It's still quite summer here and will be for a long while yet so I don't really know why I was drawn to this fall-colored fabric today. But I was, and this 2-piece "dress" is the result. I think maybe I just wanted to finally get it out of the stash. And even though the colors are autumnal, I will probably ignore that and still wear it to work this coming week. A good thing about a new job is that all your clothes are new again, but, really, they aren't to me and something new and colorful will be fun.
The patterns are Butterick 5429 for the top and Simplicity 2185 for the skirt. I've made the top before, but with the sleeves. This time, I left them off per the red version on the envelope. I like it a lot and am already planning another. I wonder if I can get away with a few in solid colors for layering in "winter." I haven't hemmed the bottom and am still deciding if I will leave it raw, use a hem facing, or add a band. I'm leaning toward leaving it raw since it lays nice and flat which adds to the dress illusion. The fabric is a border print slinky. The real slinky ... ribbed, acetate blend, liquid and cool to the touch. It's been aging in the stash a few years. I think it came from Fabric.com.
The skirt has separate pattern pieces for both knit and woven versions. Of course, I chose knit. I live in knits. The knit version has a sewn-on casing for an elastic waist. I omitted that and just serged elastic to the top edge, turned it down to the inside, and then coverstitched it in place. I also added about 3 inches to the length at the bottom. The long and short version both use the same pattern pieces, so I just drew a line (it's a curved hem so I had to actually measure) and cut 3 inches below the printed cut line for the shorter version and tossed the extra tissue. I figured if I ever actually want the long version, I'll just use the pieces for the woven view and sew with smaller seam allowances.
This is the skirt pattern I had cut the tissue for last weekend and then set aside. I'll be making this one again too. It's a very easy sew and I really like the version with the ruffles, although I would probably only use one at the side. I don't need a flounce starting at my belly.
I tried to line up the border "stripes" at the sideseam as best as I could, but the front pieces are shaped such that it's impossible to get a perfect match. Still, I managed to do fairly well and visually from a distance they will read as matching and I'm happy with that.
Here's a closer view of the twist. This top goes together very quickly. It's only 3 pieces if you leave off the longer sleeves. Four if you add them. No facings or bindings - just fold over a narrow hem where needed and stitch. The twist adds visual interest and with the top yoke, is high and modest. Many twist tops do their thing at the center bust, which can result in work INappropriate boobaliciousness.
Parting shot: Puppy love.