Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pizza Shop

DS#1's favorite pizza topping is BBQ chicken. (He could eat chicken every night of the week, but that's another story.) Over the weekend we somehow ended up talking about BBQ chicken pizza and so I decided that I'd try making pizza dough in the bread machine and we'd have pizza for Monday night's dinner.

When we order pizza, the boys usually go through one themselves and I figured I'd need to make at least two pizzas. Until I read the recipe, I thought one batch of dough would be enough for two large pizzas. I was wrong. I'd have to make the dough twice.

I started making the dough yesterday morning, timing it so that the second batch would be ready when it was actually time to make the pizzas. While the first batch of dough was processing, I went ahead and cooked the chicken, added BBQ sauce, and then put it in a covered bowl to sit in the fridge for a few hours and marinate.

Here are the two pizzas assembled and ready to go in the oven.



DS anticipating the tasty goodness. (His words!)



One finished pizza and the accompanying salad.



It turned out great and tasted wonderful. The pizza was so filling that we could've gotten by with just one. But now DS and I have pizza leftovers for lunch today, so that's fine with us.

There's nothing really fancy about this recipe since I used some ready-made products and the dough recipe from my bread machine manual, but here it is:

BBQ Chicken Pizza & Bread Machine Pizza Dough

Dough:
1 Cup Beer or Water (I used water, we were out of beer)
1 tbsp. Shortening (I used olive oil)
1 tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
3 Cups White Bread Flour
1-1/4 tsp. Yeast
2 tbsp. Cornmeal

1. Put all ingredients except for cornmeal into bread pan in the order listed.
2. Process on Dough setting.
3. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. If necessary (it wasn't), knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.
4. Grease pans (two 12-inch, one 14-inch or one 15x10 inch) and sprinkle with cornmeal. (I used pizza stones so I didn't grease them but I did use the cornmeal.)
5. Roll out dough and place on pan/stone. (We used a combination of "pizza shop dough handling" and a floured rolling pin.)
5. Top each pizza with sauce, toppings, cheese, etc. Bake at 425 for 15-25 minutes, or until done. Pizza is done when edges of crust are golden and cheese is bubbly.
Yield: 1 large or 2 medium pizzas

Topping (for 2 large pizzas):
3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2/3 bottle BBQ sauce
1-1/2 jars of pizza sauce (about 2-3 cups)
1 green pepper, chopped into small pieces
1/2 onion, sliced thin
handful of fresh cilantro
shredded cheese (4-6 cups) (I combined mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar and jack)
Cook chicken on stove until done. Add enough BBQ sauce to coat plus a little extra. Cook for a few more minutes until the BBQ sauce is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.

Pour 1-1/2 jars of pizza sauce into a bowl. Add 1/2 - 1 cup of BBQ sauce (amount is per your preference). Mix and then using a ladle, spoon over pizza crust and spread to within 1/2" of crust edge.

Sprinkle on cheese. Add BBQ chicken, onion slices, and green peppers. Add cilantro leaves over everything. (We like cilantro so we probably used more than average.)

=================

Is it lunchtime yet? ;-)

18 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have never heard of this kind of pizza living in a small town? This sounds so yummy. When I get to go grocery shop I am getting the ingredients to try this. I may make them when my out of state family visits the week of Easter. Thanks for telling us how to do them. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So their pizza obsession doesn't wane as they get older http://stitchoneknittoo.blogspot.com/
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a very good cook so whenever you add a recipe, I am always amazed that you are as inventive as a cook as you are as a sewist!

    Boy does that look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn,
    Gotta live up to that last name I married into. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, at least you can keep your son out of the oven, so the food can cook! I hear a lot about tasty goodness here, too. The big boys start coming home for spring break on March 1; I know a few guys who will applaud this idea, since they once held an entire dinnertime discussion about what foods BBQ sauce would improve (all meats - yes; brownies - undecided)! Oh, and if I make 4 large square trays, I have part of one left over...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't making your own pizza fun? And it's healthy and economical too. Your recipes look very tasty. Usually we just plop some sauce on (1/2 tomato paste, 1/2 spaghetti sauce) or cut up homegrown tomatoes when in season. We add whatever veggies or sausage we have available and then top with shredded cheese. But I'm going to have to try your recipe because it's making my mouth water!

    We have a flat wooden pizza paddle and a terra cotta pizza stone - very useful to have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, yum! I think we're going to have pizza for tea sometime this week. Our favorite pizza is Chicken and cranberry (with camembert cheese). It's the only flavour, other than Hawaiian, that the whole family will eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanx for the recipe! I love pizza dough made in the bread machine!! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeast and I don't get along! This issue even warrented a post on my blog. My mother actually snorted when I told her that I use a candy thermometer to make sure my liquids are the right temp. But since I don't have a bread machine, I'll take all the help I can get! Your pizza looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to try this. BBQ chicken pizza is my son's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmm, looks yummy. I make homemade pizza regularly. But have never used chicken. But I and my girls like CPC garlic chicken pizza. Since I DO cook/bake (what seems to me to be at least twice as much as the average mom in my neighborhood) you'd think I'd know what you mean by "cook the chicken", but I'm wondering if you saute/fry it? bake it? nuke it? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    I thoroughly read all of the directions on pattern sheet instructions also. :-)
    Oh, and cybele, I can't tell if you're serious, but NO, I'm pretty sure 22 yo ds (doesn't live at home, so I can't be positive) pretty much LIVES on pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some yummy looking pizza! I'm going to give the recipe a whirl over the weekend. I have a dough I like pretty well, but I'm still searching for the "perfect" one - maybe yours is it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks absolutely fabulous! May I ask what brand of bread machine you use and if you would recommend it/buy it again?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. Papa Murphy's BBQ Chicken is one of my favorites (second after their garlic chicken pizza with the white sauce!). I'd love to make my own. :) thanks!

    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pizzas look great. The last time I made pizza was before my dh was diagnosed with celiac disease. I used to love to make it on the grill. It is really delicious this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.