Monday, November 6, 2023

Second verse, better than the first - Another C&N Fringe Dress

While my sewjo didn't disappear again, it was having a severe case of analysis paralysis. I just could NOT decide what I wanted/needed to make next. I have so many things I want to make that I can't make up my mind (sound familiar?).

After making my first Chalk & Notch Fringe Dress, I had pulled out a much nicer quality cut of rayon to make a second Fringe Dress, but I kept telling myself I didn't need a second one quite so soon. But then I couldn't decide what to make instead and this fabric and my pattern languished on my cutting table, whispering to me. Since I wasn't coming up with an alternative, I finally decided to just give in  to the whispers and make the darn thing. Here it is. 
I'm not sure where the fabric came from at this point. Fabricmart? Fabric.com (RIP)? It's been in the stash for years. But it's much, much nicer than the navy dotty challis from the first Fringe. This one is a black rayon crepe with ivory herbs? (no idea) printed on it. In person, they do read as a horizontal and vertical pattern so I cut the front bodice pieces single layer to match the print. I think I did pretty well.  
Since I was topstitching the facing, I wanted it to actually show, so I used a matching ivory/beige thread for the facing, and the sleeve cuffs. I went back to black thread for the skirt-to-bodice seam and bottom hem since I didn't think those needed to be quite so visual. Plus, I was playing thread chicken with the ivory and the bottom hem is fairly long. The buttons are silver metal from the button stash. I only had 4 so 4 it was. They are non-functioning since this dress goes on over my head. Which means I still haven't sewn buttonholes on my new machine. 
And apparently the sewjo knew best since the Fringe #1 is already showing wear/tear. I knew this fabric wasn't going to last. I have an identical cut but with an olive green background. It's not going to get anywhere near a final version of anything and will be regulated to muslin status. I'm disappointed because I really like the navy version, so I'll be on the look out for a similar but high quality fabric for a future Fringe #3. 
Next up is what I hope to be a very quick HP Beatnik sweatshirt since the temps are dropping here in Florida next week to a frigid 50ish (ha!) and I don't have sweatshirts I want to wear out of the house. I'm going to lengthen the sleeves and probably narrow the neckline and attach ribbing. 

14 comments:

  1. I really like the print on that dress! Glad it's more substantial than the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa!

      Delete
    2. Argg. New work browser and I didn't sign in. That was me.

      Delete
  2. I love your dress - the fabric is so interesting and the buttons are perfect for it. It's so sad when you put work into a garment that doesn't last - especially when you like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will just have to consider the first one a wearable muslin. I will probably only have it for another month of laundering before it's a goner. RIP. lol

      Delete
    2. Argg. New work browser and I didn't sign in. That was me.

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress Debbie, so comfortable to wear. Why not try buttonholes in the hoop in embroidery mode. I always use this method, which is more accurate for placement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think buttonholes will be fine on my new machine - I just wasn't going to add any on this dress regardless. Thank you for the suggestion though.

      Delete
    2. Argg. New work browser and I didn't sign in. That was me.

      Delete
  4. Sew (so) aggravating when fabric does not hold up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it! But I knew from just feeling it before I sewed the first dress, this was going to be the likely outcome. I'm kind of disappointed that Fabricmart sold such low quality fabric.

      Delete
  5. I love this dress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Debbie -- your attention to detail is amazing. You nailed the pattern matching across the front of this dress and the ivory thread there is perfect. I'm glad this one is the better fabric that will last longer for you, and thanks for the tip about retrieving good buttons from garments gone bad. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! This fabric is so much nicer so I'm definitely glad I made another Fringe since this one will last a lot longer.

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.