Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Clown Pants (or why one should make a muslin)

This is either the beginning or the end of my saga with the Elizabeth Suzann Clyde Work Pants. Which of those outcomes will be determined by my desire to spend hours with my seam ripper and ability to find something to stream on the ol' tube to keep me occupied while I do so. I note this pattern is now $22. When I bought it, it was free/pay-what-you-can. According to my account on the website, I paid $15. I also think I probably would NOT pay $22. Especially when the very similar Muna and Broad Sculthorpe Pants are available for $16.

I bought and assembled this pattern right before my sewjo went on hiatus a couple of years ago. Since it was pretty much begging to be next, I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl. I can definitely use a pair of dog walking pants. They were never slated to become more than very casual, wear mostly at home pants. But I also optimistically thought "Who knows? Maybe they'll be great." And the pattern gods laughed.
Did I try them on as I went? No. In hindsight, since I wasn't making a muslin, I definitely should have basted everything together before committing to all the serging and topstitching. Yeah, even crusty old sewists make rookie mistakes. Hubris, thy name is Debbie. 

The photos below REALLY do not do justice to just how BIG these are on me. I have a large tummy. I have large thighs. And I have enough room in the pants legs for a small animal. Or even a medium-size one.
I picked my size from the body and finished garment measurement charts and from notes on the retail side of the ES website noting model measurements vs. the size they were wearing. Someone is fibbing. On the bright side, if you thought you were sized out of this pattern by a couple of sizes, you probably aren't. 

I think they're salvageable. It's just going to be a question of how much patience I have in me for ripping out every serged and topstiched seam. Right now, I feel up to it. Stay tuned.

Other thoughts on this pattern: Assembly of the PDF was easy enough. The instructions are so-so. I mean, they will definitely get the job done and are nicely illustrated, but I don't like the order of assembly. For one example, instead of sewing the crotch seam last from front to back with the legs one inside the other, you sew the crotch seams separately and then the inseams as one long stretch. Pretty sure this is to make topstitching the CF and CB seams easier, but I'd rather do it all in one go. So, it's really just a preference thing on my part and not a slam of the instructions. I also don't think I'm going to be a fan of the method for attaching the waist elastic, but I haven't gotten there yet. 

But what I really do not like and will slam a bit for is that notches are severely lacking for aligning the pocket pieces and all the leg panels. For the legs, there's one notch at the waist and one notch at the waist. And all the notches are just one single line/snip, so it would be very easy to mix up front and back panels since the panels are all very similar shapes. It would also be very easy to mix up front and back crotch seams for the same reasons. It's not that I need the notches for lining up the pieces, but more for identifying which piece is which. 

TL;DR: If you do make this pattern, be sure to keep track of and/or label your pattern pieces.  

Parting shot: My sewing buddy Cyrus who follows me room to room wherever I go. (Ignore the pile of crap to the right of the cutting table which still needs to be relocated.)
 

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see posts from you again! And Cyrus is adorable. Gotta love a sewing buddy that stays by your side

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you could just not pick things out and call them pajama bottoms? I too am pleased you have the time and energy and desire to post again, I always enjoy seeing what you are sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they look huge to me. I, too, am a sewist. I prefer to sew the crotch in front and back and then sew ankle to ankle. I am not fond of one leg inside the other. Good luck. I would just put these aside or wear as is around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we all have those piles of crap, Debbie! I agree on sequence and know your persistence will reign. I have just done two pants with the Top Down Center Out method. I was a real skeptic. No more. Would love to know your thoughts if you give it a try. It eliminates so much pant fitting misery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Clyde's too, but haven't made them yet. They look similar to Closet Core's Pietra pants, which I love, but as I recall they were huge when I muslined them. I ended up sizing down 3 sizes, and the same thing happened with the Papercut Patterns Palisade pants. Maybe I'll stick with what I've already worked out. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can heartily recommend Simplicity 9471 as a better version of trouser than the one you feature in this posting. It's already printed, the notches line up; and the two versions I have sewn so far are workhorses in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn’t bother unstitching seams! You have enough room left over to simply cut them off. I’ve lost 69 lbs in five years. So to take my 3xor 4x pants down I just cut off the sams after figuring what I need to leave. A lot quicker than the seam ripper and served seams.
    I, like everyone else, am glad you’re back! I LOVE your writing style!!!
    Long time reader (lurker), Renita in NC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rats, I hate it when a pattern does not work out, but right now I am in wedding dress hell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put down that seam ripper! These pants are fine as is, in fact if tbey wdre mine I'd probably size up a bit. Pants are no longer meant to be skin tight, you were just distracted while the styles changed. Attach that waistband in your favorite way (instructions are nust a suggestion) and wear proudly. You'll be the most stylish dog walker, and as a bonus the most comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO good to read your posts again Debbie! These pants remind me of the time I tried Park Bench Patterns...bbrrr....and if you review this 9n PR it will be a good warning! So glad your sewjo is back...missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are ridiculously large and I certainly wouldn't pay anything for this pattern. However I recon its a case of just taking the "princess "seams in back and front and from and sides isn't it ? At least you have a lot of seams to take a bit out of so that you wont upset the proportions of the pattern .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry your newly returned sewing mojo had to conquer a disappointing pattern, but I am so, so happy--nay, elated--that you are blogging again. THANK YOU! You were missed a great deal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.