Friday, February 8, 2008

It's a Wrap



The top is finished. You can read the full review on PatternReview.com, here.

I did use Rose's trick of sewing the ties in half so they would stop rolling out to the wrong side. This worked great so thanks again! (BTW Rose, are you MasoumaRose on PR?)



Below are two photos showing the after-the-fact elastic insertion. I threaded it through the end of the hem straight through to the other side. I used safety pins to hold it in place while I tried it on and then anchored it at the two areas between the red circles. I pulled the tails out at the sides and cut them off so the only elastic left is between those two points. (Just for kicks, I also pinned the stretched elastic at the armhole seams to simulate how the elastic would behave if I followed the pattern instructions. It definitely pulled the armholes inward in an odd way so I'm glad I didn't have to be stuck with only that option.)





The top on me:



Two questions from the comments regarding this top:

From Sherril: "I was worried about those ties not working on me since I have such a short waist. Do you think they would work better if they were just shortened and tied in the back, not wrapped around to the front?"
Personally, I don't like anything tied in the back after a certain age … say 10. ;-) To me, it says either "little girl" or "maternity." So, my answer is no. I think you should tie in front, but also lengthen the overall length of the top to give the illusion of more torso/waist. And you'll probably want to use Rose's idea too. Just my 2 cents.

From Nancy K: "Did you do an fba on this? It is not clear."
Yes, and No. ;-) No, because I was using my TNT Ottobre tee pattern pieces which already have a full bust allowance incorporated via easing extra front length into the back sideseam. But Yes, because I did add extra length (~1.5") to the crossover pieces to compensate for the extra length a full bust needs for coverage.

19 comments:

  1. Damn, this is FANTABULOUS! One of your best tops so far!!! I am trying like mad to win the Jan.2008 Burda on eBay. Hope I can get one this weekend. Must make that top too!
    Fab job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!!! Love this top on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better! A beautiful top. Those long hanging ties would have been an annoyance to me also.
    donna w
    Edmonton, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous as always. Love the fabric. I've always loved red. You always have the best fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: I'll bet you were glad you did all that narrow hemming, huh? ;-)
    Note to self: subscribe to Burda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Debbie--your top looks great! I'm glad that my suggestion regarding the ties worked out for you. Yes, I'm MasoumaRose on PatternReview. Cheers, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic on you Debbie. Great idea with the elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was not optimistic about this one at first with those ties. I was wrong though. The top is really great looking on you. I wish it were mine ! mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The top has turned out great and very flattering. Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I won a copy of the Burda....yipppeeee!
    I roared with laughter at the picture of those sashes hanging loose. DH asked what was so funny...I stiffled a....sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a talent not only for sewing but for explaining your processes. Your instructions are the clearest I've ever seen. This wrap top is beautiful on you. Are you willing to tell us where the fabric is from? And is it cotton, rayon, poly or a blend?

    Thanks for being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look really great on you! I look at those wrap tops and think, "yeah right!" But that one looks really great on you! I might have missed it but what fabric did you use and from what source?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, What I cannot clearly understand is, where exactly did you attach the camisole/panel on the front pieces? OR, is it a complete (back and front) camisole with the front attached to the wrap?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie this turned out really well for you. It is different but looks really cool. Good tip on the sewing the ties to them selves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, great job! The top looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your insight Debbie. Maybe I'll just skip this one.

    ~Sherril~

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, this top looks beautiful on you

    ReplyDelete
  18. This top looks WONDERFUL ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea to handle the elastic this way. I had asked Leslie if she should have just left this piece off and then won a copy on eBay to see for myself LOL. I'll try your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.