Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Simplicity 1849: In Progress and my TNTee


I'm still waiting to hit the wall since I don't know where this energy spurt is coming from but until I smack it, I'll take what I can get and not question it. Tonight I cut out the Simplicity 1849 "muslin" which, as you can see, isn't really a muslin at all. This is actually a fairly new ITY knit, bought from Fabric.com a couple of weeks ago. It barely made it out of the washer/dryer before it hit the cutting table.

So far, so good. At least as far as pieces fitting together. I need to baste the back piece on before I know whether it really fits. I do have a concern about the left overlay piece (on your right), since the way it's supposed to be cut (and was) ends up with no side-to-side stretch. It's basted in place until the try-on and will be easy enough to recut in the opposite direction if I find the stretch is needed. I'm also following Sheila's lead and leaving off the cumbersome facings. I'll just turn the neck edges under and coverstitch, probably over some clear elastic for stability and recovery.

I had a few questions about my Ottobre TNT tee. The issue is 02/2007 and is still available here. Here's all the patterns in this issue and now that I've revisited it, I see a couple of skirts I forgot I wanted to make. Looks like the Carnival of Skirts will continue into November here.


Speaking of skirts, I also cut out another Magic Pencil from the "muslin" leftovers and it's laying on my pattern cabinet waiting its turn. If all goes well, I'll have a 2-piece "dress" and 2 separates that will fit into my wardrobe nicely. I love being in sizes that let me get a 3/4-sleeved top and a skirt from 2.5 yards of fabric on a whim.



5 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric choice for your S1849 and looking forward to the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it so far! Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric. And yes the parade of skirt will be going into November in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ride the wave!
    Your top is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I ordered that Ottobre & got it last night. Immediately traced the Tee and made it today from a scrap of navy knit. I love it! It could easily become my TNT. And I see 2 skirts I need to make, too. Lala

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.