Finished Objects. Get it? I'm just so witty. ;-)
These are the pattern photos for Vogue 8559.The only useable photos are the ones of ivory top. Uh, hello Vogue (and Marci)? Photos of black garments are freakin' useless!! What were they thinking?
The cardigan is quite short, which you can see in one photo and also when you see the pattern pieces.I added 5" to the length, which seems to be about right for me. Even though all of the views look to be pretty much the same, there are actually two very distinct ways to make these, along with very different pattern pieces to go with. The view I didn't make has no sideseams and is basically one big square with holes for sleeves and the neckline. It's a little more finessed than that, but I'm speaking generally.
|Must shrink Zillie soon as she's all boob now and I'm not|
Because I was eeking this out of leftover fabric, I chose the other view which is a more traditional looking cardigan pattern. In retrospect, I would probably still choose this view no matter how much fabric I have, because when there are no sideseams, there is also no sideseam shaping at the waist. I want all the help I can get. ;-)
I really liked the ethereal effect of the trim on the ivory cardigan on the pattern envelope. I didn't have anything even close the mesh-y trim used for that but I did use a thin and much drapier rayon knit for my trim, which is sewn lapped with all edges left raw. The main bodice pieces are ponte knit. I like how it turned out, and I think it will look even better after going through the wash and curling up. How lucky that I had two browns that matched perfectly. Another reason for a big fabric stash (like I need an excuse?).
The pattern is divided into 2 size ranges, XS-S-M and L-XL, one range per envelope. I cut a straight L, which is a 16-18 pattern size. The only alterations I made were the length adjustment mentioned above and a square shoulder adjustment. For the length, I just added to the bottom. I did incorporate the little cut-out on the back bottom edge, but I forgot to take a pic of the back on Zillie. I'll take a pic of that when I'm wearing it. I'm not sure when that will be since I don't have anything to wear under it yet.
Here it is with the Burda skirt I finished last night. It's just quickly pinned on Zillie since it doesn't fit her. Yay!. For this one, I sewed the panel and sideseams about 1/8" deeper since my first makes a few months ago are really too loose now. It's snug, but not for long.
I also cut the side panels on the bias, but pics of plaid get so wonky it's hard to see. Click the pic to enlarge it and it will be clearer.
This is a little better.
Now I need to get busy on two wallets I need to send out this week. I'm hoping to get one done tonight while half-watching football.