Friday, January 1, 2010

Coverstitch: "Lazy" Coverstitch Hem

Most of my hems I do "by eye," thus the "lazy" method.

First, I press up a hem.


With the hem pressed, I bring the item to the CS machine and place it raw edge side UP under the needles so that the left-most needle is just at the inside of the raw edge. Most of the time my edge does not line up right next to one of the guidelines because those guidelines are more regularly incremental than my "by eye" amount.


So, out comes my handy-dandy "hem guide." Yes, a little pad of Post-It notes. (Thanks to a PR member for this tip.) I butt it up next to the folded edge and press down so the whole pad is temporarily stuck in place.


Then I turn the fabric over so the wrong side is facing down and I'm ready to start stitching.


Voila! The underside of the hem is encased in coverstitching with no raw edges to trim. (Please pardon the stitch quality of the off-grain hastily made sample.)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I am about to purchase one soon and I am learning a lot just by reading your blog...FIESTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post-it note pad tip is great, and combining it with yours is super too! I always seem to stray off when doing CS. I hope these tips are in the new PR book, I must have missed them in my random readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tutorials are so helpful thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, for showing that tip. I cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great tip! Thank you! I just coverhemmed a pair of knit pants and my stitches aren't straight at all. this tip is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got my new Babylock Coverstitch and your information is incredible - I do believe there is a book in you! Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us newbies! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow; what a helpful tip and so easy, thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just mulling over getting a coverstitch machine, love this hemming tip, must go to the cheap chinese shop for post its!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so pleased to have found this blog. I was looking at an overlock machine with cover stitch ability. Because of this post, I have a clearer idea of what a cover stitch can do and I believe I should buy two separate machines now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tips! Just got my coverpro and was struggling to keep them encased at the underside.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.