Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Still No Clothing


I have too many ideas and plans going on in my head right now. There are about 5 purse designs I want to get into pattern form and make, and at least as many clothing patterns I want to sew. I mentioned that I picked up some Simplicity patterns on sale the other day. Three of those are skirt patterns. Before that, I added a couple of Vogue dress patterns to the collection.There are just not enough hours in the day.

At the moment purses are winning, mostly because my sewing room is already in purse-making mode (read: a MESS of purse stuff), but also because I'm not entirely motivated to sew clothes that aren't going to fit long. It's not so much the sewing, but the "wasting" of favorite fabrics. If I make something and love it, I'm going to be sad when I have to put it in the "too big" box.

So yesterday, I made a pattern and a bag for a simple tote style but one which zips. Totes are great, until you set them on the car seat next to you and then make a hard right turn and everything spills out. Plus, I wanted a less-pricey option for the M.o.M. store. That's it above.

Today, I'm going to be "studying" some graphics software. There is a months-long temporary job possibility but it requires experience with some specific software I've either never used or used a much older version years ago. I can easily work in any graphics software since they pretty much all do the same thing (generally speaking), but it's hard to get someone to believe that on just my word. So, my "headhunter" has purchased a tutorial course for me and then I'll take a test at the end which she can show as "proof" I know what I'm doing. All of this for a temp job? Yes, because it has a good possibility to lead to a permanent position with the same firm, or at the very least be extremely recent and relevant experience for my resume. So for the next 5 hours, I'll be watching streaming videos teaching me what I already know. ;-)

I'd rather be sewing.


14 comments:

  1. The tote looks awesome, I like that style of purse. Too big and I lose everything.

    Good luck staying awake through the training. I'd rather be sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, maybe the potential employer should just look at your blog and realize what a "jewel" you are. Good luck with "learning" what you already know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the placement! Most companies seem to be going with the 'hire a temp, then keep them on full time if they're any good' approach. The last 3 people my team hired originally came in as temps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cheering for you on the temp job...I just know that once they work with you they'll do what thay can to keep you!
    I'm really excited about the work you are doing on your MoM shop. You are so creative and thoughtful...I'm confident you will be successful here too.
    Goodluck with both ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! The totem bag where everything is lost ... I'm sure your creativity and talent that you possess will ensure this project work is durable, all my good wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son Jeff is taking long term temporary jobs because that's all there is out there. We hope something will come of it. Good luck with your hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! Like the zippered tote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy your posts. My son spent 13 weeks for the FAA training after he had been an air traffic controller in the air force for 6 years. FAA needed to know he knew what he knew. He had been a trainer in the air force. Just stick it out, hope it opens up something great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many talents. I'm praying that the right job comes along and they recognize what a jewel you are. Hang in there, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people rooting you on. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tote looks great. Go with what moves you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must be channeling the Hubs. He has similar aggravations with training videos (although he already has the job, so thats one benefit). Good luck with the temp position!

    The tote looks great! I'm eager to see what your purse designs look like. I have sewist's block and can't decide what to make next -- partly because it's just so darn HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the training.

    On a completely different note (which you probably answered way back), did you digitize the USMC emblem, or was that available somewhere (or a reasonable facsimile)? Not that I will ever use one, just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the studying went well. Fingers crossed on the gig!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the temp job--that seems to be how many companies are dipping their toe back into hiring right now.

    I got busy and missed reading your blog for a few weeks but just wanted to chime in that I'd be interested in your wallet pattern when it's ready for sale. DH and I both need new ones, and it hadn't occurred to me to sew them, but I think that would be more fun than buying them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.