Saturday, July 15, 2023

Just like riding a bike (or I sewed a Love Notions Rhapsody Blouse)

I actually cut out and finished a new top in a week. Yay me! I can't tell you the last time that happened. But before I get into the nitty gritty, let me tell you what NOT to do when you return to sewing after an extended absence.

1. Don't choose predominately black fabric, especially if using black thread. And really especially if you're over 40 and sewing sometimes at night.

2. Don't think you can outsmart shifty fabric when attempting to make/apply double-fold bias binding without reacquainting yourself with the process and the tools. Yes, I used spray sizing to stiffen it up. Yes, it was better. Yes, I still managed to bungle it in places. Thank heaven for Wonder Tape and glue sticks, and the Galloping Horse Rule

3. Don't try to move your ironing board with a hot iron standing up on it, or you'll end up with the iron wobbling and then crashing to floor with a horrible BANG! and multiple cracks and chips in the outer pieces. So far, it seems to still work OK but as soon as I saw the chips and cracks, I RAN to my computer/Amazon and ordered a new one, which arrived yesterday. I like this iron a lot so I'd rather have one waiting on stand-by instead of wishing I did. 
 
So, with that fun stuff out of the way, let's jump into it. 

I bought, downloaded, and printed this pattern at the office long before we even heard of a pandemic. (Remember those days?) And it sat. During that time, Love Notions updated their sizing and I downloaded and printed the update. And still it sat. Until my sewjo finally came back this month, after being AWOL for years. 
What also sat, and this is embarrassing to admit, was this fabric — on my dryer for years. Yes, at least 2 years. Right on top of my dryer. Somehow I thought that by seeing it on a regular basis, I would force myself to use it. Every time I saw it, I did think about sewing and my heart would flutter a little bit, but I just couldn't get myself to actually start anything. Until last week.

Here's the finished top, and like everyone else who's made it, I really like it. I still need to toss it into the laundry before I can wear it to remove all the Wonder Tape and glue left over from struggling with the bias binding. The fabric is a really nice crepe rayon from Blackbird Fabrics.
Rear view, where you can hopefully see I converted the back pleat to gathers. I just don't think an inverted back pleat is flattering to my backside. The gathers distribute the fabric better over my terrain in my opinion. Plus, it matches the gathers at the front extended yoke/shoulder seams.
Voila! Some of my wobbly binding stitching. Absolutely NO ONE is going to be inspecting my stitch distances, so I called it Good Enough.  
Another thing I changed/added, was edgestitching along the front "shoulder" seam and …
… along the back yoke seam. I think this just gives a more finished look and also holds down seam allowances underneath. 
I think the pattern is pretty good. I love, love that Love Notions' patterns are No Trim. You just print, lay out the pages, and tape or glue. So easy. So fast. 

The sizing seems to be accurate to my measurements. I used the full bust front piece and sized from 2X at the neck/chest/armholes gradually to 4x for my Pandemic hips. (How long can I blame the Pandemic for my butt?) The only other adjustment I did was to make a square shoulder adjustment at the front yoke and armholes. Oh, I also used the cap sleeve option but added an inch to its length but that was a preference thing, not a fit thing.

The instructions were good, but I changed the order/method of some things to my preference. Specifically, I did the binding before adding the sleeves and closing up the sideseams. And gritted my teeth the entire time. I did NOT use French seams and instead just serged the insides. (Let's not push this return to sewing thing too far.) And I already mentioned the added edgestitching.

I haven't knotted the tie ends yet. I need to decide if I like them this length or want them shorter. I didn't really pay attention to that when I tried on the final top and then just didn't want to strip down again. 

I bought a new table for my machines today and I have one more piece of fabric that has also been sitting on my dryer …

* * * * *

Thank you to everyone who's still been checking this space and for leaving a comment last week. I'm really hoping to become a more regular blogger again. Lots of (mostly boring) stuff has happened in the last couple of years. I'm sure I'll be throwing in tidbits of all of that at some point. 

14 comments:

  1. I also have this pattern and not used it yet...but I am inspired to start now. Glad I am not the only one that has to have a spare iron in the closed, just in case something happens to the one that I also have knocked onto the floor several times. Happy to see you back!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha.. I've got a spare iron too.. my Mum's old one and have dropped my iron a few time so it's got some glue sticking it together but it works and I'm not getting rid of it. I love the galloping horse theory and akin to what I say - if you are that close to notice, you need to buy me dinner. Your top is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see you blogging again Debbie! I really should revive my blog...i checked and it has been 2 years since I posted! Seems like many of our blogging crowd got busy or started vlogging instead. I'm just too dorky to put out videos ๐Ÿคฃ! I love the Rhapsody too (all Love Notions patterns actually! We were discussing coverstitch machines at our ASG meeting and I recommended your tutorials, as I always find them so helpful! Hope your sewjo continues and we see more of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY! ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿงต๐Ÿชก๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป❣️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed you and I’m so happy to see your post. Great blouse. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you took the time to share your make; I have that pattern & you've inspired me. Yay! Wishing you well. C Beckenhaupt in NY

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that you feel like sewing again! I think you picked a great "return to sewing" project. Like you I value the easy to assemble Love Notions' PDFs, and I especially enjoy my Rhapsodies. As odd as it sounds, I've grown to enjoy hand basting. Not only does it make my topstitching more accurate, but I actually enjoy topstitching now. Of course I love my glue sticks, especially with cottons, but I prefer hand basting with drapey fabrics like rayon. I had to laugh about the fabric on the dryer. I don't think it's been two years but it's getting close. I have a piece there that I plan to use but am dragging my feet on getting the pattern drafted. Congrats on getting your Rhapsody done. I hope it makes you smile every time you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty - your blouse has convinced me to buy this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I leave something out as a reminder to do something with it, it's shocking how quickly I can become blind to it. Yet it's out of sight, out of mind, so things don't get done that way either.
    Bummer on the bias woes, but with that fabric, it still looks good. Anyone who gets close enough to see issues better be a *very* good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth! I'm coming to join you, honey! lolololol

    Whooooa. I am so happy to see you again. It's like catching up with an old friend: we just pick up where we left off. The "3 things not to do" list had me nodding in fierce agreement. No one, and I mean NO ONE, told me eyesight over 40 was going to be like this!

    The fabric for your top is divine and a perfect pairing with this pattern.

    I missed you and glad to see you're okay! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to have you back and with a pattern review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving that top! Must be great in the weather you're currently experiencing. Also, I understand about the sewjo thing. Mine is also missing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fabric is terrific. So glad you were inspired to sew it up. This will look great on you. The style looks very comfy with lots of options for sleeves. Seems like a great pattern for drapey fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.