I have finally managed to cut and sew the muslin for Butterick 5488, the dress I'm planning to sew and wear to DS#2's high school graduation on Friday. Yes, *this* Friday. Have I mentioned that I procrastinate?
The Good News: It fits. The photo above is the dress straight out of the envelope. Well, sort of. I did blend from the L (16-18) to the XL (24-26) as I cut out the tissue. My "cheater FBA," if you will. But no other alterations were done. As you can see, no additional FBA is needed. It fits around and over the girls great. The only "alterations" I will make to this pattern for the real dress is to add length to the body and to the sleeves. What you're seeing right now are the unhemmed lengths per the envelope and they are bordering on too short for my preference. Those are hardly alterations though. I may also sew with a slightly smaller seam allowance on the top sleeve seam just to give me a skootch bit more bicep room. Again, hardly an alteration since I don't have to do anything to the tissue for that.
In the photo above if you look closely, you can see that I've just pinned the sideseams, and very messily at that. I actually sewed the sleeves and underarms down to about bust level and left the rest of the sideseams unsewn in case I needed more room. My ugly pin job tells me it's fine with the 5/8" seam allowance. Which means — there is a LOT of ease in this pattern, so be warned. My butt needs the ease so it's all good for me. Your butt may, and probably does, vary. ;-)
I'm thrilled because this means I should have enough time to get the real thing made by Friday afternoon — as long as my fabric shows up by Thursday (it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, which would rock!). If not, I'll have to go to a Plan B from the closet.
Now please understand, this is just a muslin in the most horrible poly knit I had kicking around in the stash. The color and that much light-colored solid does nothing for me. But I'm not planning to wear it anywhere and it will hit the trash as soon as the real dress is finished. It won't even be a nightie because the knit is way too hot and thick.
Here's a better view of the front and back:
The pattern has an UNshaped CB seam for the body of the dress. I left it off for my muslin and just cut on fold. I may add the seam back in for a slight "sway back" type adjustment, but that may be me just overthinking. I'm happy the way it is and if I leave out that seam, I won't have to worry about the print landing funky on either side of it. Hmmm. I think I've just talked myself back out of the seam. ;-) Because this dress has so much ease, I can't imagine what Butterick was thinking when they added it, which is why I left it out to begin with. Butterick should really ask me about these things first. ;-) LOL!
I think this dress, shortened, will also make a cute tee. Very similar to my beloved HP Sunshine top, but a little different so that not every single top in my summer wardrobe is one of three patterns.
* * * * *
Thank you everyone for your supportive comments for me and my soon-to-be Marine son. It means a lot to me. Especially today on our (American) Memorial Day.
My #MMMay17 Pledge
21 minutes ago