Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blondies for a Rainy Afternoon



It's a gray rainy day here, which I think justifies a batch of something rich and gooey. And, of course, with chocolate! These will take the gloom away. (Now, if we could only do something about the humidity.)



Here's the recipe. My sons say milk is a mandatory beverage with these.

Ingredients:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
2/3 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chopped nuts and set aside.

2. Melt butter (love the microwave for this!). Add brown sugar and mix well. Cool slightly.

3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla together and add sugar/butter mixture. Mix well.

4. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well.

5. Spread in 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until edges are firm and golden and shrinking away from the pan.

Cool for about 15 minutes and cut. Let sit another 15 minutes if you can, and then remove from pan. Makes 16 if you cut squares, 20 if you cut smaller rectangles.

* * * * *

And although I know Marjie is probably cringing, I have to share DS's blurry cellphone pic too. The pups always get to lick off the beaters around here. Don't worry - when they're done it goes through the dishwasher and all kooties are cleaned away. And they have much smaller tongues than Thor so fewer kooties, right? ;-)

13 comments:

  1. I think I would just eat the dough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my house, your dogs would not get a chance at beaters! The blondies look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! And Onyx, the rottweiler always gets to lick the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! - - Drsue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you and the dogs would be right at home in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am envious of the rain you received, not so much the blondies. We live maybe 15 miles from where you are and received not a drop, again. It is so hot, so humid, so miserable, and yet we seem to have an invisible dome overhead keeping the rain off our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At my house, *I* would lick the beaters! (Cats not allowed to have chocolate.) Those look yummie! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sent my daughter an email asking her to make these for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pup would have licked the beater also.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, thank heavens the photo was blurry so I couldn't get the full cringe effect! We love blondies around here, too. I don't even bother making just one batch at a time, because I know they'll be gone in 2 seconds. And Thor doesn't get blondies. He only gets applesauce cake. It's full of healthy stuff, especially since I make it with meringue instead of frosting! Your dogs want one now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look fantastic! And I agree with your son re: the milk accompaniment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.