Sunday, August 10, 2008

Copying Coldwater Creek Knotted Keyhole Top

The original Coldwater Creek top:



My copy:



Close-up:



I started with the gathered front tee bodice from Ottobre Woman (02/2007). The gathered front is an important detail for the knock-off. If you don't have a pattern like this, use any tee pattern and angle/slide the top edge back from the fold about 1-1/2" to create the gathering space in the fabric. (Thanks to Belinda for that great pattern hint!)



The pattern as traced from the magazine on the left. My "huge" change, on the right.



As you can see, all that's been changed is to cut out a U shape from the front.



I used my coverstitch machine and 3/8" (A) binder to bind the U cutout. If you don't have a CS machine and/or binder, you can use your favorite binding technique. (I'm too lazy to look for links for tutorials of other binding methods so you're on your own for that.)



Next, bring both top edges of the U together and zigzag down between them for about 1", catching each side in the ZZ so they are attached flush to each other. The right side is shown below. The ZZ will be covered so don't worry about thread color or neatness.



Trim excess binding. Don't trim until now or you won't have a "handle" to hold on to for the ZZ'ing above.



Bind the neckline edge.



From a scrap, cut a strip about 4" x 6" Length is not critical here and the width is however wide you want the knot to be, plus seam allowances. I always wing it on details like this. With right sides together, join the long edges (I ran it through the serger), turn right side out and press so that the seam is in the center of what will be the back side of the knot.



Wrap the tube around the top of the U you sewed together. The reason you want to start with the tube long is so that you have something to hold on to while you sew or serge across. I serged across to make the initial knot and then used my sewing machine to zigzag closer to the neckline binding without catching the neckline. Reposition the knot so this seam is at the back/wrong side of the tee.



Pin the knot in place so it doesn't move and fold back one side. Arrange the gathers evenly and then stitch through the tee, catching the back of the knot. This will hold the knot in place so it doesn't turn and expose the seaming from the step above. Repeat for the other side of the knot. Unfold the sides of the knot you moved out of the way to stitch.



The back side of the knot after tacking it in place.



The front of the knot. Now finish the top as any other tee and you're done.



The top on me. Sorry, but the brown is too dark to see any details. Hopefully you get the general idea. Remember, you can click on any photo in this entry for a larger version.

35 comments:

  1. Well that is too darn cute! I'm totally making one - thanks for the easy tutorial. :-) I'm loving your new skirt and matching top too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous top! Thanks for the tutorial. Hmmm, I think I'm needing that KS skirt pattern too. izzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived happily without a coverstitch machine until just now...

    when I realized how tedious all that binding would be without one.

    Sigh. someday.

    You've done a fantastic knock-off job...and I appreciate the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking top and skirt, Debbie! Thanks for the very helpful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how utterly cute! Looks great with that skirt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for getting that done so fast. Now it's my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great top and fantastic tutorial, Debbie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cold water Creek things I just look and drool over generally. Your interpretation is a fabulous way to use the famous ottobre tee pattern. Thanks for the pictures/tutorial. If I ever get my first one traced and made I will want to try this.mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, your efforts & spirit to share your expertise with us are highly commendable!!
    (That's English for "You're Awesome"!!)
    Warm greetings,
    Rhonda in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wizard at this,Debbie! And I LOVE the skirt too.
    Aless in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Debbie -- lovely top and I LOVE that skirt!!! (Yes, I do still follow your blog even if I haven't sewn anything in forever!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great tutorial! IT looks just like the original.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love the whole assemble - skirt and top - that really looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been following your blog for quite some time, and I have to come out of lurkdome to tell you I love this top. Its so fun to see the different things that can be done with the Ottobre T pattern. How big is the U shape that you cut out?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great knockoff! Think I'm going to have copy that one--thanks for the tutorial on the pattern changes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this top - thanks for sharing! I have learned so much from reading your blog. Thanks, Mechelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial = Priceless! And the top looks great with the skirt. I am going to try that out with my adapted Simplicty 4076 top. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this Debbie. I'm always looking for ways to "spice" up tees as that's my basic uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The skirt is fabulous - have we seen that before? It's your favorite KW pattern, right? Love the tutorial on the top - did you wear that outfit to the dog park? I would have!!! You look great. g

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie,
    Thanks for the tutorial, and all of the many you've done over the years. I appreciate the time you take to do this.
    On this top, I have one thought(beside how cute it is). When you're folding the "knot strip" back to tack it in place, couldn't you just keep folding back, folding back, until you've turned it inside out, then your serged seam would be inside the tube. I guess it depends on how much stretch the fabric has.
    Thanks again for all you do.
    Linda Mack

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Debbie! As always a great tutorial and another great looking top. I am still envious of anyone who has a cover stitch machine. One Day!!!!me too!! I love the top and it really looks good with that skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful interpretation! Complete with instructions!!!! Love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! I have always admired and used your tutorials, can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a fantastic job! Your top turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job, Debbie, I love it! thank you for the tutorial--I'll have to plan my own interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous!!

    I'm with Lisa on the coverstitch envy. Gah, where am I going to put another machine??

    ReplyDelete
  27. ooh I love this! Thanks for all the step by step photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great job you did. The top and whole outfit looks great. Very good tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super knock off. Love it and looks great on you. Thanks for the detailed tutorial/pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this modification. Thanks for the details; I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this! I was looking for neat tee embellishments, and this is inspiring. Easy-peasy, too, my FAV!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is darling, and soooo easy...thanks so much for sharing it!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is just too cute! Thanks so much for sharing it!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think this is the cutest idea. I hope you don't mind me using it and your instructions to make my granddaughters one just like it. You are so clever. Thanks for sharing your ability and know how with us less fortunate sewers.
    Sincerely,
    Texas Bonnet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.