I'm still working on the blog update, lots of stuff to move over from my website, but that was getting tedious so instead last night I finished these shorts I had started for DS#2 and then zoned in front of the tube.
The facial expression is typical of a teenager just out of the shower at 6:30 AM and on his way to school. His hands rammed down in the pockets don't help show how these shorts actually fit. I also told him a navy tee would look good so he picks a green one. But, what do you want at 6:30 AM from said teenager? ;-)
I did not plan the symmetry of the stripes on each body half. It just happened. But I did plan asymmetry on various other parts like the pockets, waistband, etc., because I was not going to be able to match the side cargo pockets to both sides of the legs so I went with the mismatching as a "design feature." It's actually harder to *not* match sometimes.
They are "pirate shorts" because before I hemmed them, they came way below his knee and with the stripes, raw edge, and bare feet, he decided they looked like, well, pirate shorts. The fabric is from Gorgeous Fabrics. It's denim with heavy sizing applied, but after prewashing it's actually *very* lightweight denim so these shorts may not last past summer with the wear and tear DS#2 typically inflicts upon his pants. Oh well. At least it's a sizable pile out of the stash closet since there was no way I was going to wear these stripes.
With his hands still in his pockets, the back view isn't much better. They really do fit fine, just not when they're being pulled up and to the front. And yes, all these years and I still do not have a kitchen floor.
This is the same pattern I used for those pants that I cut off into shorts the other day (which I still haven't taken a pic of). I've gotten good use from it, but I'd really like a different pattern for him for a change of pace. Trying to find fashionable (and I use that term loosely) patterns for teens/young adults who wear mens' sizes is even more difficult than trying to find fashionable mens' patterns at all. What is wrong with these pattern companies? Aren't they following Peter or Brian? Or me??
Enough kvetching. Here's a flat view of the back:
The pocket patch is a label that came as a hang-tag on some RTW. I stashed it away for just this purpose, and zig-zagged it onto the pocket.
Here's one of the side cargo pockets, with double snap closure. Topstitching was done on the Viking 6010, with true Gutermann topstitching thread. IOW, heavy stuff. Since this color was only available in (expensive) small spools, I used regular sewing thread in the bobbin for economy. The stitches look a little wonky (sorry Peter) along the edge of the pleat but in real life they're fine. The photo resizing wasn't kind to all of the striping pixels.
I copied a pair of RTW shorts for these "lazy" belt loops. They are folded under at the top edge of the waistband and left with the raw edge exposed on the lower edge, then straight-stitched back and forth a few times, going past the loop itself, to anchor each end in place. The "deconstructed" look sure is a timesaver. ;-)
The other thing you can't see is that I added an inside drawstring, with two inside buttonholes into the waistband. Again, stolen from the RTW shorts. DS#2 likes the adjustability factor for when denim stretches during the day.
All in all, a successful project. Arggg, matey!
My #MMMay17 Pledge
35 minutes ago