Monday, May 31, 2010

I May Have a New Dress In Time After All



I have finally managed to cut and sew the muslin for Butterick 5488, the dress I'm planning to sew and wear to DS#2's high school graduation on Friday. Yes, *this* Friday. Have I mentioned that I procrastinate?

The Good News: It fits. The photo above is the dress straight out of the envelope. Well, sort of. I did blend from the L (16-18) to the XL (24-26) as I cut out the tissue. My "cheater FBA," if you will. But no other alterations were done. As you can see, no additional FBA is needed. It fits around and over the girls great. The only "alterations" I will make to this pattern for the real dress is to add length to the body and to the sleeves. What you're seeing right now are the unhemmed lengths per the envelope and they are bordering on too short for my preference. Those are hardly alterations though. I may also sew with a slightly smaller seam allowance on the top sleeve seam just to give me a skootch bit more bicep room. Again, hardly an alteration since I don't have to do anything to the tissue for that.

In the photo above if you look closely, you can see that I've just pinned the sideseams, and very messily at that. I actually sewed the sleeves and underarms down to about bust level and left the rest of the sideseams unsewn in case I needed more room. My ugly pin job tells me it's fine with the 5/8" seam allowance. Which means — there is a LOT of ease in this pattern, so be warned. My butt needs the ease so it's all good for me. Your butt may, and probably does, vary. ;-)

I'm thrilled because this means I should have enough time to get the real thing made by Friday afternoon — as long as my fabric shows up by Thursday (it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, which would rock!). If not, I'll have to go to a Plan B from the closet.

Now please understand, this is just a muslin in the most horrible poly knit I had kicking around in the stash. The color and that much light-colored solid does nothing for me. But I'm not planning to wear it anywhere and it will hit the trash as soon as the real dress is finished. It won't even be a nightie because the knit is way too hot and thick.

Here's a better view of the front and back:





The pattern has an UNshaped CB seam for the body of the dress. I left it off for my muslin and just cut on fold. I may add the seam back in for a slight "sway back" type adjustment, but that may be me just overthinking. I'm happy the way it is and if I leave out that seam, I won't have to worry about the print landing funky on either side of it. Hmmm. I think I've just talked myself back out of the seam. ;-) Because this dress has so much ease, I can't imagine what Butterick was thinking when they added it, which is why I left it out to begin with. Butterick should really ask me about these things first. ;-) LOL!

I think this dress, shortened, will also make a cute tee. Very similar to my beloved HP Sunshine top, but a little different so that not every single top in my summer wardrobe is one of three patterns.

* * * * *

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments for me and my soon-to-be Marine son. It means a lot to me. Especially today on our (American) Memorial Day.

30 comments:

  1. I think that will look great made up. I do the "cheater FBA" sometimes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I have also used a larger size below the yoke instead a "real" FBA. I'm looking forward to seeing the "real" dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Dress. I was so impressed when that first photo dropped down. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think much of this dress pattern when I first saw it...but due to your muslin I may take another look! Can't wait to see your real one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, on the 15th, my son graduated from college. In West Virginia. It's a 6 hour drive. On the 14th, I started the dress for his graduation at noon, and finished at 5:36, so we could begin our drive. THAT, my friend, is procrastination. Yours looks like it will be a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, I was thinking "why did she make it in that incredibly boring beige?" Which would be SO unlike you, of the fabulous prints & awesome color palette! It fits perfect! Woohoo! I don't have this pattern, I guess I'll have to suffer through this summer with my HP Sunshine top. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, from here, I like the color on you. It looks quite dressy. But I'll take your word on it that it does nothing for you. Maybe in a nicer fabric...?

    Looking forward to the "real" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with both MarilynP and Carolyn. I'm going to have to get this pattern. It will be great for extra warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this dress for a concert next weekend. After seeing your muslin, I know what changes I need to make to the pattern. Thanks, your comments are so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I am just cutting out a dress that I need to wear Friday too. Great minds think alike. :) Looks like a nice dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this style of dress. It is very flattering and looks wonderful on you as a muslin ~ I think the real dress :) will be gorgeous! I hope your fabric comes in on time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this style of dress, good luck getting it made for the graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I think your muslin, pinned seams and all, looks pretty darned good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been thinking about you and your dress muslin over the weekend, wondering how you were getting on. Nice to see the sewing gods are on your side. I might have to have another look at this pattern. It would make a nice knit top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even in the yucky fabric it looks good on you. Makes me want the pattern. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie the dress looks like a keeper (the pattern!).

    May I ask: Why not put the dress in a Goodwill or St Vincent de Paul or other clothing donation box? I routinely do that with mock-ups that I have no intention of wearing. (bad color for me, bad outcome, or whatever). DH thinks I'm crazy to hem and finish these things, but, hey, someone else might get some good wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If the muslin looks this good you're going to look great. I like the length on this too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am quaking here. I hate to be negative. Am I the only one that thinks this pattern just screams mumu? Honestly, it looks like something my grandma wore around the house in the 70s. I personally like things to be more fitted. Something like this would just look like a big old tent on me. However, even though your cup size is much bigger than mine (lucky you), the dress doesn't seem to "tent" like I just know it would on me. Even though it's a light color it also isn't making you look as large as I think it would make me look. Honestly it's not that bad. That I can't understand. Still I like things more fitted on myself but what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anon 3:29 - we don't all have to like the same things but one of the reasons I picked this dress is *because* it's not fitted. It's going to be hot and muggy and I want air circulation. Yes, there is some "muumuu" to it, but I'm OK with it for comfort for the event. And I'm not a twig in anything I wear, so it's not like I'd really be hiding what's really underneath. ;-)

    Please sign your name next time - it's OK. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really don't think it's mumuish at all.
    It looks great on you and I'll bet it's very comfy.

    I also use "cheater" fba on knits. so much easier than doing a real one or pivot and slide. Works great too!
    Mermie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this dress. I have a similar style RTW that I live wear constantly in summer. Perfect for your climate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like this one on you! Great neckline and it looks like it will be a loose, comfy dress without being "mumu"-esque. I can't wait to see the real one all done up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made the same dress this weekend in navy knit. Instead of pleating, I gathered. I was afraid the pleats would "pop" over the girls and thought small gathers might be softer. I added some to the side seams but I think I'll take it out--about 3 in. each side! It went together very easily, rides across the curves nice and gently, is too short(!!) but I ran out of length, and why on earth they said to use a zipper, hmmm, maybe they have a deal with the zipper makers. My sleeves fit right out of the envelope and, trust, usually adjustment is needed. I'm not sure if I like how far down the back falls. I was wondering if it would work with silk. Anyway, I'm a fan of your version and look forward to the graduation version!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the dress is super cute! You can also add a tie belt when you don't need all the "air circulation" I have a Kwik Sew pattern that is similar, but I'm going to get this one too - it's just enough different.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it Debbie, you are going to look smashing in the good one. Happy graduation event.

    ReplyDelete
  26. why not dye it. It looks great on you despite it not being your colour. Or donate it...

    Yvonne (a new blog reader)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderfull Dress ! I look foward to buy the same pattern !
    Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.