Monday, April 5, 2010

Simplicity 3893 Done, Plus Faux Cami Panel


Here it is, goofy facial expressions and all. I really need to take back my tripod from DS#1. And then I need a new camera with more user-friendly timer options.

So anyway, back to the top. I like it. It was super easy and fast to make. Only 4 pattern pieces, since the sleeves are cut-on. The only fiddly part would've been if I had followed Simplicity's instructions for the elastic by making a casing out of the seam allowances. No, thank you. Instead, I followed Angie's lead and serged my elastic *to* the seam allowances, and then turned the whole thing downward toward the lower bodice and coverstitched it down from the right side, simulating a casing. The close-up pic I had for that came out way blurry so you'll have to take my word for it that it looks fabulous. :-)

I know some people think that busty plus size girls shouldn't wear kimono style sleeves, but I say it depends. I think this one is fine on me. First, the fabric is drapey and the sleeves are not exaggerated in width; second, the neckline and modesty panel make your eyes look there and not at my sleeves; and lastly, they're just comfortable, so pfffffftt. Rules were made to be broken. ;-)

Speaking of the modesty panel, I had a request in the comments from my last post to show how I would do it so I took pics along the way. And is it really a modesty panel if one is not usually very modest? I think I'm going to call it a Faux Cami Panel. ;-)

I start with a rough-cut rectangle of fabric, that is both long and wide enough to cover the area that needs covering, plus extra. For this panel, I serged clear elastic to the top edge (so it wouldn't bag out when worn) and then turned it down and double topstitched it. I usually would've used my coverstitch machine for this but it was threaded brown and I hadn't yet hemmed the top so I was being lazy. At other times, I might also bind the top edge. It depends on my mood and energy level.

Front:


Back:


Next, I put on the top and then stuck the panel piece in place. I used my washable marker to draw guidelines on the panel so I'd know how to match everything up when sewed the panel to the top. I like to do this try-on step because bazooms do make a difference in stretch and placement of the panel.


I then added pins on the top to mark the height where the panel would be sewn. They are uneven in this pic because the panel slid while I was taking the photo.


My marked panel piece.


I sewed the panel onto the top from the right side of the top, following the top/coverstitching on the front that was already in place from turning under the neckline.


This is the back view. The panel is wet to remove the marker lines.


Panel trimmed and done.


Voila! It's still wet so it's kind of baggy.

28 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that busty plus size girls shouldn't wear kimono sleeves...so thanks for telling me ;)

    And I recognize that fabric...I had some too! Cute top and I like the faux cami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great on you! I think the "rules" are made to be broken anyway (and I've never thought that the busty can't wear kimono sleeves... why not?) I like the faux cami - so many tops I have not made because I didn't feel like exposing my cleavage or wearing another shirt underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for that faux modesty panel tute. I always thought they were more trouble that they were worth, but now? I can see myself doing them. I would never be able to find a cami the right color, and have also suddenly reached a point of being molten all the time. Good thing I moved out of Florida! I think the combination of Florida and "the change" would have done me in. Although I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks to clean out my mother's house so that it can be listed. The AC will be cranked up..or is that down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking top! Thanks for the tips on adding a modesty panel.

    I'd like to contact you to let you know that over at www.WeAllSew.com we'd like to link to your fabulous sewing blog next week. Contact me at ErikaLynn (at) onemain (dot) com with any questions or for more information. Thanks - Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I might have to go pattern shopping. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this top on you, much more flattering than on your dress form!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful top! I love your faux cami insert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely top and thanks for the How-to on the modesty panel. I could use a few of them for my tops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a nice top. And who writes the rules anyway, and do they consult the girls who wear the clothes after the rules are written?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice. I like that look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea plus-size gals weren't supposed to wear kimono sleeves. Pffft is right! I think that is a great top on you - very flattering and it looks super comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this very much, in fact, I think I've seen this print somewhere else this weekend. I've never heard that plus size shouldn't wear kimono sleeves. This looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woohoo I'm a LEADER!! :P (This is only exciting because I'm usually the perpetual follower.)

    And that's one DANG cute top. And I concur. I read that kimono-nono (bwhaha) all the time and just have to shrug. I look fabulous in that top, and a couple more with the same style sleeves (a BWOF 10/08 top/dress comes to mind!)

    Dang. Now I'm probably gonna have to follow you and make another one of these tops.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also stitch elastic onto seam allowances instead of into casings whenever I can get away with it - which is always, right? Also, rules were made to be broken! Great top!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks fantastic on you.
    Great info for the faux cami panel, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you serge the elastic on, do you stretch it or not?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That top is very slimming and flattering. It looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your fabric choice, and I think the kimono style is very flattering on you. I'm thinking of getting a coverstitch machine. Would you share your experience with using one. TIA Judi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, your top looks awesome as everything you make does. Thankyou so much for showing us how to do the modesty panel, I appreciate your generosity and the time you put in to make the instructions so clear. Love reading your blog. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty top! Thanks for the info on the 'faux cami panel'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your top looks amazing on. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial on the faux cami-my few attempts in years past to fill in necklines like that have always looked like after thoughts and not done well at all. I still am not home to sew and wear stinking rtw all the time. There is nothing available at any price like the wonderful items you stitch up, I just love your blog and all the sharing of your sewing and family life. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruth, yes, I do stretch the elastic as I apply it since it is cut shorter than the circumference it's being applied to. It's like serging waistband elastic to a waist - do it in the round and quarter it as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! It is very flattering. I'd never heard that rule, but looking at this top on you it really doesn't make any sense!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really appreciate this tutorial! The top is beautiful and I think it looks fabulous on you! You are definitely right about the kimono sleeves - I think it totally depends and it is a great look for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great! I will remake one of my T-shirt, thank you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for posting! Now I can make some patterns I have that were too revealing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.