the right of the sewing machine. Things like the 2-3 presser feet I'm switching between during a project, my thread snippers, different spools of thread for different parts of a project, and more. And then, if I have to move to the coverstitch machine on the far right, my garment gets laid over the top of that pile of clutter and invariably something slips to the floor or I have to hunt underneath for my snips. This drives me NUTS as I'm usually a very organized person. A place for everything and everything in its place.

The little thread rack arrived yesterday. This morning, I couldn't wait to get to the sewing room to get things in order. Now the space between the sewing machine and coverstitch machine looks like this:



The white basket to the left of the thread rack isn't a new addition, It's always been there. It holds my most-often used notions. Things like tweezers, my "stick", bodkins, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, screwdriver, lint brush, etc. But now the mini thread rack is also in place and it's currently holding the spools of thread for a project in process, a spool of white thread that's almost used up but has too much thread left to toss, same for a cone of serger thread, topstitching thread for a pair of DS's jeans that need repair, and a couple of straws holding matching bobbins that I don't want to "file" away with the rest of the bobbins yet, lest I forget which one matches which.

Also added today was another little white basket that will "float" between the two machines. I'll toss the in-use presser feet and needle cases** in there, along with my pin cushion. Then, when I need to move to the coverstitch machine, all I'll have to do is move that little basket aside instead of gathering up each piece of clutter individually.

**I leave the whole needle case out so that I can tell at a glance what needle is in my machine. When I switch needle types, I put the previous case away and put the new case out.

Yeah, I'm probably a bit OCD about all of this, but for now, I'm feeling very pleased with the results.

12 comments:

  1. You are so right about the little things making a big difference. I love the floating basket idea. I am constantly losing presser feet and other things during a project. Thank you so much for such a simple but yet fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I will have to get that small thread rack! I have the perfect place for it and it is a great idea to keep those spools for the current project at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, great idea with the thread rack. I, like you, am a bit OCD. Fortunately I have a large acrylic extension table on my sewing machine and a bit larger basket like you've got with my "stuff" in it and it fits under that acrylic table. I can look through the table and see what I want in the basket. It's out of the way under the table, too.

    But I may "have" to buy that small thread rack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* the little basket idea...all those extra feet and seam rippers and seam markers and bobbins drive me nuts while I'm sewing, and I'm always afraid of losing bits in the trash can. Great idea!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little basket idea. I have the same problem with things accumulating next to my machine and fouling things when I'm working on the machine beside it. I have a little mouse pad to the right of my machine that keeps things I set there from sliding around, but a little basket would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRILLIANT! I don't think you are OCD! You are maximizing your sewing time and space. Now, I "need" the small thread rack. Thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I love the idea of the floating basket for presser feet, etc. I will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the little basket - i used to do that and don't know why I stopped! How do you store your bobbins? I have tried a couple different ways and can't find one I like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a similar little vintage rack (actually found 2 of them) which I use between my machines.

    And I thought I was the only one who was OCD like this...LOL

    With friendship,
    Lisa
    http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, will bobbin spools fit on those spindles? I usually place my bobbins in a little tray attached to my sewing machine, but find I have more bobbins threaded than the little tray holds. If I could stack them on one of those little spindles, that would rock too.

    I like your idea of using a regular countertop for your sewing table. I may try that as I'm still deciding what to use for my sewing table as I redo my sewing room. Seems to me like a very inexpensive solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, Debbie, you had such a brilliant idea that now Nancy's Notions is backordered 2 weeks out for the mini thread rack! Vicky F

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simplicity 9076 has a can caddy pattern that I used, it has pockets. You can be quite creative with it, you need an empty coffee can.
    cb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.