Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Pattern (and Year)!

When I'm not sewing, I'm buying. These all fell into my shopping cart today after discovering that BMV was having a good sale on all three brands. I also went ahead and signed up again for Club BMV after bowing out for the last couple of years. Since I'm earning back a lot of the $9.99 sale cost in just this order and I know there will be other orders in the coming year, I figure I'm not wasting money.



The two patterns from this order that have my attention and the greatest chance of getting sewn sooner rather than later are:

1. Vogue 1268. I love the 1980s/Working Girl vibe going on with this. I definitely would've worn (and rocked!) this in 1985 and I'm hoping I can wear it in 2012, but not quite as short as shown on the model. Truth be told, I would be perfectly content for 1980s styles (big hair and shoulder pads and everything) to come back into style. I loved that look. Or maybe it was just a good decade for me overall.



2. McCall's 6519. I like the draped side action going on, but this one will need sleeves stolen from another pattern. The skirt is kind of cute too and may make it into the queue.


It seems I'm drawn to dresses lately (Hi Carolyn!). I guess that's since I now have a crap-ton of skirts and the mojo needs to be fed.Plus, what's not to love about throwing on one garment in the early morning hours and heading out the door?

* * * * *

Thanks for sharing in my happiness at the unsolicitation on my newest outfit. No, I did not ask his name or say that I had made the outfit, but I did look right back at him and say, "Thank you" with a big smile. Frankly, I was too surprised to do much more. As some of you commented, how often do you hear a *man* complimenting in more than a general type of way about an outfit? I know that I will think of this compliment every time I wear the outfit.

* * * * *

I've been enjoying all the recaps in blogland the last few days and wish I could be a similarly introspective blogger on New Year's Eve, but alas, I am not. A lot has happened and a lot more is still to come, but I think overall, it's actually been a positive year. I'm pretty sure I'm getting this job (more details were shared by coworkers and my agency this week), I'm happier now about the way I look than I've been in years which does great things to self-esteem and confidence, and I've got a lot of good changes to come. I'm grateful for all of your support and I'm looking forward to 2012. It's going to be the best year ever!!

Happy New Year everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Debbie. I've got good vibes for 2012 so let it roll on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What started out as a bummer has turned into a good year for you. Happy New Year, Debbie, and fingers crossed for your job! (Now, I've got to look at patterns; I love the 80s clothes, too...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 80s clothes also!
    What a great compliment and a great ego boost for you. Way to go!
    Fingers crossed on the job front for you - so happy that you love your job and hopefully it will continue.
    Saw the BMV sale and promptly ordered 7 patterns - I've discovered that to order up to 7 patterns it costs me $25 shipping -any more that that it goes to $50Didn't think about membership - should have as I've been buying most of my patterns from them - so, next sale they have, I'll take out membership and a mag subscription also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New year to you, Debbie. I've always enjoyed your helpful and inspiring blog, but it's heart warming to hear you be happy through life's ups and down. And yes, I loved the 80's probably because big hair and shoulder pads were a nice balancing act for the rest of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb - I've been in mourning for shoulder pads ever since they got taken out. I am still holding on to a plastic baggie of them in a bureau drawer, hoping they will come back since I have these droopy shoulders and can use all the definition I can get. Here's wishing you a great 2012 - you are definitely on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Debbie!!! Looks like we have all hit 2012 planning and sewing in the fast lane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Debbie! Sounds like 2012 is going to start out great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your last paragraph was the best retrospective for 2011 ever! And of course you like a dress now, once you have to get dressed every morning, it does make it so much easier doesn't it!?

    BTW, I bought the same Vogue dress pattern and actually found a cute piece of moleskin in my fabric collection to make it up in...now to see if it gets made because I'm off in designer fantasy land!

    Can't wait to see what you make in 2012! And all the changes in your personal life just means that you will have a more fulfilling life in 2012!

    Love you too!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you an yours. 2011 saw big changes for you with more to come in 2012. Fingers crossed that your dream job is permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous way to be heading into the new year - feeling positive. Wishing you all the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy new year to you Debbie! I also added the 9.99 subscription back to my cart, as it paid for itself on the this order!
    It was fun to look at your order...we didn't even have ONE pattern alike. Of course, I'm still on my Eileen Fisher inspired wardrobe kick, so that limits what I'm picking out. :)

    Good luck with the job and your sewing adventures in the new year!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one thing I can't shake from the 80s is frosted lipstick. If it doesn't have some sparkle, I can't wear it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm unlurking long enough to wish you a Happy New Year, and to say thanks for all the sewing skills you share on your blog.

    I've learned a lot from your pattern alteration tips, and I enjoy seeing your projects as they come down the line.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new year Debbie!! Sounds like 2012 is going to be a great year (just some unpleasant details to get through).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you all the best for 2012, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww, you go Debbie!!!
    I'm so happy for you!
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.