Here it is, goofy facial expressions and all. I really need to take back my tripod from DS#1. And then I need a new camera with more user-friendly timer options.
So anyway, back to the top. I like it. It was super easy and fast to make. Only 4 pattern pieces, since the sleeves are cut-on. The only fiddly part would've been if I had followed Simplicity's instructions for the elastic by making a casing out of the seam allowances. No, thank you. Instead, I followed Angie's lead and serged my elastic *to* the seam allowances, and then turned the whole thing downward toward the lower bodice and coverstitched it down from the right side, simulating a casing. The close-up pic I had for that came out way blurry so you'll have to take my word for it that it looks fabulous. :-)
I know some people think that busty plus size girls shouldn't wear kimono style sleeves, but I say it depends. I think this one is fine on me. First, the fabric is drapey and the sleeves are not exaggerated in width; second, the neckline and modesty panel make your eyes look there and not at my sleeves; and lastly, they're just comfortable, so pfffffftt. Rules were made to be broken. ;-)
Speaking of the modesty panel, I had a request in the comments from my last post to show how I would do it so I took pics along the way. And is it really a modesty panel if one is not usually very modest? I think I'm going to call it a Faux Cami Panel. ;-)
I start with a rough-cut rectangle of fabric, that is both long and wide enough to cover the area that needs covering, plus extra. For this panel, I serged clear elastic to the top edge (so it wouldn't bag out when worn) and then turned it down and double topstitched it. I usually would've used my coverstitch machine for this but it was threaded brown and I hadn't yet hemmed the top so I was being lazy. At other times, I might also bind the top edge. It depends on my mood and energy level.
Next, I put on the top and then stuck the panel piece in place. I used my washable marker to draw guidelines on the panel so I'd know how to match everything up when sewed the panel to the top. I like to do this try-on step because bazooms do make a difference in stretch and placement of the panel.
I then added pins on the top to mark the height where the panel would be sewn. They are uneven in this pic because the panel slid while I was taking the photo.
My marked panel piece.
I sewed the panel onto the top from the right side of the top, following the top/coverstitching on the front that was already in place from turning under the neckline.
This is the back view. The panel is wet to remove the marker lines.
Panel trimmed and done.
Voila! It's still wet so it's kind of baggy.
SEWING SPACES/SEWING ESSENTIALS/WHAT DO YOU LOVE...
28 minutes ago